1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Would you trade CW for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Bigs like Wood are rare. He’s a 3 level scorer and can create for himself.

We already have that type of defender and switchable wing player in Garuba. Just keep Wood and develop Garuba to that higher level. No need to give up talent and waste 30 mil a year on Simmons.

&& I agree but we don’t have a Jimmy Butler and Embiid level duo to pair him with.

I don’t see a scenario where we improve on what Philly did with Simmons. Acquiring him for Wood would be a waste for us.

Minnesota would be ideal for him because Towns Ant and Dlo can carry his weight offensively and space the floor so he can just defend rebound and pass.

I would pair Simmons and Wood but I wouldn’t trade Wood for Simmons.

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm trading for Simmons on the hope that Green is a superstar and Sengun or KPJ is an all star. That's the Butler/Embiid duo and that's what the rebuild is counting on right now. If those guys aren't stars then the team has a lot of adjusting to do and Wood doesn't matter much to me in that scenario. Also Simmons can be moved somewhere else if our young guys don't pan out.

I don't have a lot of faith in Wood/KPJ/Green being a contending team in the future. I don't see great defender from any of them unless Green or Wood really pack on some weight. And even with weight Green has an uphill battle because of his wingspan. They are all best at scoring and that's not how you win titles.

3. Denovo

Denovo Member

My point was Garuba is your Ben Simmons type prospect. Except he’s not afraid to shoot.

You don’t need to pay 30 mil for a gloried wing defender when you can get multiple 3 and D wings for the same price.

Jae Crowder and Mikal Bridges only cost like 15 mil together and they can both shoot and defend.

Pj Tucker himself only costs like 7mil a year and we all know how valuable his defense and corner spacing is.

#223 Denovo, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    roslolian likes this.
  4. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Interesting take. But considering Morey seems to be asking arm and leg for Ben from other teams, I hardly think he would be interested only in CW and BS is simply not worth that much.

roslolian likes this.
  5. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

you picked the word OPPORTUNITIES, i guess what you might refer to:
    A. the quality of roles players put around, the expertise of coaching staff, players development plan or strategic thinking ability of front offices etc.,;
    B. the offensive scheme designed for each player;
    considering picking 'A' might be either off the 'unguardable' topic or breaking our conversation into endless as well as meaningless tiny pieces , i would like to select 'B' which has a tendency in focusing on players itself and easily make my point clear.

as we know, in the realm of sports, opportunities are earned rather than being given or queue in line, like your put simmons and giannis into two groups, for years based on their TYPES philly (4yr) and milw(8yr) had done all they could to carefully design offensive schemes for their core players, at the same time kept tweaking their roaster n wooing top tier vets to fit in with their core.
    unfortunately, see below quotes n statistics, we should have known that it's simmons himself who never changed or never adjusted ever since beeing drafted,
    yes, @Stephen_A , to simmons, 'he is who he is'. he is not the kinda spontaneous person, instead just await others to create an ambient for him.

ApacheWarrior
    Stephen_A

regular season
    Year
    Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
    2017–18 Philadelphia 81 81 33.7 .545 .000 .560 8.1 8.2 1.7 .9 15.8
    2018–19 Philadelphia 79 79 34.2 .563 .000 .600 8.8 7.7 1.4 .8 16.9
    2019–20 Philadelphia 57 57 35.4 .580 .286 .621 7.8 8.0 2.1* .6 16.4
    2020–21 Philadelphia 58 58 32.4 .557 .300 .613 7.2 6.9 1.6 .6 14.3

my point is, giannis (age 26) earning 39+mil through yr21-22 season, and simmons(age 25) 33mil, there is a 6mil gap, however back on the court that's absolutely not a gap that could be made even by 6mil (not mentioned the former has grabbed a chip under his belt) .
    think about it, as long as you paid 6mil more, you could sign giannis who is unguardable/unstoppable, need be doubled in playoffs, the other 4 players i would label as unguardable:
    LeBron
    Harden
    AD
    KD
    could simmons grow to be an 'unguardable' player in the future? i say NO, why?
    1) yr09-12 james played the sixth man for OKC, ppl had witnessed how he unstoppable even at that time, why we signed him (age 23), bc his ceiling so high, then how about simmons?
    2) if simmons could not do any better now, n his ceiling has been so visible/predictable, teams should know wht we buy is wht we see, no surprise anymore.

-----

100% agreed.

#225 DeBeards, Sep 3, 2021
    roslolian likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

These Ben Simmons fanbois always make me laugh if Simmons was that good he wouldnt get exiled from Sixers wtf.

Sixers actually have a better clone of Simmons named Matisse Thybulle, I would trade CW for Thybulle before I trade for Simmons.

Thybulle:
    1. Also A+ defender with length and athleticism
    2. Same dimensions as Simmons
    3. No mental damage
    4. No primadona attitude
    5. No KLUTCH SPORTZ bs
    6. Makes rookie salary instead of supermax

The only thing you are missing is playmaking but like I said why d hell would you want a playmaker who cant shoot? Thats like hiring a blind security guard bro that dude better be Dare Devil in disguise smh.

#226 roslolian, Sep 3, 2021
  7. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

No but I'll trade Kpj for Kuminga

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Our interpretation of opportunities is a little different

Where you see both parts equal, I see the elephant in the room.....
    or might I say the elephants (plural) in the paint.

The most or least efficient shot in basketball is the post up play.
    Philadelphia this season (20/21):
    Embiid 36.5% frequency
    Tobias Harris 14.7% frequency
    Dwight Howard 10.6% frequency
    That's 61.8% of paint clogging post up that kills a non shooting teammate and
    limits his opportunities as others clear out to avoid bringing your defender to
    that area. This doesn't change Ft%......I'm just saying love action.

Giannis doesn't have to contend with that. The non shooting Giannis has a much
    higher USG% which indicates #1 option and open lanes.
    Bucks (20/21): post up frequencies
    Middleton 6.5%
    Brook Lopez 11.8%
    Portis 15.2%
    That's 33.5% frequency of post ups. That's what Embiid does by himself year
    in and year out.

So no, not all systems are created equal and not all players are subjected to
    the same opportunities. Even Durant had to leave Westbrook in order to Excel.
    Simmons needs to get away from Embiid to truly blossom.

How would Giannis fair with Embiid 30+ frequency in post up at a 30+ USG%.
    One has to flip the script and have the other walk in his shoes when comparing
    player to player. Put Giannis as the non shooter contending with TH and Embiid
    plugging up the paint with defenders. Your numbers or stats for Simmons are
    diminished or limited as a result of system. Just like when Ryan Anderson was
    a decent rebounder when he played in a conventional system but then sucked
    when we put him as a spot up shooter predominantly. Ryno went from 6 or 7
    rebounds per game to 3 or 4 as a Rocket. System can alter stats.

One person can not guard Simmons and two have a hard time guarding him when
    he gets a running start. So yes, I would consider him unguardable.....or at least
    as much as you would say Giannis is unguardable.....if put in the same situation.
    Open lanes with post up free lanes clogged by high USG% person or people.

#228 ApacheWarrior, Sep 3, 2021
    D-rock, Plowman and DeBeards like this.
  9. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

man, you know me, im a big fan of your statistics as well as factsheets you contributed for a long time, but let's hold on a second, n just put aside my opinion as to 'simmons will never develop into an unguardable player', instead start eyeing on your 'simmons gonna truly blossom while traded away to a better system' which i could hardly agree with.
    pls click on below youtube vid, fast forward to 4:55, see how chuck bashing him on TNT? (i know many on CF dunt give a **** about TNT, me neither, but sometimes we can agree with disagree)
    'he dribbling to top of the key, then he goes down to post n doesn't demand the ball'

like wht you said, while PnR, simmons just got no interest to roll, n now as a 6'10'' athletic guy, he just aint so into post up (dunt blame others, he is the second best player in 76ers who should shout aloud 'gimme da F ball!')

man, it has been 4yrs in philly, its not about da system, not about those role players, not about statistics, it's about who he is n how he's been here.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd entertain and offer of Wall and Wood for Simmons and filler.

A small ball lineup of KPJ, Green, Simmons, KJM, Sengun intrigues me. There'd be little defense, but it's be a fast, exciting team that could grow, and net you another high pick or two.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What's worse than 1 Wall? 2 Walls.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No I won't watch Chuck rant. I've seen both Chuck and Shaq rant about every big not posting up.
    It's old school mentality. Things have changed, the game has changed. Zone implemented
    by smart defensive coordinators drop coverage off the weakest shooters and clog up the
    paint has killed post up plays and the Triangle offense used by Phil Jackson and the Bulls.

Now the game has gone skinny so that defense can cover more ground and rotate to
    even greater amount of 3-pt shooters along the entire perimeter. Shaq and Chuck didn't
    have that to contend with.

Now the Warriors have extended the Triangle offense in a fashion to make it work that
    the Bulls and other teams back then could not. I do see bully ball coming back. But it's
    been instilled in these guys minds for so long that post up is bad. It will need to be
    a sit down study course to educate Ben Simmons on the pros vs cons of doing it now.
    Just like Chuck and Shaq couldn't let go of old school mentality; why should I believe
    Simmons can just drop the new school mentality in a heartbeat. 25 year olds
    sometimes need to be drawn a picture with crayons. Yelling at them in practice
    doesn't always get the point across.

Yes, we can agree that we disagree on players changing.

Here are Trae Young playoff numbers(20/21):
    [6 games] 5 gms vs Knicks and 1 gm vs 76ers (guarded mostly by Thybulle/D Green/Shake )
    36.9 mins.....22 (FGA's).....44.8% (FG%).....34.6% (3P%).....30.2 pts

[next 6 games] vs 76ers (with Simmons getting assignment a greater amount)
    39.7 mins......22.5 (FGA's)...37.8% (FG%).....31.4% (3P%)....*28.0 pts....[*note more mins]

[next 3 games] vs Bucks
    36.2 mins.......24.3 (FGA's)....47.9% (FG%)....31.4% (3P%)....32.7 pts...[Giannis played in]

Trae missed games 4 and 5.....Giannis missed games 5 and 6 of series.
    Trae came back hobbled. I say the Hawks go to finals if Trae stayed healthy; but that could
    be said for Nets (Kyrie/Harden) or Jazz (Donovan Mitchell/Conley).

Not saying, Simmons and or Giannis shut down Trae; but Simmons defense on Trae
    helped contribute to his poorer FG% in those games. I watched those games by way of TV.

I've seen enough of Simmons in videos as the Roll-Man in PnR to say.....he could
    be a monster next to Jalen "Freaking" Green and Kevin "Freaking" Porter "Freaking" jr.

It would be a project I admit. That is why I don't believe the 76ers will get 4 first round picks
    for Simmons. The league is saturated with point guards so Philly is probably going to
    have to accept pennies on the dollar as we did with Westbrook.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be against a salary dump of Wall or Eric Gordon to get him.
    Porter/Green in a Silas offense with Simmons setting screens could raise havoc on
    the league for years. At least to the end of his current contract. Hopefully the Silas
    offense and Green/Porter make Simmons look so good that we get 4 first round picks
    when we trade him.

I give you the last word my friend

#232 ApacheWarrior, Sep 3, 2021
    D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He's not a glorified wing defender. He's an elite perimeter defender, with elite size, that is also a good facilitator.

I'd trade Wood for Bridges too. Bridges might be cheap now but he's up for an extension and will get a big contract next year.

Overall I'm not worried about Ben's contract. The Rockets won't have cap space for the next two years. And in two years they will have enough space for a max contract even if they trade for Ben. Two years later the rookies will be up for extensions and Ben's contract will expire.

Trading Wood for Simmons is more about Wood than wanting Simmons on the Rockets.

lionaire likes this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

i know, again fundermentally agree w/ ya in terms of the cw-bs swap fantasy.

lets see wht gonna happen, n once happened how simmons would fit in or how he became better; below is the regular analysis put up on nbadraft, that's 4yrs ago, let's review someday in the future,
    Weaknesses: Despite being a good scorer, he lacks a reliable jumpshot … His form doesn’t have any glaring mechanical flaws, but it’s apparent that it’s the one element of his game that he isn’t completely confident inCan have scoring droughts in games related to both his confidence in his shot, and unselfishness … Should work on his shot, and in particular his spot up shooting and staying on balance, can tend to fade back and be off center … He has the desire and work ethic to become a gym rat, and his shooting should improve considerably over time … Should look to utilize his strength even more by attacking the rim and looking to draw fouls more often … Becoming a better outside shooter would make him even more deadly off the dribble, as opponents would be forced to play up on him, where they now tend to give him room and force the shot … While he shares a number of LeBron’s attributes, he is not the same level athlete … He is an above average leaper with strength, but is a notch (or two) below LeBron as a physical specimen, not necessarily a weakness, just an observation of this common comparison …

agreed. but as we all know, murrey just bloody smarter than that, sometimes even too greedy to do business with.

-----
    brilliant.
    catch up later

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Why does everyone want to trade our best player? We can consider it next year, but for now it's best to keep Wood. People forget he avg 21/10 on 59% TS. He is a very good player. Would've been an all-star if he was healthy last season IMO.

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Green needs a point guard and he's a young DPOTY type and i'm not as high on KPj at PG as others and CW fits Phillys timeline more than ours. ALp is ready start now too. Wall+CW+EGo+House off the team-just get er done. I'd definitely love to see what our coaching staff can do with Ben. Morey will ask for KPj and ALp as well though.

18. Denovo

Denovo Member

I said gloried because he’s labeled as a star, not to knock his actual strengths.

But If you don’t want to pay Wood the max, wouldn’t it be better to wait until his contract year in free agency then facilitate a Sign and Trade with Wood while his value is maximized?

He still has room to grow given his limited experience and producing 20 and 10 for 3 straight seasons at 27 would increase his trade value alone assuming he doesn’t improve. Also assuming he’s healthy of course.

I just don’t see the need to trade Wood right this moment, he’ll be worth more later imo.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not saying we need to move Wood right now. But I do think guys like Bridges and Simmons are good value and better long term fits for the team. I don't think Wood is going to get to a point where we are able to get players much better than Simmons or Bridges in a trade and there is the possiblity that he can't stay healthy and we get significantly less.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Your continued insistence that Simmons is a better long term fit on a team full of mediocre to poor shooters is hilarious.