1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Sengun be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Best comparasion for Sengun

1. Jokic

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Plumlee

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Nurkic

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sabonis

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. KAT

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Role player/Starter

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. other: post

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yep, they were saying he is not big enough to be a 4 and not quick enough to be a 3. They didn't simply say he is too small. Who is the second 20 year old prospect? Was it also on Green a year earlier. If we have to digress, Green lucked out to play alongside two best shooters in his entire career. I can see a different scenario in his case had he not been in the Warrior's uniform. I hate that smacking mouth of his. I still think he is a bit overrated. His success is with the Warrior's system.

Check my first post ... I said "says who a PF has to have Chris Webber kind of athleticism to shine in this league". I am just not jumping to the conclusion this quick that "Sengun is defenisively amazing" "Sengun is such a surprise defenisvely" based on a few SL games he played. He is more polished than most other kids playinging the SL games, but does that translate to real NBA. Let's just hold it a bit.

hakeem94 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would like to see Sengun be the focal point of the offense. I'd like to see him shoot the ball 20 times with at least five threes. I think he'd put up 30. Get this kid involved.

I'm not a Sengun only fan, but this kid has tons of potential. If he and Green reach their potential, it doesn't matter what the other two do. Although, it seems Christopher will be a serviceable role player at least.

I'd like to see Garuba get 30 minutes, too. Let's see what he can do.

This was an amazing draft.

Let's go Sengun. 30 points, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3 assists tonight.

Drift Monkey, CXbby, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

The scouting reports were accurate, but the conclusions drawn were off.
    Green is small and slow, they got that right, but he compensated with excellent IQ and positioning, positional defense. The same for Jokic. Kanter never got that, so he's a huge net negative, despite having a nice touch around the basket and good rebounding.

Another thing when roasting the scouts: don't forget that Green benefited hugely from 2 things:
    1. the temporary extinction of good post-up players due to junk science fads like Morey-ball, etc..
    2. The explicit preference for opponents' perimeter players to hunt Curry, instead of Green. That's a big one. Once Kanter steps on the floor, opponents have singular focus on getting him on an island on the perimeter. Not so with Green; he benefits not by being great on the perimeter, but just better than his teammate, so that he is no longer the target.

In general, don't forget that defense is purely situational, and most commentators now agree on that. Is 3x DPOY Rudy Gobert a good defender? In certain contexts, yes. But then, take a look at the L.A. Clipeprs scheme in the second round and he was plainly pathetic, with record-breaking poor defensive ratings.

D.Green similarly built a reputation by being in beneficial contexts in his career.

I've said this many times: the 0-27 junk-science-inspired debacle was the most traumatic experience for me as a Rocket fan. I sincerely thought that had we suited the then 53 year-old Hakeem for few plays he would have murdered Green and we would have won. Just a lucky b*stard, playing at 5 when a bunch of charlatans decided to chase capable post-up centers from the league. Ironically, the biggest fraud of them now has the best post-up player in the league and can't stop singing his praises....

hakeem94 and YallMean like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was comparing Sengun to Domantas Sabonis, not Arvydas Sabonis.

Drift Monkey and YallMean like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

:rolleyes:

The entire NBA is predicated on this "junk science" now.

Modern NBA is outside-in because the rules favor guards, most NBA players are now highly skilled shooters/ball handlers including bigs, and analytics have proven that the mid-range is inefficient.

That doesnt mean mid-range shot (or post up) is extinct. But those shots are reserved for players who are elite in that area.

There is no junk science, only junk scientists.

Drift Monkey and harold bingo like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yanis not elite at midrange but he won the finals using that shot successfully in games 5 and 6

also various other players not necessary elite at midrange have successfully used the shot throughout the recent playoffs(and history) to help win the games for their teams...so yeah

Drift Monkey and NewAge like this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's a very bizarre justification: We saw in the last two years Jimmy Butler, Chris Paul, Kris Middleton midrange their way into the NBA Finals... What you are saying is that doesn't count because they are good at it?

Well, traditional basketball minds know that you need to utilize your players talents. Steph Curry and and Klay are unquestionably the two best distance shooters in history, but they only got one ring, before having KD and his midrange come to the rescue. So, I'd say the evidence is exactly the opposite of what you're saying: you can only rely on the 3pt if you have the very best in history and even then it is not a very reliable weapon in the playoffs.

The Morey-ball BS is over, the evidence is clear. it was never a good scientific theory, just a shallow fraud by a shallow charlatan...

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Reading is fundamental.

The mid-range or post up is not dead, simply reserved for players/teams who are really good at it.

How hard is this to understand?

But you keep dancing around and around this simple point so you can rant and rave in your tinfoil capped conspiracy pajamas.

Drift Monkey and harold bingo like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is incorrect.

Suns were actually more prolific and more efficient with mid-range than Bucks.

Points scored by area, 2021 Finals

Area MIL PHX Diff. Per game
    Restricted area 218 152 +66 +11.0
    Other paint 76 96 -20 -3.3
    Total in paint 294 248 +46 +7.7
    Mid-range 76 120 -44 -7.3
    3-point range 198 198 0 0.0
    Total outside paint 274 318 -44 -7.3
    Free throws 102 90 +12 +2.0
    Fast break points 97 56 +41 +6.8
    2nd chance points 91 54 +37 +6.2

https://www.nba.com/news/the-finals-stat-giannis-antetokounmpo-bucks-dominate-inside

In the last critical games of the Finals vs. Suns, Giannis was elite at FT and most critically at the cup.

Giannis averaged over 16 PPG at the rim, only Shaq averaged more points at rim in playoffs history.

He had to adjust his game because he was absolutely abyssmal beyond the arc. They do not win without this adjustment.

Again, not junk science. Just junk scientists.

#189 D-rock, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

a. yes the other scouting report was also on green when he was a year younger

b. you ( and other posters) have shown a lot of creativity in explaining away why the player who scouts judged negatively made a blinding success, i think you may be right but imho it just goes to show we never know whats going to happen and every thing is gonna work or not depending on luck and the situation

c. btw its hillarious how posters keep piling on kanter and he went into WCF as a significant contributor for his team...I am sure you can win NBA with kanter on your team if there is a good system or good coach to extract the best from him

Drift Monkey, YallMean and NewAge like this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m confused. Aren’t you the one arguing that Sengun can’t be athletic otherwise he wouldn’t have been picked 16?

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

are you any better than him tho? LOLOLOL because people not really good at midrange keep using it and winning games in playoffs even finals eg YANIS

Drift Monkey likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

awesome job beating the strawman and skipping over the arguments you cant win against ;)

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

???

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. YallMean

YallMean Member

I came here because of these
    1) the kid is skilled already for a big and just won a MVP in a good league. You don’t just win a MVP at 18 by not being special. The fact that he has learned these skills tells about work ethics and basketball intelligence. This reminds me of Yao

2) The Turkish National team will continue to work with him. I can already see his position awareness, good foot work, some shooting range. He is going to have a group of coaches home continue to work with him in the summers.

These are the things going on for him I don’t see see happening for other prospects.

I also don’t think Kanter is a good comparison either.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am arguing that he needs time to develop in the league for his frame and physical abilities. We need to be patient with him.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don’t think anyone would argue against that. You just can’t put him in a box just because he was picked 16th and assume nba scouts can’t make mistakes when history has proven it is guaranteed that they will make mistakes every year.

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Sengun reminds me of a mix between Pau Gasol and Scola

Sky's The Limit

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Me too. It will be great to see how he looks as the star of the show, but with an actual PG and more shooting around him. I thought my excitement for summer league would be gone after JG went down, but I'm definitely excited to watch today.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I originally thought he would project to be Kanter but he’s got much more potential than that. His defense and passing are looking more superior than that.

I think young Scola + Horford is good projection for him at this stage.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.