1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

T Will was never lazy on the court it's obvious you are just making stuff up, I am not comparing his exact mentality to T Will I am just showing that mentality does not guarantee anything.

I am not looking at anything in any kind of way just saying it's not proof of anything.

So stop trying to paint me as trying to focus on negatives I am just saying mentality can be a detriment and nobody actually knows what his actual mentality is.

I am judging anything I have a wait and see attitude and I am commenting on what I see.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I didn't say his mentality meant he was going to be Kobe either...so yeah.

Yeah, so am I, and I clearly said that from what I saw in the game I liked his mentality. I even said it wasn't about anything he's said just that how I've seen him in games matches what people have said about him.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Feminine and Ditzy Hollywood. jeezus christ.

Green trains god knows how long to get drafted into the league.

Newage wants a high-level discussion on how Green career will pan out/potential, but is already negative bc he's basing it all on how the player looks/act and preseason games.

Wants a high-level discussion. pffft

High-level discussion don't fking exist if u are using characteristics that can't b measured or quantified.

Like how are people suppose to take your thoughts seriously if your way of thinking is: green is not gonna b a superstar b/c he is too feminine and acts like he's in hollywood. All u are doing is judging a man based on how he looks and what 3-4 preseason game?

With that logic harden would have been a bust since he looks like a bum to a lot of people.
    alpha mentality, clutch factor, cold blooded all sports jargon that can't be quantified, high level discussion lol.

Wait and see is not a cop-out. Players do grow over time, not everything is set in stone + injuries.
    He may or may not b da superstar, but it was not because or your initial reading that Green is "feminine or has a "ditzy Hollywood attitude"

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6. dmoneybangbang

That’s a bit specious…. Impact is impact? Well sure… But Green wasn’t drafted to impact the game like a Ja. It’s also very possible that Green won’t be as “impactful” as Ja.

It’s the end of the first pre season and it just seems incredibly early to go this road so soon.

But what does “uber athlete” mean? Green seems very athletic.

Green originally made the Kobe comparisons, not vice versa.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. rockets13champs

Tough start to year but heat up come January. Average 20 ppg inefficiently

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You sir know what you're talking about. The guy is too unintelligent and/or unsophisticated to understand some of the stuff he said is complete nonsense. Then tries to have a serious conversation and discourse about it.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Was Ja Morant a number 2 pick?

If Green turns out to be that good we are gold.

DD

jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

would trade green + wall + frp for morant

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think that's every field goal he scored lol.

I thought before the draft that he would be more NBA ready than Mobley, it might be the opposite, he's very raw except for his first step and quickness.

I also feel like he shied away from driving for some odd reason. When he did drive against the Spurs he looked good and threw some good passes to Wood in the PnR.

I think those expecting ROY timeline will be disappointed. But there's no reason why he can't be good in a few years. Meanwhile we will end up with another to 5 pick in 2022 and possibly 2023. That along with Sengun will be the foundation

jiggyfly and vator like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Anyone here who has read my predraft concerns about Green knows it was all about height. If he was 6’8 or even a legit 6’6 and slender, he could still developing into a lanky defender like Tayshaun Prince. But my suspicions all along after watching him in G league next to players with combine measurements was that he was 6’4 at best. Well, today the nba website updated and officially lists him at 6’4.

https://www.nba.com/player/1630224/jalen-green

I assume the Rockets had to turn in official barefoot measurements which the league ordered a couple years ago. At 6’4, in that frame, I am confident that he will NEVER be close to a plus defender. You have to be built like a tank at that size to hold up on defense, and his frame is just not made for that. As a minus defender, for him to become an elite player he would need to be all world in offense, which requires elite passing that makes an entire offense better, it’s very safe to say that he does not have that either, you don’t just develop advanced playmaking at this stage. I think this revelation that he’s shorter than expected is really going to stunt his upside, even a guy like Lavine which is his upside comp with the same type of frame is taller and longer. Beal is 6’3 but with a significant wingspan advantage and bulkier frame. This would also explain his issues finishing at the rim despite a high vertical.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

On a lighter note, the same update has Sengun officially listed at 6’10 barefoot. Which dispels any predraft concerns over his size to play center. (Which you could already see anyways for anyone with eyes)

https://www.nba.com/player/1630578/alperen-sengun

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Of course he is a known product.

DD

tycoonchip and Jontro like this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

KPJ with a ton of work can turn out to be Ja

Green with a ton of work can turn out to be Zach

jiggyfly and 18pbr like this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I also think it's completely fine if he's not a point god or ever has the abilities to be a point guard.

We're spoiled with combo guards these days but you can still be an elite player and impact winning just being an elite scorer and playing average defense. Kobe obviously never could play point guard and Donovan Mitchell is definitely a player that could win big if he had a true legit 2nd option. Like it's very hard to beat a team when you have a wingman that can and will get you clutch buckets when he feels like it.

Like if Green can become an elite scorer with average defense, he can still be a great player. I think Green DEFINITELY has that potential, some of yall I know will disagree, but he already seems to get to the rim with ease, so now he just has to work on his perimeter game, his handles, and then he might become that elite scorer.

The defense is a bigger concern to be sure but while he might never be elite like Kawhi because of wingspan a guy with a small frame can still be a good defender. Just takes want to, takes experience, and just in general a student of the game.

But Green's scoring ability can definitely be elite if he gets a little stronger, improves his handling, and improves his shot. These aren't impossible things for him to improve, he just has to get better basically and stronger and if he has the drive I think he can get there.

I don't know why people are ready to cap his potential already.

First let me say...
    I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO HARDEN.

But, if you remember, a lot of people thought Harden at best was 'Joe Johnson'. Morey giving him that max deal was thought of as a risk if you remember because people had for some reason capped his potential at who was, at the time, a Bradley Beal tier player...and he turned out being a lot more.

As long as a player is improving we shouldn't start capping his potential, especially a #2 pick.

For guys like Green, making huge leaps is as simple as getting better. If Green improves his handles by like 3% he instantly becomes A LOT better because of his speed and acceleration. If he becomes an AVERAGE 3 point shooter? Forget it.

It's like Giannis. Giannis adds just a simple mid range shot and he instantly became unstoppable.

Now I'm not comparing Green to those guys but I still believe he's an elite prospect. Preseason he's been meh...but he's going to have some wild up and down stretches through the year and I think the start of this season might be one.

17. DaDakota

Wow if he is only 6'4" that is super disappointing and I hope he grows a couple of inches more. Are you sure those are accurate it still lists Kevin Porter Jr at 6'4" and he is a known 6'6"

DD

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is such a pessimistic analysis bro, and it’s only backed up by 1 inch in height at age 19.

I think time to remind yourself of some of his positives, you seem to be too in the box.

It’s objectively untrue that 1 inch of height does all this or that he can’t put on muscle or that any of this is necessary for him to become his own style of 6’4 franchise player. Michael Jordan is the goat and had decent court vision at best.

i think you’ve set up a vision of this thing that needs revising. Maybe, who knows.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Two inches, we were led to believe he was 6’6.

I just can’t think of any player at 6’4 with that frame that has become a great player that’s not a point guard. If you are an elite point guard you can elevate an entire offense, making up for some of that defensive limitation. Green’s playmaking however has always been a weakness, which he can improve upon, but will never be elite at. He’s never been a “dog” or high steals guy, so he will always be a negative on defense with that frame and height, there’s really no counter examples. And without elite playmaking, its going to be very hard for his offense to make up for his defense, no matter how efficiently he scores. The upside as a net player is just severely capped. This was my fear before the draft, hope I’m wrong but seems obvious.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think he’s missing or getting layups blocked because he’s not used to NBA length and hasn’t learned yet to use your midsection to clear space to lay the ball up. Even the longest and most athletic scorers have to do that. I don’t see anything too concerning yet and I certainly don’t think he’s too short. If he stays that slim though your concerns will be noted on defense which makes his ceiling more 6th man ala Jamal Crawford/Lou Williams.

DaDakota and JayGoogle like this.