1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer league 2021 game 5 thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Aug 16, 2021.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How many times has @JayZ750 said that about Garuba in last few games ... :cool:

D-rock likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

They should have an Olympic style tournament for summer league. Winning team gets a first round pick or 12 million dollars worth of cap relief.
    Garuba was as advertised. Anyone can develop a three ball except Ben Simmons. =)

Drift Monkey, ico4498, saleem and 2 others like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

nice, i was actually going to mention that later in the game play he was talking about. It wasn't the end block, but a drive with like under 5 min in the 4th and he played it perfectly... just a half step less on the close out while prepared to shuffle for the drive.

NBA is just faster. You can tell he's smart and will figure it out. Not worried long term defensively at all with him, just was a bit surprised he had to catch up so much immediately, but speed is speed. He'll get it.

Offensively... well, on the one hand, surprised by his passing. On the other hand... he's not doing anything crazy passing lol. I think a lot of NBA players could benefit passing wise by a simple mantra - if there's a dude wide open and you can pass it to him, and you're not wide open, pass it to him, lol. That's basically what he did. Like there was a play where he got an offensive rebound, waited a second, found Anderson 7 feet from the basket right outside the lane, and passed it to him. I think Anderson was a bit surprised because these days either the big goes back up for the put back or it gets passed out to restart - Anderson was still able to score. Just pass to the wide open dude... it's not hard. He seems solid on his put backs. I don't like him dribbling, or doing post moves, and his shot needs work, but its not horrible, so give it 1-3 years.

Aside... Weaver sounds exactly like Beto O'Rourke

joshuaao, D-rock and ROXTXIA like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Passing" and "simple": One thing about Harden that made me crazy sometimes was when he seemed to get bored and tried passes that would look cool on SportsCenter if they worked. I'd scream, "Have you seen your turnover numbers?"

Get it to the open man, where the opponent can't get to it, and good things usually happen.

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

100% will be Garuba. Many posters were ******** on him during his first 2 games. The guy literally stepped off the plane, rested for a little bit and played basketball. Some people don't understand, even if you are a great defensive player, you still need your team to play competent team defense. If your guards keep letting their man blow by them, your defensive anchor will look like garbage because he has to cover for the guard while going back to his man. Garuba will be an important piece for championship contenders. He can play elite defense while having good court vision. Very very excited with this year's draftees

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

He actually looked pretty good running the break a couple times. He can't shoot, but he's not a total zero on offense.

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Holy ****! He looked amazing in these highlights. Did he really play this well other than his highlights? I figured with all of these plays, he lead the team in +/- and that appears to be the case with a +14. JC had a +11. Looking good!

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Thanks for the update! Yeah, watching the video footage from the game - it looks like Weaver was intentionally putting Garuba in the "Draymond spot" to see him make reads out of the high post to shooters - and it seems like he did pretty well in that role making quick, decisive reads. Considering Green is already a knock down shooter used to playing off ball - I could see us trying to use Green similar to Curry and Garuba similar to Draymond. We know Garuba's defense will be a strength but if he can find ways to make the offense better with smart passes to off ball action - that makes him a lot more playable despite being a poor shooter overall.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. Garuba showed his off the charts defensive prowess, but not only that - the guy is a terrific passer. Either he has great instincts for knowing where his teammates are on the floor, or he has eyes in the back of his head. ;-)

Those long arms of his were whipping passes that were on target and it's easy to imagine him doing the same thing when the games count. Jalen "here it comes from downtown!" Green must be salivating!

#331 Deckard, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  12. platypus

platypus Member

I can recall a few comebacks with the Harden Rockets where this exact scenario occurred

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Short answer, yes. The key to properly understanding and managing expectations when watching SL is to look at behaviors and strive to understand thought processes. Like there is pretty minimal in game coaching during SL as the coaches don't really care too much about winning games. Hell, some teams don't even have a proper lineup. All they really want is to get a better idea before preseason of what a player is capable of or not capable of. This will help them decide what they want to focus on during preseason and season for the player in terms of within the team and schemes or even G-League.

Like, if Christopher and Garuba have a bad game from a box score perspective, I really don't care. I only care about what they were doing during the game and how they were handling the situations being thrown at them. Always look at the behaviors during these types of games, not the results.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks Deck! I think his passing comes down to being well versed in playing TEAM basketball. I'm thinking the one pass he received in the high-post and whipped it to Brooks for a 3 was perfect ball movement. Really nice to see that versus dribble, dribble, more dribbles and a shot. Hope we can do a lot more of that with both Sengun and Garuba next year.

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Only about
    2 months
    1 day
    3 hours
    26 minutes
    20 seconds

till the next game thread…

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yah I didn’t see the game but being down 7 w 2 minutes is absolutely doable. One quick 3 and you’re down 4 with almost 2 minutes left. Unless they just were sucking all game and then all the sudden they went on a run, it’s not that crazy of a situation…at all.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Kevooooo and D-rock like this.