1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good can Sengun be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonatelloLimestone, Aug 14, 2021.

?

Best comparasion for Sengun

1. Jokic

39 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Plumlee

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Nurkic

11 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sabonis

71 vote(s)
    46.7%
  5. KAT

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Role player/Starter

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  7. other: post

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. anchel

anchel Member

+1. Hopefully part of our "new culture" is based on building proper and winning habits from the bottom, with attention to details, and REALLY focus on player development. Our old club structure was basically "let's do whatever Harden wants", definitely not focusing our goals on player development or not paying attention to little key details.

Starting with our whole coaching staff, I think we are better prepared now for it. We have some modern basketball minds at the first stage of their careers, hungry and motivated to evolve and building something special... You can tell they're putting a lot of time and excitement at their jobs.

Hopefully we can move towards a Spurs kind of culture and if Alperen has the correct mindset and our coaches invest quality time and do good their jobs, this guy can turn out to be a special player even with his weaknesses.

Also is very important Stone's job at the roster building, as you gotta be very sensitive with the roles, what kind of leaders you put onto your locker room... And at the same time having QUALITY vets mixed with your youngsters.

#161 anchel, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    fattz, Drift Monkey, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Dude you are obviously very passionate about Sengen. I almost start calling you Sengun only fan. :) I am trying to talk basketball here. You are fumed on your passion. A bit frustrating with all these statements you randomly throw around to make the case that Sengun is Pau Gasol and Al Horford level athletically and just won the Turkish league MVP at 18. If that’s the case, he should have gone top 3.

Giannis was picked solely based on his athletic abilities. He only started playing any basketball 5 years before he was picked by the NBA. That’s not a good comparison, isn’t it. The NBA didn’t get his physical ability wrong? Did they. They just didn’t know he skilled he would be as a basketball player. There are a ton of physical world beaters in the NBA could not stay in the league long. In Giannis case, what the NBA didn’t know at the time was his work ethics , the relentless desire to get better.

Capella was a bit of the same story. I don’t know anything about Kia Jones. But according to you, he is not athletic and probably not as skilled as Sengun. So why was he picked over Sengun?
    By the way the highlight video you showed doesn’t show me how laterally he moves in reaction to opposing players he guards. I have seen with my own eyes in SL that he had awkward moves a few times in those situations.

#162 YallMean, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  3. omgTHEpotential

I was talking about Domantas. :)

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, I’m just not a fan of uninformed bad opinions.
    In no way am I any type of only fan, I’m a sports fan period. You just have an antiquated view of what athleticism looks like. You’re literally trying to claim Sengun, an 18 yr old MVP in a top 3 league in the world that has extensive tape showing you high levels of athletic potential, is Brad Miller level.
    Biomechanics movement and explosiveness, he is very similar to Pau and Horford.
    **** That doesn’t mean he will be either of them, that means the athletic makeup is similar.
    That might be hard for you to understand, I get that.
    You really need to get off the “he wasn’t a top 3 or lottery pick”
    This was one of the deepest drafts in years and the league is still behind in terms of evaluating Euro players. If they weren’t, Luka would have been number 1 overall.

Drift Monkey, D-rock and CXbby like this.
  5. omgTHEpotential

There's a fella on the Cavs board who's really smart and even has his own model for evaluating prospects. Sengun ranked first overall in that model. So there might be something there.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Okay I hope I am wrong and you are right. I would be very glad to admit I am wrong when I see him play in the real NBA. Pau Gasol was rookie of the year. So you are saying Sengun should be at least that, right?

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No man. I’m saying their athletic profile is similar. In terms of speed, agility, verticality, coordination, second jump, timing.

Biomechanically their movements are even similar.

There are many factors that go into success, I think Sengun has the skill set and athletic profile to be a very good player. That doesn’t mean he will be.

As you said, the league is littered with talent that never amounted to much.

Drift Monkey, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hehe, Pau’s main issue at his early 20s was his slight build at 5 and his desire to get dirty at 5. NBA still had lots of plowing big men that time. Pau didn’t like that. Lateral quickness was not an issue of his. Yao had that issue. But that was hidden because 1) he didn’t have to play quicker bigs at 5 all them at the time and 2) his size and skill dominated so much that issue was largely viewed as not a big deal in his case.

I hope Sengun comes out blazing, moves left and right in the zone at NBA average speed so to get more burns at NBA speed.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you conveniently skipped over draymond green parable
    show me one NBA scout opinion who thought draymond green is athletic and big enough to be dpoy or successfully guard centers in nba

lolololol you trust too much nba scouts and teams drafting players and they proved repeatedly time and again to be clueless

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

No way nba scouts get things so wrong that they pick Rudy Gobert 27th I mean why else would 26 teams pass on him. They are always right that’s why Sengun can never be as good as Anthony Bennett, Hasheem Thabeet, and Darko who were picked in the top 3!

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Sengun once had 8 blocks in a game this is what separates him from D.Sabonis.

Drift Monkey, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Chamillionaire

Reminds me of a shorter Pau Gasol.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sabonis has a negative wingspan, or T. rex arms. Sengun looks like he has arms roughly the same length as Garuba’s in the most recent team photos. Garuba has a 7’2 wingspan.

Drift Monkey, cmoak1982 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Today's game should be interesting for Alpi. With JG out, Brooks back and a new PG, hopefully Dream Weaver will run a little more of the offense through Sengun. Having Brooks to spot up outside should give Alpi some more room to work inside. Hopefully Thomas is back as well and we'll have some experience in the backcourt.

Last game was a disaster, looking for a bounce back today led by Sengun.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don’t recall they said Green was too small. They just said that he is slotted to be a 3/4, which was almost a death sentence at that position because that means he is undersized and not skilled at that point. Draft is a projection. I don’t think that was necessarily wrong. We are arguing where Sengun’s physical ability lies. You seem to conflate how successful he will be, which I am not debating at all. I just don’t think Sengun will be gun blazing out of the gate. I think he needs time to be good to great in the league, which was Green’s case as well. Cool?

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Seen tons of comparisons to Jokic before he was drafted but hoping he can atleast be a Sabonis.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well Tony Parker was drafted 30th, and Udonis Haslem and Ben Wallace were not drafted at all. Your point? Sengun has the lateral quickness based on the few SL games you see him play? You are more knowledgeable than that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I like him have no idea how good he’ll end up but rebounding and defense is not something I’m worried about because he tries really hard be it in the paint or on the perimeter which is what will make u a plus on that end even if your not the most physically gifted.

I don’t get why they keep saying he’s 6’9 though the guy looks closer to 7 ft to me than 6’9 I def think he’s legit 6’11 in shoes.

19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Sen of a gun. He ok.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

“Unfortunately, [21 year old prospect]’s defensive deficiencies have become even more pronounced as a senior. At 6’7, he is too small to guard elite post players, and lacks the lateral quickness to defend perimeter players, even face-up power forwards at the NCAA level. While his effort and aggressiveness will never be questioned, it is difficult to project him as an adequate NBA defender at this time.”

“Unfortunately, [20 year old prospect]’s physical limitations make it quite difficult to project him as being anything more than a liability on this end of the floor in the NBA. His lack of size means he’s quite easy to post up and just shoot over the top of even at the NCAA level, and his poor lateral quickness makes it tough to envision him being able to guard most power forwards on the perimeter or even less likely small forwards, which his height suggests he’d have to. This will be a major hurdle for [prospect] to overcome, and it’s not quite clear whether a NBA team will be able to get past this issue, despite what he contributes in various other facets of the game”

https://deanondraft.com/2021/07/10/...ld-school-to-succeed-or-too-talented-to-fail/

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.