1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCullers to pitch game 4

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Yordan The Great

it's the right move.

Credit to Dusty for making the move.

Framber will be much better next time if he's needed in game 5.

This gives us our best shot at winning the series.

Urquidy can be of value in middle relief.

2. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I like your ideas and takes but chill out on making new threads please.

vince, Snake Diggit, awc713 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I was beginning to wonder if there's a payment system set up for new threads...

4. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

LMJ is unstoppable

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I do love the value of Urquidy in relief. I didn't even think about that for some reason. He's proven he can step it up in the playoffs, and he doesn't throw a lot of balls. That can be extremely valuable in the postseason, especially from the bullpen.

Nick_713 and mightybosstone like this.
  6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I like the move. McCullers has pitched on the biggest stage possible -- he started Game 7 of the World Series in 2017 (on the road). Urquidy pitched 5 scoreless on the road in Washington DC in the 2019 World Series. Both great candidates, but McCullers has been stronger this season. Urquidy/Framber is a nice combo if we need a Game 5. Go with your best in the road close-out game -- McCullers.

vince and King1 like this.
  7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yup, plus an extra day off… why not throw your best. Especially after that dumbass comment be who are you anyway with your 4.09 era. We will take all that hate all day long. Pressure is on you now.

8. vince

vince Member

i agree with this. McCullers gives you the best chance at winning, and he’s gotten an extra day to rest; if he were to get in trouble Greinke should be good to go! And If there needs to be a game 5, Valdez and Urquidy are a wonderful option and one that anyone can feel comfortable with.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Lance McCullers was nervous during Game 7 vs the Dodgers. He was wild and missing the strike zone and hitting a batter. A.J pulled him
    Brad Peacock, Francisco Liriano got a tough out, Charlie Morton all carried the Team.

This Year Lance McCullers Jr is completely different and pitches completely different. His Slider is his go to pitch. Knuckle curve as a surprise pitch late in innings. He is pitching at a Higher Level and looks more motivated. I think losing his friend Jose Fernandez really pushed him.

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't like the move. I want who I am most confident with available in a game 5 situation.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you're so confident in him, then why not pitch him in game 4 and end the series?

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I didn't say I was "so confident" I said I want who I am most confident with saved for an elimination game. I understand the logic of throwing your best and all that, but I would rather take the chance today, and be more confident in game 5, as opposed to firing your best shot today, and be in a worse spot in an elimination game.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The #1 rule of roster management in the MLB playoffs is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS try as hard as you possibly can to win the current game. There is too much variance from game to game to try to “save” resources for the next game. If McCullers gives them the best chance to win today, he should by the guy. If bringing in Valdez in relief gives them the best chance to win today, do it. Hold nothing back in the playoffs, ever.

Bregatron, BigM and King1 like this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

We are trying to win the series. Not trying to worry about game 5. There doesn't need to be a game 5

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Full rest, you play to win. Dusty makes a ton of mistakes but this is the right move. Don't get cute with game 4, put em away now

16. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think the win today, worry about tomorrow later is true in general in the playoffs. I don't think there is any realistic scenario where Framber is pitching today (assuming they've decided he is the starter in a potential game 5 and not Urquidy). The game 5 starter is the one guy they won't use unless they literally run out of pitchers, but everyone else is fair game.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It would make no sense at all to save McCullers for anything. Pitching him today was so obvious that even Baker nailed it.

HTown2017Champs and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

This. Man, I still remember Game 6 of the 2004 NLCS, it went into extras, and Roy Oswalt and Dan Miceli were both throwing in the bullpen. Phil Garner went with Miceli, probably to save Oswalt and preserve his regular rest schedule if they advance to the WS. Next thing you know, Miceli gives up a walk off to Jim Edmonds, and then we lose Game 7 too. I always wonder what would have happened if Oswalt came in relief and threw an inning or two in Game 6. Game 7 was Clemens vs. Jeff effing Suppan - in a Game 7 anything can happen, can't bank on winning the next one, ever, no matter how good your matchup looks on paper.

Always fire off your best bullets when you have an opportunity to clinch. Damn.

STR8Thugg and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Radricky

Radricky Member