1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Republicans lead an anti-vax movement?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Dec 2, 2020.

1. biina

biina Member

They have been advised to take booster shots to improve the effectiveness of the vaccine
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html#anchor_1630089719053.

Even then, you can still restrict nurses treating immunocompromised patients to only those that are vaccinated. After all immunocompromised people are only about 3% of the population.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not really,…that’s not how it works. You can’t generalize %s when talking about hospitalized patients since a good % are there because they don’t possess the adequate systemic response to take oral medications and remedies and recovered at home. Pneumonia? Yea the dude down the street can take oral levoquin on his couch, but the guy across from him is intubated and on broad IV medications. If you’re in the hospital you’re an extremely susceptible group.

People that are immunocompromised are also those undergoing chemo etc not just stem cell transplant folks. Your “general population immunocompromised” percentages don’t apply, not to mention these are the exact folks that are inpatient. Also, In a hospital you have countless people interacting with a patient all the way from morning labs to transportation for imaging. Furthermore, unvaccinated individuals can cause vaccinated individuals from carrying the virus.

Asking someone who would like to participate in the care of patients to vaccinate themselves against something that the people they’re treating are the most susceptible group isn’t too much to ask for. You’re required to take numerous other vaccinations and sterility measures in various other aspects . This isn’t a place where your feelings or ammendment rights come into play, it’s where it’s all about the patient. I’ve treated covid from the first case in March 2020 when half the people were dying , to now. It’s a pretty clear and cut matter

London'sBurning, subtomic and Amiga like this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

California couple dies of covid, leaving five kids behind. Their newborn is three weeks old.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-couple-dies-covid-leaving-105447801.html

She was pregnant, which is high risk category with regards to Covid.

She was also a nurse.

Yet she did not get vaccinated.

Neither did the dad and he passed away too.

Now 5 young kids have to live without their parents.

GET VACCINATED.

By doing so, not only are you saving your life and other's BUT more importantly you are giving the virus less chances/carriers to mutate into even more dangerous variants.

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

And to my point earlier just so this article today about Jeff

Jeff Bridges Says His Cancer Is in Remission and He Contracted COVID During Chemo Treatments
    Julie Mazziotta
    Mon, September 13, 2021, 10:11 AM
    [​IMG]
    Jeff Bridges

Tibrina Hobson/Getty Images Jeff Bridges

Jeff Bridges is in recovery, from both his lymphoma and from COVID-19.

The Big Lebowski star, 71, shared Monday that his cancer is now in "remission" after months of treatment. "The 9" x 12" mass has shrunk down to the size of a marble," he wrote in an update on his website.

Bridges said, though, that his cancer fight has been a "piece of cake" compared to his bout with COVID-19, which he contracted in Januarybefore he was able to get vaccinated. The Oscar winner said that on Jan. 7 he got a letter from the clinic where he was undergoing chemotherapy that said he may have been exposed to COVID-19 at the site.

"Soon after, my wife Sue and I share an ambulance to the ICU. We both got the 'rona," he said.

"Sue spends 5 days in the hospital. Me…? I'm there 5 weeks. The reason I'm there so long is because my immune system is shot from the chemo. My dance with COVID makes my cancer look like a piece of cake."

RELATED: Jeff Bridges Wears Matching PJs with Wife, Shares New Year 'Plan' Following Lymphoma Diagnosis

Bridges said he was near death while dealing with COVID-19, but it gave him a better appreciation for life.

"While I had moments of tremendous pain (screaming singing, a sort of moaning song all through the night) getting close to the Pearly Gates, all in all, I felt happy and joyous most of the time," he said. "This brush with mortality has brought me a real gift — LIFE IS BRIEF AND BEAUTIFUL. LOVE IS ALL AROUND US, AND AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES."

[​IMG]
    Jeff bridges
    Jeff bridges/ twitter Jeff Bridges in Dec. 2020

Bridges said that his COVID-19 is now "in the rearview mirror" and that getting vaccinated improved his long-term symptoms.

"COVID kicked my ass pretty good, but I'm double vaccinated and feeling much better now," he said. "I heard that the vaccine can help folks with long haulers. Maybe that's the cause of my quick improvement."

The True Grit star had been needing oxygen assistance to walk around in the months since his COVID-19 illness, but he set a goal of walking his daughter Hayley down the aisle at her wedding sans oxygen, and was able to meet it after working out in physical therapy.

RELATED VIDEO: Jeff Bridges Wishes He Could've Spent More Time With His Family Saying Time Is 'So Precious'

Bridges said that COVID-19 changed his perspective on life.

"We, (I) often want some other gift that life isn't giving us. I mean, who would want to get cancer and COVID? Well…it turns out I would. I would because I get to learn m

6. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    Does he look like he may have been in a risk factor category? And the article stated It is unclear if Daniel was vaccinated. Also the possibility exist that the mother may have had gestational diabetes which puts her into a risk factor category, plus they put her on a ventilator. People should stop telling half of the story and then labeling anyone that asks questions anti-this or pro-that. Pray for those poor children.

#146 Fantasma Negro, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Astrodome likes this.
  7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Do you think they'd have lived if both were vaccinated properly?

Zboy and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

dead vs alive

Zboy likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, those poor kids....

DD

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Are you some kind of coronavirus apologist?
    weird man!!

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Uhhh yea that’s what you do when someone has maxed out their oxygen in respiratory distress. Please just stop man. The amount of hurdles you’re jumping through in that post is ridiculous

12. biina

biina Member

And where will you get them from?

The country has been plagued with a shortage of nurses for decades and the pandemic has only made it worse.

Preston27 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For me this is like the Air Traffic Controllers strike, Nurses fired for not getting the vaccine should never be hired again as a nurse...

DD

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You seem to be arguing in a different/irrelevant direction. There’s a shortage of everything right now, people don’t walk into a room and go “hey there’s a shortage right now so please accept my willingness to put you at an increased risk for something because my beliefs or inclination are x”. You need a tb test before starting at any healthcare facility, the reason you don’t see any strikes against it is because it’s common place. The second every facility starts requiring it all these dumbasses putting their patients at risk will fall in line.

or you know what, “that scrubbing into surgery is starting to over dry my hands too much so I’ll pass since there’s a shortage and put you at an increased risk for an infection if I contaminate the area.”….doesn’t fly right?

not a big fan of the travel nursing fad, but if you have to pay more to get someone else to come then that’s still a better alternative than potential litigation from infecting people at your facility

subtomic and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Fantasma Negro

16. biina

biina Member

Even if the percentages increase, the majority of patients at hospitals are not immunocompromised.

A lot of these nurses were putting themselves at risk, with minimal or no PPE in some cases, to treat same patients when there was no vaccine, but now you are trying to characterize them like if they are the bad guys?

The country has a severe shortage of healthcare workers, with many more haven been lost during this pandemic. Anything that further worsens that shortage by forcing more of them out of the system increases the risk to the same patient you claim to be protecting.

Instead of the 'get vaccine or highway' approach, I would rather have a comprise in which those unvaccinated staff are still retained in the system even if their roles are more limited and/or testing and PPE increased.

People refuse to take the vaccine for various reasons and that does not make them any less smarter than those that do.

But people like you seem more interested in people getting vaccinated than the more important goal of providing adequate healthcare to those that need it.

17. biina

biina Member

Apples vs oranges

18. biina

biina Member

It's not a different direction cos the current approach is more like beheading your self to spite your nose.

These nurses were taking care of patients for over a year without vaccines, so the current tone is simply an exaggeration.

When these 'dumbasses' are forced to leave and the shortage worsens, the real dumbasses will be apparent

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

The point I made literally went over your head. Everybody inpatient is part of this susceptible group. That’s funny, I literally had no PPE for months and still continued to see people exclusively on covid floors in one of the biggest epicenters in the country. The folks I worked with didn’t either and guess who were the first ones to line up for the vaccine?

The people refusing the vaccine almost exclusively don’t work in COVID specific floors, so your fake moral outrage about turning this into persecuting them doesn’t come in to play.

If you’re working with patients sick enough to get their treatment inpatient and you work with them without a vaccine, yes you are objectively stupider in every sense of the word. Pray tell me what these “concerns” are.

London'sBurning, superfob and Deckard like this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You do realize that elective surgeries, total hospital visitor volume, level of PPE everything was way different than it is now when compared to March 2020 to December 2020 (which isn’t a year once again.)

I don’t know if this poster is one of those misinformed nurses I was referencing, but he is making a strong point for it. The majority of nurses don’t staff covid floors, they stay with their patients in non-covid areas unlike the rest of hospital staff like doctors, respiratory therapists etc that have to mobilize to take care of covid patients. In fact, the majority of nurses don’t deal with covid which is why it’s hilarious that somehow they’re owed this collective aura of gratefulness people like you keep pushing when the individuals that actually deal with it (including covid nurses) go get vaccinated. The news about those L&D nurses quitting…yea man we really need to sympathize with those idiots over people actually dealing with covid. I stand with our COVID doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists (the reap MVPs of this crisis nobody gives credit to) that see what this does and are strongly for the vaccine.

You’re thinking it’s a “nurses vs others” issue when it’s really a “percentage of nurses decline vaccines vs majority advocating for it”. This is why your fantasy version of people quitting is unrealistic

#160 LosPollosHermanos, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    TheFreak likes this.