1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

General and Secretary of State Colin Powell Dead at 84

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Gioan Baotixita

That’s right, bobrek seems to trust the lying MSM for whatever reason. I live very closely to him, I’ve invited him for some coffee before so we can do some ID verification and I can tell him the truth about how things work in the real world, he turned me down every time.

2. Gioan Baotixita

Lol, I’m more trustworthy than the MSM, you must believe me.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bullshit. I have personal experience where you have lied and by continuing to not admit you were wrong continue to implicitly lie. So take your "trustworthiness" and shove it.

4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Andre0087 and dachuda86 like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. bobrek

That's no fun. I'd miss too much idiotic ridiculousness.

Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  7. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

The war criminals could all use this line: "but anyway, may he rest in peace!"

8. Nook

Nook Member

Every single high ranking military man has a complicated legacy.... they have all seen or done things that they were uncomfortable with or should have been uncomfortable with. What I will say is that he appeared to always have what he felt was in the best interest of the USA at heart. He made mistakes, he believed in people he should not have and in part he was treated as a quasi God when he really did not deserve it, as he was just a man with an important job.

I do believe that at one point he believed his press clippings and that allowed him to be duped and his own ego got in the way. He indirectly spoke out against his prior actions later, I do not know if that was out of wanting to save his reputation or if it was that he realized his ego compromised him.

He also was someone that was "safe" for most Americans and used a shield to show that racism isn't "that bad" in the USA. He was black, and he was socially conservative and measured and non controversial.... so he was "safe" for white Americans and could be held up by conservatives as proof that they didn't hate ALL black people, those that toed the line were "okay"........... I suspect Powell was well aware of this later in his life, and that is part of why he spoke out as he did....... and oddly, the same people that praised him as an upstanding negro 20 years ago are not celebrating his death.

@Dairy Ashford

fchowd0311 and Dairy Ashford like this.
  9. Gioan Baotixita

You sound angry again, have you had your prune juice yet?

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

11. bobrek

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I guess these people don't understand chain of command and who makes the decisions in the executive branch.

Powell's issue was that he went along with it rather than pushing back. He wasn't a decision maker like Bush Jr, Rumsfield and Cheney.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Nazi concentration camp gaurds followed orders too. No excuses.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I used to think that as well. But to be honest, there are people on this site that are not interested in debate and discussion, but simply to troll reactions. They give the appearance of ignorance, repeating talking points they see that fly in the face of facts. But its pointless engaging them, its like wrestling hogs in a mud pit... they enjoy it, and you end up tired and dirty.

It was only a suggestion and I would never tell someone else what they should do. All I see are the unblocked responses and I scroll through those pretty quickly.

15. bobrek

Oh, I completely agree with you. Pretty sure I have no one on my ignore list. It helps keep my BP up interacting with idiots.

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is interesting to hear the people who looked the other way US soldiers were killed in Niger under Trump's watch and backed Trump when he abandoned the Kurds and allowed many ISIS prisoners to be freed, not to mention people who supported the invasion of Iraq, condemning Powell.

Powell certainly wasn't perfect but as already pointed out he at least recognized his mistakes and regretted it. He wasn't Rumsfeld who went to his grave believing that the invasion of the Iraq was correct.

Nook, fchowd0311 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I do cynically feel there was some pre-9/11, post-Cold War and -Private Ryan window where boomers were looking for an Eisenhower, and Powell could have fit the bill electorally while checking some historical boxes and not governing like a rich, born-again recovering addict of a Texan. The only point I would haggle on here is calling him socially conservative, although I think his pro-choice and pro-affirmative action stances were based less on any sense of personal compassion than with a slightly more technocratic and early postwar black perspective on how to optimize large scale economic outcomes. He may have been behaviorally conservative and pro-war enough to garner the kind of trust, respect and enthusiasm (Moseley-Braun) most black politicians back then were not getting from mainstream white voters, but in the '90s there were definitely socially mobile or solidly middle class blacks like my parents, probably doubly so as immigrants, who would have somewhat more earnestly used his trajectory as an example of black potential and payoff as much as some white conservatives might have to hint at their tolerance.

#97 Dairy Ashford, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    FranchiseBlade and Nook like this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm watching Dead Presidents, a movie about a black Vietnam vet and his struggles after the war.

I was curious about how many blacks served in Vietnam. The US was 11% black during Vietnam and 16% of the soilders were black

19. bobrek

11% is the total of blacks, correct? You'd have to pull out the number of eligible blacks and that number should be way lower.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When I looked up the numbers it mentioned educational standards being lowered