1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Josh Christopher moves with his crossover and midrange is similar to Dwyane Wade.

Josh Christopher needs to improve so much, but he is 19 years old. G League is perfect for him right now. Develop him quickly as a Point Guard.

If he continued as a Shooting Guard, he wouldn't develop much honestly. Rockets are maximizing his talent, Josh feels that the Rockets care about his full potential.

Josh I think has no problem going to the G League and Improve himself. He knows he can be Great Player in the League.

So many Guards in the NBA became late bloomers or busts. The Rockets want to develop him quickly in the G League.

kevtse and hakeem94 like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Let's hope you're right. The last game was promising.

rockets1995 likes this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Again, how is "maxing out at Westbrook" a bad thing? MVP, averaging a triple-double multiple times? If that's the kind of player we got at pick 24, you don't consider that a massively successful pick? Are you actually deluded enough to suggest Westbrook isn't a star player/top tier? CF is absolutely crazy sometimes with how they underrate bonafide HOFers and then big up absolute trash like Dmo and Hartenstein. Mental.

DasouthDakota likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it all depends what is your goal...
    is your goal winning championship?
    putting people in seats?
    playing bb the right way?
    something else?

i would rather cristopher develop into lesser jrue holiday type, or greater bobby portis type than in russel westbrook type

but i guess an average GM would like more wb type cause its more marketable and even more conducive to winning if traded in the right moment or surrounded with proper teammates

bmelo likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jc has all the tools to be a nice pg it's just the basketball iq is lacking. This is where a good coach fixes that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. smr6

smr6 Member

I liked the potential I saw our of Christopher in these games, wasn't thrilled about the pick when it was made, but I can see exactly why Stone went after him now. A 19 year rookie with poor decision making should hardly be an indictment on his chances at success in the NBA. If he still hasnt improved it any after 1 or 2 seasons playing with NBA coaching, better players, and a more defined specific role then I would see that as a concern. He flashed the upside you would hope especially for a 24th overall pick.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It would really be nice if Christopher could develop into a playmaking PG.

KPJ / Christopher
    Green / Brooks
    Tate / KMJ
    Sengun / Garuba
    Wood / Theis

Nice young core there.

D-rock, kevtse, PatBev and 2 others like this.
  9. vince

vince Member

It would be borderline delusional to think that every young player will catch on, and excel. But I think the Rockets are on a might strong path, by having strength in numbers.

Josh Christopher has all the tools to be at minimum a member of a playoff team 8-man rotation. But he obviously has the skillset to be a elite player, if guided correctly. A very high ceiling if things pan out well for Christopher.

So the coaches will need to work with the young players, to build a good rapport with them so that they can take proper instructions.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was with you all the way until "trash like Hartenstein". Now I will fight you.

D-rock, harold bingo and hakeem94 like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

True, although I do keep wondering at our propensity to square-peg-round-hole some of these guys. Obviously you want playmakers all across the floor; but I think Harden spoiled us, having a SG who also was so good at passing (my earlier comment about his errant "I'm-bored" dipsy-doodle passing notwithstanding).

I think these young guys will develop passing skills. I also wish one of them was a true PG floor leader, not someone who can flip the occasional switch.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Definitely some quality guards picked after him, but he alone has a unique combination of scoring, solid enough handles and passing ability to be a secondary ball handler and distributer, solid on ball defense, rebounding, and size. He needs to iron out that 3 point shot, but he is 19 and full of potential.

#212 vator, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Lovin' the highlights. He doesn't back down an inch all game. That midrange stroke looks good. Those shooting percentages are going to rise with time.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Who do you think is better than JC? I Know Cam Thomas is up there, but who else so I can track their progress.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Quentin Grimes :mad:

But for real, I think Gup can have a more spectacular career than Grimes. I'll be rooting for him (and screaming at him, no doubt).

DreamShook likes this.
  16. VoR

VoR Member

Looking at Westbrook's stat line for his rookie season, it really took him some time to develop as a passer. I am more than okay if he has a similar stat line this year. I looks like they might be trying to groom him into a PG/SG/SF hybrid, which is pretty much the Westbrook blueprint. It will be interesting to see the playing time he gets in an increasingly crowded backcourt. I wouldn't be terribly upset to see him start in the G-League, but I don't know if that would hurt his morale. He NEEDS playing time and KPJ and Green are going to get the lion's share. Brooks and Wall added to the mix and we are starting to look like we have an embarrassment of riches in the backcourt. Wall for Turner or Bamba could shape out the roster well, but we might have to lose too much to secure it. Luckily, the goal isn't to win next season, but we need to get touches for all of these kids.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

well if you have a prime WB then you can trade him for a pkg that will help you win a chip

#217 vlaurelio, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That highlight at 2:23 still has me cracking up. I know what he was trying to do, and the clip cuts off before the obvious turnover, but God, that was the point I was screaming for a drug test. :D

He's a good kid and I see potential in him, but the problem is highlight clips like these only show the highlights. They don't show all the mistakes. That being said, he did improve as the games went on and he, I guess, settled down and decided not to try and be MJ. I hope he ends up some kind of steal because I love his interviews and how he's pretty positive.

D-rock likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

such kind of player is perhaps hillarious and fun occassionaly but the kind of player i never want as my teammate when i ball...they ruin basketball for me
    i mean dude what the heck?! why do you even want to play basketball?
    just go to the empty gym and take all the shots yourself lololololol