1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Let’s revisit this in the off season…Home game against divisional opponent coming up.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, any true Texan fan would want someone that doesn’t want to be here gone. Specially a potential sexual abuser.
    If real Texans fan means you will sell out for a QB that could be good, you got a problem.

eric.81 likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Is there anyone left saying the media is just drumming stuff up and we never heard directly from Watson? I think that moment and that thought is fading pretty quickly at this point.

4. MadMax

I’m not sure people who take the time to call into sports radio to talk about a team in its offseason is an appropriate sample group for that analysis.

I’m a true Texan fan, and I wish we could trade him for value right this second. Since we can’t, I’m content to let him sit on the couch and we can explore a trade in the off-season.

mikol13, clos4life, Nick and 4 others like this.
  5. mario_v

mario_v Member

6. MadMax

The thought is if you trade him now and he plays, he’s going to kill the value of the picks you acquired in trading for him. Trade him after the season to a team with high draft picks who is desperate for a QB.

7. conquistador#11

Wow! I can't believe a team would 'over offer' with the accusations and investigation pending. That offer from that 'club' is probably what has the Gm Jac..I mean Nick confident he can get a similar or better offer.

And how did I miss that soundbyte of the head coach confusing the Gm with the VP guy.

#2827 conquistador#11, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

That's what makes this all so much more gross... he didn't do what he (allegedly) did because he wants to get off. He could walk into any bar in this city and have a line of women willing to do whatever he wants. He did what he did (allegedly) so that he could exert power over someone weaker than him. Sexual assault is typically about power and domination rather than sexual gratification... that or the two are tied together in mind of the perpetrator.

Needless to say, I'd be happy to get rid of him for a bag of chips. Stale ones... snack size... that have been crushed into a powder. We don't need this kind of behavior tied to our team. Whenever someone in the media says the words "Houston Texans," later on in that same sentence, somewhere, they'll also say "22 allegations of sexual assault." No thanks.

HTXSportsAddict and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Bear in mind, you can't take anything any of these guys say seriously. Maybe he heard that, maybe he didn't. If he did, maybe it was made up, maybe not. If it wasn't, what does HUGE offer and OVERPAY mean to the team making the offer vs. the team receiving, etc.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. Damion Laverne

He's done everything in his power to make it uncomfortable for the new regime since the trade request. Plus, the Texans don't have a long history of being a competent franchise (GB's recent history is better).

11. Damion Laverne

Fetishes?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And hopefully this mythical team is somebody that he would agree to be traded to, given his no-trade clause.

I still can't fathom that the media hasn't called out team Watson on their supposed demand that any team that trades for him should not have to give up assets to the point where their future could be in question (basically make that team the last 2 years version of the Texans).

MadMax likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I seriously doubt Houston received a legit trade offer and just didn't respond at all -- this isn't fantasy football. That insider info seems like it was pulled out of thin air -- no team has 'over offered' anything for Watson since the sexual assault details were made public.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Watson being placed on the CEL so I guess Driskel goes to the practice squad and Watson stays on the 53, just inactive every game.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I want as much value as possible. Our dumpster fire of a franchise needs it. Any real fan would want to trade him for the best value possible. We literally tanked a season and gave up a sht ton of picks for Watson. We need something huge in return.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

How can they place him on the CEL? They have no more information than they did a month ago. He won't be placed on the CEL unless he is indicted or settles the cases.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unless I'm misinterpreting item 3, they can place him on the list without formal charges if they feel further investigation is warranted/required:

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As best as I can surmise, the current DW is a bit of a circular catch 22 i guess.

He doesn't want to be here, but because of his legal situation, the Texans aren't getting great offers. Even to the extent they might get a great offer, given the timing, the Texans won't really know how great that offer is, because if its to a decent team, and DW does play, then those picks aren't as good. Whereas you'd at least know where the picks are if you trade him much later in the year or next offseason. At which point hopefully his legal issues are squared away, too. Of course at that point he hasn't played in 12+ months so is rusty and GREAT offers might be a little less great because of that. Also, he still has a no trade clause... and we're kind of hearing he's maybe still using it (eg. I don't want to go here or here), but you'd at least think, a bit, that after 12 months, if they have a trade lined up that all parties (except DW) are willing to do, and it gets DW out of Houston and playing again, he'd have to think long and hard about continuing to play hardball.

It's hard to think of a historical situation that's a comparable. If he didn't have the legal problems, he likely would have been traded pre-draft, or close enough after the draft that the Texans would have got the rookie players they wanted at whatever pick (eg. trade to Jets after the draft, but get back Zack Wilson... just an example). Even if he wasn't traded then cause they wanted to REALLY try and work it out, if he didn't have the legal problems they'd at least potentially get back that mega-haul package, even if to a team that was going to be good and make the picks not quite as valuable, it'd at least be A LOT of picks and players combo.

It's almost like he's untradeable now, and unplayable now.

There's also the fact that if he did play... they might actually be half decent. Not like winning playoff games, or even making playoffs, but potentially on the later, as their defense does seem much improved. Would that even be good for them for the long-run. Not to mention that if he did play, literally EVERY game, pre-season game, press conference, etc. would be question after question about his legal situation which certainly won't help his trade value.

It's a pretty shitty situation all around, and there is indeed some exhaustion on my part as a fan - eg. just get him out of here asap - but indeed if they're willing to give him $10 million this year to do nothing, then make sense to wait it out I guess.

19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What? I just want my QB to be amazing, **** outta here with your moral compass Jack.

Gotta love all the great guys on this team!! That's why the fan support is through the roof!!

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not asking for choir boys, but I think it’s ok to ask for your star QB to not sexually assault women. Pretty fair

eric.81 likes this.