1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do not trade for Simmons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Sep 14, 2021.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Is Simmons’ shot broken or is it a confidence thing? He doesn’t need to be a good shooter but he can’t be a complete nothing outside of 5 feet.

Jontro and steddinotayto like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think it's both. Bad shot and bad confidence.

Also, please no one post videos of him hitting jumpers in an empty gym as proof of shooting potential. Simmons has been uploading those videos for 4 off-seasons now and it has never translated into anything.

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I imagine a lot of teams that *would have traded for Simmons won't do it now. Any player that wakes up one morning and just refuses to play then says it's a combination of being blamed for poor play by the coach and rabid fans who also blame him.

Why would a team want to sign up for that?

Wall and the Rockets handled it much better - mutual agreement behind closed doors. Both sides resolved to a strategy. At least teams know if Wall is unhappy or the team is unhappy with Wall they can come together and figure it out. Simmons really is just a spoiled infant.

4. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

we’re on a good path with KPJ, a straight Wall for Simmons has to be considered

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

People get new platforms and connections and get new information, let me get my **** off, don’t hate.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You do you, my friend.

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  7. Sengun

Sengun Member

If you're going to get Simmons, he has got to have four very good shooters with him. There is no player on the Rockets roster whose shooting is reliable. Maybe only Armoni Brooks, but he's just a rotation player. Also, to me, this guy is not a playmaker. He is a glass cleaning finisher and he should play PF or C. If it were up to me, I'd try to trade him for a package with Wood included.

8. i3artow i3aller

The guy that just blamed the 76ers winning ways for why he didn't bother having a hand in his own development? Does Simmons plan on taking the slightest bit of accountability for absolutely anything or is he just going to continue to blame others?

[​IMG]

hakeem94, Jontro, ArtV and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sengun

Sengun Member

I think we should look at it from different sides. Nor is it acceptable for Doc Rivers to target Ben Simmons after the playoffs. To me, Doc Rivers is a big loser and he scapegoated Ben Simmons to cover up his own failure. Never forget, Doc Rivers' statements were the reason why this man was subjected to verbal and physical abuse from people while walking downtown. Phila fans has been hungry for success for years and because of that, there is a great atmosphere of chaos in the city. There was no player in the field that they did not boo last year. This includes Embiid. In such an environment, no player is likely to be successful. Embiid also had game-losing performances in the Atlanta series, but they weren't talked about as much as Simmons because Doc Rivers just blamed Simmons.

juanming, D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

That's fair. It's always best to weigh in on both sides, and I don't agree with how Doc answered the (is ben simmons a pg on a championship team?) question either. It could definitely been handled more diplomatically. A better response would've been something along the lines of saying yes, but that there was still work to be done to get there. I do wonder if by that point Doc was already fed up and it was borne more out of frustration and being fresh off a frustrating playoff loss.

At the same time Simmons' has had coaches from his high school to the pros wonder if they need to bench him in order to get him to do what they ask of him out on the court. His teammates have asked him to be more aggressive getting into the paint on his drives and he'll stubbornly refuse. You hear Ben say himself that he needs to be pushed or forced to do things a certain way to get the most out of him. The rest of that year Doc had been defending Ben whenever the reporters would come for him. He'd tell them that they didn't fully appreciate the rest of what Ben does out there on the court to be impactful. Maybe at that point Doc said screw it. Nothing else I've said has gotten to him. Maybe he needs to hear some criticism to get the most out of him.

"My weakness is I need to have someone make me accountable," Simmons told MacMullan. "The goal is to be accountable to myself. That's been a bit tough. It takes time."

"I told Ben, 'If you aren't willing to shoot, then do I just bench you? Because I can do that,'" Brown says. "We could have gone that route or continue to coach him as it relates to spacing. We worked on the ability to use it as a choice to shoot the 3, catch and go, get in the paint, or find someone else."

"This was all discussed. I opted to take this path. I think only down the road will we be able to truly assess if it was the right one. In the meantime, he's a two-time All-Star, a kid that's gone from a college 4 to an NBA point guard. His story is a pretty darn good one."

"If I were in charge of the Sixers, I'd tell him, 'If you don't take a pull-up jumper and a perimeter shot in each half -- I don't care about your percentages -- you're sitting,'" Boyle says.

"We've had conversations, especially when it comes to shooting," Embiid says. "Ben can help me a lot. I feel like I've helped him a lot with his game. People keep saying, 'Oh, you have to stop spending time on the 3-point line,' but I do it because Ben is such a good driver, going to basket, that I've got to help open that up for him. I would like if he would do the same for me, to start shooting [3s]. But I also know how uncomfortable he is with it."

"When Brown has decided to push him, as he did when he demanded one three per game in early December, Simmons reverted to the same habits he has had since entering the league. Saying you want something and showing you want something are two different things."

#470 i3artow i3aller, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Jontro likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

25 year olds can be immature amirite?

Next thing you know he'll be painting his fingernails black and hitting on Instagram models.

And touting a fashion line of course.

hakeem94 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sounds like Ben needs John Lucas and his tough love.

Worked for many many many NBA players, even guys with real off the field issues like Porter.

Lucas can also help him with his shooting issues.

Lucas is the answer.

18pbr and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

Green and Porter's painted fingernails are to raise awareness for abused children during the month of October. It's actually a wicked cool gesture. [​IMG]

https://polishedman.com/

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Is that why Tyler Herro paints his fingernails?

D-rock likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

im confused. do we stil trade 60 frp for salmons? is he still a good guy?

@hakeem94 your guidance pls

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

at first i was all in but now i am also a bit confused because not sure if hell fit into silas system...currently i am doing my own research to discover what the silas system is ...

Corrosion, Jontro and NewAge like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes i remmeber how dr lucas fixed david nwabas shot and now senguns and woods FT shooting...
    he is doing godly work...

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i bet you any money there are magnets in the offseason videos setup

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

In the first preseason game, they mentioned also Matt Bullard. Probably somewhere after
    the 3rd straight Josh Christopher made 3. How they were placing a ball between JC's legs
    to prevent that scissor kick as he rises....I think I mentioned the leg separation on draft night.

I was wondering if Lucas helped Kenyon? Guess maybe both Lucas and Bullard

We shall see if Christopher continues shooting the 3 well.
    I don't believe he did as well shooting the 3 vs Heat.

#479 ApacheWarrior, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree with him playing PF or C......but I have him pegged as point PF or point Center.
    But it wouldn't be ball handler the entire game. He has good court vision and can pass well at times.
    Like Harden, now Porter/Green.......needs more reps

D-rock likes this.