1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

General and Secretary of State Colin Powell Dead at 84

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 18, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol the media is the same media that tells you Michael Jordan never played in 95 against the Rockets

also I have friends who work as tv reporters in several cities
    Their stories and how politically these stories are chosen are eye opening

I’m a 99er like you brother
    Don’t think of me as some these suckers who believe in politics
    Think of me as the one who wants to burn it down

Gioan Baotixita and dachuda86 like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't have any problem with a reporter being offended by a truly offensive act or statement. Its not just a "modern" media phenomena. You don't think Cronkite would take his glasses off and show disgust if a past president said or did this?

Reporters became more focused on reporting the outrageous actions of government leaders in the Nixon era. And for good reason. But journalists criticizing government leaders has happened throughout time.

Coming back to trump... he brings this to a head. Past government leaders wouldn't even think of saying and doing what he has said and done. trump supporters support it, and other give it a pass which only enables it.

Me, I would like every republican running asked about his comment. Each and every time. At some point republican candidates will have to start disavowing it. Distancing themselves from him. If that happens, it might stop. But pretending its not happening sure won't.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We saw what happened with Trump's tweets. Suddenly Congressional Republicans forgot that Twitter was a thing.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

du
    I misread your post and I actually agree. Black people are prone to more health issues because of poverty and education.

So yes Powell is black but he obviouslt has access to doctors and he is educated. Blacks being at higher risk isn't like older people being at higher risk

tinman likes this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The dude lied about WMD's and was a central architect of the Iraq war which destroyed our economic future, led us to the Great Recession, and led to countless military and civilian deaths. Not sad at all except for his family who aren't guilty of his war crimes. This is like when John McCain died. The world is better off.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Their legacies are far more complex than that. Yes they did egregious things but one thing we can't peg on them is dividing the nation and threatening our stability.

#66 fchowd0311, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Agreed. Heck, there is probably very little politically that I can say I agreed with Ronald Reagan. And, I am sure there are things he did that I would even say were bad for the country. But that said... I would say he is still one of the great presidents. To think of past republicans and what exists now... wow.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Our school district...

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny to hear your kind say this now when back then you screamed for Iraqi blood at all costs.

But as soon as he criticized Trump, he all of a sudden became a punching bag to the alt-right.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

11. tinman

Supporting Member

again another great post by a real poster who's not an art history dropout like these art history dropouts

Powell had lots of things going against him health wise.

I'm actually curious what vaccine he got. He didn't get 'THE VACCINE' because there are different vaccines
    the dumb cable news makes you think it's one vaccine and it's fool proof.

DMX died too, he was Black and had health issues. Throwing the 'COVID' or 'Vaccinated' labels doesn't change that they had heath issues.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So... whenever the former President passes away, you'll be perfectly fine with Biden or Obama or any former President roasting him publicly via Twitter or whatever their medium of voice is?

B-Bob likes this.
  13. bobrek

It took all of 5 seconds to learn he had the Pfizer vaccine in February.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Powell was a person with very high integrity. I don't believe he lied us into the war. The Sec of Defense is the one closer to the intel and Powell told him that we are in this together -- paraphrasing, he basically said 'you get this wrong and we both are going down in history'. They got it wrong. A huge negative mark on him but no, he didn't lie.

I especially find supporters of Trump calling other leaders liars empty. Trump is a pathological liar and if they are okay with that, they have no moral standing to criticize anyone else.

15. Gioan Baotixita

Main stream media is not friend. I am if you would trust me more than the MSM.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Local news is the best anyways

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

TBH, "Trump supporter" means "no moral standing" automatically, and I think most of them understand that at some level. They've just signed on to follow Il Douche no matter what.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. bobrek

Local news is part of MSM.

19. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

[​IMG]

20. bobrek

You're totally untrustworthy. You flat out lied about my posting history. Never attempted to provide proof, never apologized. Based on that, you're more akin to Newsmax or OANN.