1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Haha... that word would definitely work, too. But I'm sticking with apoplectic:

ap·o·plec·tic
    /ˌapəˈplektik/
    adjective
    INFORMAL
    1. overcome with anger; extremely indignant.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not defending the Texans, they aren’t handling it well. But they’re in a no win situation with Watson no matter how they handled it.
    That’s Watsons fault

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I still don’t blame them for not wanting to answer questions about Watson. I don’t blame them for trying to protect the rest of the team from the media questions about a sexual predator.

raining threes and eric.81 like this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sure but as @eric.81 posted, the media is killing the Texans for how they are handling things, not that it happened in the first place. And if we agree that they aren't handling it well, its a fair assessment IMO.

raining threes, eric.81 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. eric.81

Yeah, that's fair. I don't blame them for that... I do blame them for their ham-fisted efforts though... if they didn't think they'd be dragged for trying to keep the media out of practice 2 weeks ahead of schedule, then they're just as dumb and dysfunctional as we all thought. And when your PR has been as bad as the Texans PR has been over the past few years, you can't roll like this and hope for a good result.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair

eric.81 likes this.
  7. raining threes

True, but who really cares about the media.

They all suck as human beings. They know what's going on and are trying to milk this for all that its worth.

There should be a roll call of all the media Watson nuthuggers.

8. eric.81

I think it's really unfair to portray any group of people as a monolith. Not all members of the media "suck as human beings" and spouting stuff like that is irresponsible and, to put it politely, not very nice.

Most of the people out there taking photos and video and asking questions were sent there by their employer to complete a task and most of them are honestly just doing their job and trying to put food on their table.

Also, the news media only send their employees out there to report on stuff that they know will get eyeballs, listens, and clicks. This is a capitalist society and everyone is out to make a profit. If the public wasn't thirsty for Deshaun Watson news, then you wouldn't find any members of the media out there at all.

clos4life likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you. It’s still gossipy, high school behavior.
    And media types tend to get on their high horse if teams/players don’t give them what they want. Like, who the hell are you as a media person?!
    And the “public” that wants it is no different than the public that watches trash TV like the Kardashians.
    Report facts, of the entire team, not just the story that will get clicks.

HTXSportsAddict and eric.81 like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen to the media comments. Sure wish everyone in America would wake up and understand what lying, self-serving pieces of sh*t they are.

12. raining threes

When it comes to the media I'm not very nice or aplogetic.

They have a responsibility to report the news and they've failed. The fact that they only care about clicks tells you all you need to know about where they stand.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deshaun Watson still has not put his name on it.

He hasn't answered a single question from the local media since the end of the 2020 season, when he was still publicly pushing the Texans to re-sign his favorite teammates and build a serious Super Bowl contender around him.

He's never discussed his (intentionally leaked) trade demands or the fact that he turned on the Texans months after signing a four-year, $156 million contract extension.

He didn't participate in offseason activities and has barely participated with the 2021 Texans during training camp, despite the fact that first-year head coach David Culley went out of his way to stand behind Watson in March.

Watson also hasn't publicly addressed all the serious off-the-field issues he's facing, which could ultimately lead to an NFL suspension.

And, yes, Texans haters. As always, some of this is obviously the Texans' fault.

But Watson cracked a little Thursday while Culley and the non-Watson Texans were preparing for their first preseason game at Green Bay, complaining about the daily attention he receives for basically doing nothing.

“Why are you all always filming me every day? It’s the same (expletive)," Watson said while raising his hands.

Watson created this mess. The Texans' fourth-string quarterback could also speak to the media (and Texans fans) at any time.

Recorders and cameras would roll, I promise, and Watson wouldn't be the first pro athlete to demand football-only questions.

Technically, he should have already participated in a post-practice interview.

I requested a media interview with Watson on the first day of training camp. Nothing happened. Sixteen days later, Watson hasn't answered a single question about anything and the only words he's spoken were a weak, childish attack.

He's set to make $10.5 million this season.

He's supposed to make $35 million next year.

He led the NFL in passing in 2020 and is now a fourth-stringer on a bad, rebuilding team ... because he demanded a trade and the Texans have spent months struggling to trade him.

It's absolutely amazing how much has changed for Watson and the Texans in less than a year. Watson used to say "be legendary" all the time. That was his thing.

D4 said this on Aug. 21, 2020 during Bill O'Brien's final training camp.

"I’m trying to, of course, be legendary," Watson said. "That’s my word since college and for me to be that I have to win a Super Bowl and definitely win it with the Houston Texans. We’ve never won one here before and we haven’t even come on the brink of winning one. We’ve got to get to that game before that, and then of course we can think about that. But, yeah, I’m trying to create history and continue that and make it a dynasty.”

Be legendary. Win a Super Bowl with the Houston Texans. Make it a dynasty.

Less than a year later, Watson said this while barely doing anything for the Texans on Thursday and saving another $50,000.

"Why are you all always filming me every day? It’s the same (expletive).”

Watson's right.

It is.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/brian-t-smith/article/Smith-Deshaun-Watson-has-gone-from-legendary-16382815.php

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Texans are such a joke franchise, totally mishandled this situation. Clowns.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, it's their fault Watson is a rapist.....

What in your mind is the proper way to "handle" this situation?

raining threes likes this.
  16. SuraGotMadHops

This is absolutely true, and the primary reason why the Astros became target numero uno when it came to a league wide issue with sign stealing. Luhnow was mean to Dreillich, then Verlander was mean to the guy from Detroit, then Footer got horsey about Osuna, it goes on and on. Add on top of that the LA and NY media were looking for a reason to dog the Astros after our team waxed their team and beat them at their own sign stealing game.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Tell the people/media the truth. Watson requested a trade and we'll try to accommodate him but legal situation is complicating matters. In the meantime we're looking to the future and developing other QBs. He is part of our team and will be for the foreseeable future until we find a deal that makes sense for all parties. Simple. Honest. Not be idiots and try to close access to media. Texans are r****ds and are handling this situation like idiots.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows that already...so what difference would it make?

They'd still be stuck with a rapist they can't really trade who isn't even seeking redemption because he's a piece of garbage.

There's really no good way to handle a situation like that.

There's a lot of "if Watson was a better person" scenarios.... but he's not a better person, so those scenarios are irrelevant

raining threes and BigM like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yes there is, by not making yourselves look Ike idiots trying to close access to media because you can't handle criticism.

Just because everyone "knows "the situation doesn't mean you try to hide it. You bring it out in the open, you address it and then everyone can move on. Really, just a clumsy way to deal with an unfortunate situation, no PR skills at all.

Red.Glare and Deep Steel Truth like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By admitting "hey we're stuck with a rapist we'd like to trade, but it turns out he might be facing charges so he's untradeable at the moment" wouldn't lead to everyone moving on, it would just add to the circus environment.

They are obviously trying to downplay the situation and that's probably the best thing you can do

raining threes likes this.