1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] James Harden reveals why he left Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jalen Green OnlyFan, Aug 19, 2021.

?

Does this offend you as a Houstonian?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. No

139 vote(s)
    75.1%
  1. DonatelloLimestone

exactly. the polar nature of it is sad. This guy gave us great memories and delivered hoenstly what maybe only him and lebron could do in terms of raising the floors for these teams nad dominating every aspect adn getting elite results. peopel **** on him, but sniffing the wcf multiple times and almost the finals in itself is a hard thing to do. Its funny people love Dame...he has never carried his team as far as harden yet never gets **** bc hes 'clutch'...well not clutch enough to get to the wcf.

So I've got respect for what he did, I think hes not very savvy and has a lot of flaws too. terrible defense and other qualities we wish we had in a leader, doesnt change that he was a beast and did historic things that take so much mental grit and desire to be great.

So I know he took us in an era that will be hard to replicate, he had his flaws, he also did legendary stuff and i respect that and that he still gives to the community in houston, his foundation is still active here. he doesnt have to do all that with the way people **** on him

he left for the same reason anthony davis left, same reason lebron left, same reason kobe demanded atrade or help. The team cheaped out and wouldnt pay the tax in his window..literally made his job harder with depth and role players awhile he played heavy minutes and a boss who will publicly throw you under the bus..thats why they all headed for greener pastures bc tilman ran it like he does landrys..thats why he disparaged him as a bad culture and then went and offered him 100 milliont to stay?..their nba careers happen in a flash. Anyone in their 30s/40s know how fast 5-6 years flash and thats your entire prime that people base your legacy of your lifes worki(in the nba) on

that said, hes not some hero, he had his flaws. hes gone. I wish him well, I still hope KPJ hits him with the step back and JAlen green challenges him somehow boldly. Its rockets all the way, doesnt mean i gotta tear down a guy who gave us our 2nd best era.

D-rock, Joe Rocket, cmlmel77 and 3 others like this.
  2. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

he was just letting us down one last time

danoman likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

OKC would never be the fashion capital of the US. Don't confuse sports frenzy because of a star and chic fame that attract celebrities. The former will fade as soon as the star is no longer there. (Look at Cleveland.) The latter belongs only to a few cities.

Green Bay used to be the most iconic football town because of Vince Lombardi. But would anyone want to go to Green Bay for his brand?

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol the dude who played injured teams and the dude who played next to Shaq and Prime Gasol. STOP.TELLING.LIES. And he's the best player on Brooklyn, I'll say that again.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ride or die in Houston till Fertita amirite. Welp thats another BS narrative down the drain.

I got no problems with this, NBA is a business if teams can trade loyal players on a whim we shouldnt take it personal if a player chooses to leave for brand/$$$/winning decisions. I do have a major problem with how he left the Rox and intentionally destroyed his trade value but at the end of the day, he gotta do what he gotta do I guess. Doesnt remove everything he did for the franchise prior that.

Harden still likes Houston, did a lot of good things for Houston community and made the team relevant. First WCF appearance since Dream, 90% of that was due to him. I think there was a thread about him doing something for charity even now.

#145 roslolian, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  6. DonatelloLimestone

better than basing your rooting for a team on a budget
    Milwaukee fans are happy you aren't there screaming abotu pj tucker's box score so don't trade for him and that the team lost 1-4 and giannis sucks at freethrows andchokes and proved it last year..that won't help a team losing in the semis 1-4 win the next year....and then[​IMG] https://imagez.tmz.com/image/65/1by1/2021/07/22/65e68c30ef0c4e179b46b7d41ec1bbcb_xl.jpg...without a doubt, Bucks wouldn't have a title if You were a fan or born over there.
    GoRockets...no not go tax savings...go Rockets, take a swing, try to do bold things, try to win...don't cower like the p*ssies if you think the box score showed you you're not good enough, snowflake millenials don't know how to go for the gold unless its guaranteed to them with a linear path.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Kd says hi. Maybe even Harden himself ranks KD ahead of him its that unanimous.

8. DonatelloLimestone

@HoustonWest
    funny how the narrative changes with giannis

last year he was mvp, fell short again in the playoff 1-4, missing free thrwos and then seemed liek a reg season superstar like harden

but the difference was teh fans didn't call him weak and say they can't win with him bc how is a 1-4 team and a superstar who can't shoot going to win a ring? Nah they doubled down. They went and paid a 30 year old holiday max, middleton max
    they went and traded for PJ tucker who everyone here says is trash but played 35 minutes a game on a title holder and won arng

they took a shot, and even this year in the playoffs down 0-2 to brooklyn with giannis playing terrible, some fans here(@roslolian ) would say hes a loser, lets save money for the owner and break this team up... nba wn margins in the playoffs are small, they stuck with it...history happens

Theres a reaosn the guys you mentioned

“I think all records are a sense of pride for the work that you put into the game. So yeah, I’m happy to have it. I’m happy to have it because I think it showcases actually how much you practiced and the effort that I put into it. I think what you are seeing in James Harden is the same thing,” Michael Jordan explained. “He’s not doing this off the whim. It’s something that he’s worked at and he’s perfected to the point where the results are starting to show. Michael Jordan

same guy some people here call lazy, as if like giannis he had this huge advantage of athleticism...hes a skill player, and to do that in a marathon of season takes a strong desire to be truly great...the kobes and butlers and real ones know that and thats why they voted him mvp of players association even when he lost the media race.. i hear you, i wnated more from him in leadership and defense, but it doesnt excuse us cheaping out on the team and blaming him...

you don't think kobe would've left? he demanded a trade the 2nd he felt a season wasted and demanded help

jordan did to in the 80s

lebron left as well when his team couldn't build a contender

Davis, so on...its the new nba, money is big.but the narrative on harden and that talk is why guys are now moving to the big super teams bc their judged as if basketball is played 1-1 by espn/tmz and its followers

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

Stats say otherwise, Im not having this discussion again. Harden is better than him and he's proven that many times over.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hp3 liked your post you realize he's the biggest Giannis hater on the board right? Lol

You are right the narrative does indeed change. Harden left cuz of Fertita now it seems he left for his brand. And a better chance of winning with KD. So can we just stop saying Ariza was the difference maker here for crying out loud. Harden never mentioned Ariza and Ryan Scrubberson as the reasons he didnt win a ring yet somehow thats the narrative.

#150 roslolian, Aug 19, 2021
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Leave me out of it bro, he's not even slandering Giannis in his post either.

roslolian likes this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Who cares. Harden is dead to me.

VickMackey likes this.
  13. DonatelloLimestone

canwestop saying it or chris paul?https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/07/01/chris-paul-trevor-ariza-costly-houston-rockets/https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/07/01/chris-paul-trevor-ariza-costly-houston-rockets/

just like pj tucker, its about cohesion....and one thing you never answer

answer me this

I get the league is tough decisions. So I'm fine with getting rid of ariza, happy? Ok so nowwe're in contention we just got one game from the finals,m uch better than milwaulkee last year...so how do we replace him...thats my thing

we didn't even swing for a sign and trade...we didn't do anyhting but sign minimums

JAmes ennis on the bare minimum in our rotation, actually playing...hey better then nothing right? he sucks, but we're only signign cheap stuff so weneed to fill out the roster...nah we traded him for a protected top 55 2nd rounder...nothing..thats mid season

now imagine harden playing more minutes then any other stars, not sitting while others do for load managemtn and the month before we took our gleague replacement Daniel house who was a starter....yep, sent him home until it was tax friendly...is that the winning culture? would any star giannis, leborn, kd , kobe stand for that stuff?

you never answer that part. Sending rotation players for savings, multiple 2nd rounds, ignoring any options for ariza

you can just literally not replace a starter who plays 35 minutes and then say do better with a worse product? That mentality isnt' going to draw ANY 1A talent who has other options....and thats why everyoen who had an option elsewhere left.

and thats what tilman did...fielded a worse team and then went to press right after a loss and sat there and said he will teach them how to win....can you find me ANY owner be it dolan sterling who talks lie this publicly throwing his stars under the bus?

can you find any owner who publcly volunteers to goto the press and lies about a coach's contract
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...amn-turmoil-unsettling-vibe-surrounds-rockets

harden fell short, no doubt about it...but tilman's lying, meddling, and budget hurt us more than harden's defense. you need depth, you need all hands on deck bc the margins are so thin in the playoffs. Leonard/raptors was a success but that wasn't guranteed hell they literally got one single bounce away from not making history and they still had to pay a 35 year old aging marc gasol to come OFF the bench for 25 minutes 50 million...they did it, no fans are complaining abotu the raptors owners pockets...but here we are with well frankly just a handful or less of rockets fans all about tilman.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm unhappy with his statement. He is still doing good work in the Houston community.
    That counts for something.

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I'm glad we traded him, happy to see him go to somewhere he wanted to be. He still hasn't shown he can put his head down and play through the refs not giving him the same preferential treatment he usually gets in the playoffs.

I hope he gets what he's looking for in Brooklyn, if they don't deliver in a year or two I'm sure the owner will start to look to trading him or Irving shortly.

roslolian likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again thats the symptom that's not the disease. We been over this numerous times. If we had a better managed cap then paying the tax wouldnt be an issue. That team wasnt worth paying the tax, at least from my POV. I'm not simping for Fertita since I dont get a cent from his savings, but if I was the owner I wouldnt pay dollar on dollar tax for roleplayers. The cap was spent on trash like EG and Ryan Anderson, and then that was replaced with Brandon Knight and Marquess Chriss. None of those players are worth paying the tax for. The $$$ received for not paying tax is around 9M annually, and then lux tax is around a 0.5 for dollar tax. So assuming Ryan Anderson makes 18M thats 18M+9M+9M = 36M hypothetical to keep Anderson around. If I'm the owner I'm not oaying effectively max salary for a combination of Ryan Anderson, Marquess Chriss and Brandon Knight. Fertita never shied away from paying Cp3, Wall and WB. He dodged House, Ariza and Scrubberson. See the pattern there? Fertita even okd the biggest supermax deal in history just to make Harden stay. If that deal went thru he would def have to pay the tax as Harden was gonna make over 50M a year.

The replacement for Ariza was supposed to be Melo right? Remember him? Multi time all star, Morey target for over 3 times? Since the Rox he has outplayed Ariza and at a vet min deal at that. As for not doing sign and trades... again thats on Morey and not Fertita. Fertita's only req is he will pay the tax of the team makes the Finals. Morey could have made those sign and trades, gone for that Finals and then pared down the salary at season end to ensure they dont pay the tax if they failed. Its all up to him dude. He the GM for a reason. If they made the Finals and Tillman didnt pay the tax then fine thats on him. But the Rox didnt even make the finals so stop blaming the owner for crying out loud. Adding Ennis was a Morey decision, he could have added any of the undrafted players if he was a better GM. Available were Dort, Moses Brown and Terence David all of whom turned out better than old ass Ariza in just their rookie year.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NBA_draft

Cohesion? Bucks added PJ Tucker and Jrue Holiday among others when they won a ring...it aint about cohesion its about talent. The Bucks had 3 draft picks to give away for talent Morey didnt cuz he been giving away all the picks since 2014 even before Tillman arrived. Difference is Bucks gave away picks for Jrue Holiday and Pj Tucker Morey gave away picks for Ty Lawson, CrippledP3 and Sweet Lou.

Like I said do RCA before you write a novel talking about random crap not related to the topic at hand.

#156 roslolian, Aug 19, 2021
    SkareKrow likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think 27 [edit 31 and counting] people need to get more of a life if they found a way to be offended by this.

#157 B-Bob, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    D-rock, Ramo$e and YOLO like this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Meh. the past is the past.

Ramo$e likes this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Not at all. It's silly more than anything. Houston Rockets are global. Brooklyns in New York so I guess there's that. This guy swear he a rapper. Lol Everything is online now. Just say you wanted to be with KD and couldn't get him to come to Houston. Your Saks Fifth investment would have been fine while visiting strip clubs in Texas.

Jalen Green OnlyFan and Tfor3 like this.
  20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He can't say a damn thing about Giannis now. Lol