1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Usman Garuba: I want the ball more in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 30, 2021.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

elbow jumper???? How are you not thrown in jail by the Morey stormtroopers?

burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

Just let him play it will come organically then refined by coaching. Hopefully good coaching.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They are going to let him play. In the G-League. He’ll get his chance in the NBA later this year. Right now he needs the reps and he won’t get them on the Rockets until we give up on competing for the play-in.

burlesk and saleem like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

I can except that, but don’t agree with it. He needs real playing time against real league level players. Garuba is better than most in the NBA with his present skill set. He doesn’t get the same level of respect as others on our team. When he comes back he should be like fire, he makes a difference now every time he gets playing time.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't even say he wanted the ball more geez, only that he is going to work to get the ball more in his rookie season as his goal. Why is that such a problem with people??? How do you guys turn something positive into a negative?

burlesk, D-rock, harold bingo and 6 others like this.
  7. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

And the original interview in spanish makes it clear it´s from before September. Also, it's a sponsored post from Kellogg's if you scroll down all the way to the bottom you can see the photo ops and all that things. You can´t sound humble while you are representing the breakfast of champions, he is being showcased there as the future of the spanish national team.

He said all the right things there. Let the guy play.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a few years away from being a few years away.

DD

9. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

It's great to hear him say this. Love his attitude. He sees himself as a two-way player. Good to see that hunger. Now he just has to prove it on the court.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not as bad as Bruno. Garuba can defend and he is strong.

D-rock and fattz like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, from the looks of it, our defense is a mess - but he needs to go to the G league - probably all year.

DD

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He won't be there all year. Right now he looks lost on team defense. Once he gets enough schooling on team defense and shows progress in that regard he will get called up and get minutes. The only way this doesn't happen is, if by some miracle, we are actually competing for the playoffs late in the year.

burlesk likes this.
  13. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Q. Is this a dream come true or will it only come true when you officially debut on the Rockets on September 20, the first game of the season against the Wolves?
    A. Beyond playing one game, even if it's the first, the most important thing for me is to stay here, which is the hardest part.
    Q. What areas do you think you need to improve on in order to rise to the challenge of NBA competition?
    A. To have the ball in my hands more, and those kinds of things I couldn't do in Madrid, where I needed to adapt to a role due to the players in that team. I need to keep being able to do more things in general.

Seriously, I don't know how the original quotes in Spanish could be any less controversial. And yeah, the interview is from August 29...

14. saleem

The G-league should help him develop like Clint Capela.

burlesk and DaDakota like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If he turns into Capela with a FT shot, we got an incredible steal

burlesk and DaDakota like this.
  16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

If DD thinks that he'll be a key contributer this season. Guy is always wrong

majicdonjuan and RasaqBoi like this.
  17. saleem

He said he's two years away from two years. I don't think he's that far off from being a contributor.

burlesk and fattz like this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

contributor to what? 25 wins or a championship?
    I do’nt get at all this talk about "sending them to G-league". It made sense for Capella, since we had Harden and we were competing.
    But for this team, what exactly is the difference between getting their reps with the G-league or the A-team. [I’m talking about Jaygup and Garuba]
    I mean why is Jalen Green a starter and Jaygup should go to the G-league? Makes no sense. Jaygup is stronger with an NBA-ready body, compared to Jalen… None of them are ready, how do you decide who goes to G-league and who starts?

And then Garuba: what is the idea of him going to G-league if we only have 4 players of 6’8"? Send him to G-league and we’ll play midget-ball until he’s ready??? Is that the idea? Puke!

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't either. My point was essentially DD is an idiot who is literally wrong about everything so him not endorsing him is a great sign

20. dmoneybangbang

I think he could contribute defensively off the bench this season as he did play well in a tough league overseas. I think he will be a big work in progress offensively, but still think he is promising. Will he be a willingly screener and slasher? I think he could get minutes next year by doing that plus his defense.

burlesk likes this.