1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SUMMER LEAGUE 2021!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jul 3, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great point!!!

But Weaver should be using Hurt this way too.

For example, either see 3rd vid - Thriller not reading his options properly or Weaver not emphasizing it.

#2981 D-rock, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  2. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

I'm trying to have a discussion a Rocket forum. Let's try to be charitable to one another, we are all Rockets fans here.

And Green did commit too many turnovers, that was what the comment I replied to said as well.
    But the more important part is not the number of turnovers, but their nature. That's what the discussion should be.

I should note though, watching the tape, sharing timestamps, etc, seems a lot more "chalant" than not watching a 1m YT video and just believing the stats you read on ESPN.com, heh.

I'm actually legitimately curious at this point whether they are TOs or not, so I could also learn something new here. Help me out here and just watch it. :)

joshuaao and Downtown Sniper like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Whether Green had 4 or 6 TOS is really no biggie.

All ball dominant players will experience high TO games, it's the nature of the beast.

Especially when teams throw out new or exotic schemes against the player.

Just prepare yourself because it's going to happen often in regular season until Thriller figures it out or Rockets scheme to kill teams for trying.

Happens to all scorers, the great ones learn from it.

CVcrew likes this.
  4. smr6

smr6 Member

FYI they ruled that 4th one you are counting in the first 36 seconds as out on DET and ball stayed with Houston, announcers called it wrong.

Also at 2:48 Houston did not lose possession so not a turnover. Still bad plays, but not statistical turnovers.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I watched it for you. He had 5 turnovers. The one at 2:48, Rockets retained possession.

Edit: explained above. Looks like the 4 turnovers is right.

joshuaao, D-rock and 19bernardo87 like this.
  6. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

Ah, thank you.
    Then 5 as the OP had mentioned initially (or is there another one I'm miscounting?)

smr6 likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Theis/Sengun
    Wood/Garuba
    Green/KJ
    Tate/Gordon
    KPJ/Christopher/Augustin

This group would have such great chemistry. We're a max-deserving FA/acquisition away from contending next year a la Suns. With Gordon/Wall becoming expiring contracts next summer and us still having draft assets and 2nd tier young players to trade, I hope the team goes after a trade target rather than pin all their hopes on FA success in the near future (while not giving up on FA's either). If we don't tank for one more top pick, then we need to do something similar to what the Suns did, acquire an experienced vet preferrably a well rounded 2-way wing with a good wingspan (dream scenario is a prime Iguodala with a slightly better corner 3). We have good wingspan with our bigs, but the rest of the team doesn't have that kind of length even the athletic kids. It's always safer to go for one more top 5 pick and control our own destiny. Stone seems to be a great scout, we should use that.

Garuba's development will be key too, keen to see him on the court. If he's ahead of schedule on his shooting development - and he already does everything else at pro level - then honestly we might have a Warriors-like transformational draft on our hands. Sengun/Theis (Bogut), Garuba (Draymond), Green (Curry), Christopher/KPJ (Klay), Tate (Iggy), Wood (probably better than Barnes, not better than Durant obviously). Silas eerily reminds me of Mark Jackson too, while having some shades of MDA. The big difference of course our backcourt is not as potent from 3pt range as Curry/Klay, but I feel like they can almost match the efficiency and volume in a couple of years because both KPJ and Green have shades of Harden in their game. Interesting to think about.

(Oh and we have to give Wall minutes. Bummer.)

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  8. smr6

smr6 Member

I added an edit after you saw this as to why it was down to 4. The 2 you added were still bad plays, but not statistical turnovers by the book.

9. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

Thank you. That does bring the count down.
    So it wasn't his "worst turnover", but I think it was definitely his worst play in the game (and we were a bit lucky to keep the ball).

smr6 and BigM like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm going to hope for Morey not finding a decent trade for Simmons, the Sixers imploding, and Embiid demanding a trade. Imagine a line up of:

Embiid
    Wood
    Tate
    Green
    KPJ

With depth of Sengun, KJ, JC, Garuba, etc.

I'll keep dreaming.....

D-rock likes this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Obviously you don’t want turnovers but at this point in the development of these young guys it’s not a big deal. Particularly in a summer league setting. They need to learn their teammates, what they can get away with in the NBA, etc. What you don’t want to see is the same type of turnover again and again and again. As long as they’re showing they can learn from mistakes it’s ok.

To Green’s credit he came out amped up against a defense geared to stop him and made a lot of mistakes. He then took a step back and let it come to him. That’s learning.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Green is what I expected him to be as the #2 pick

Sengun is the one that’s exceeding expectations

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  13. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

Totally agree. I personally think he had a bad game, but he has a ton of upside and plenty of time to improve those areas (which I'll group under "decision making").

14. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Are you excited about Justin Anderson?

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it was due to the Pistons throwing everything at him and honestly he shouldn't be a ball dominant player right now.

After the brutal start he was smart enough to play more off ball and as a result he torched them after the first quarter.

Not having a real point guard in Summer league is forcing guys into roles they probably shouldn't have but it won't be a problem during the season

hakeem94 and raining threes like this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If that’s what a bad game looks like for Jalen Green we’re all going to be incredibly happy.

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha f no, he will be cut sooner than you can blink. I'm not interested in keeping Thomas either. Want to see more of Lamb.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would be awesome but no matter what the Sixers get for Simmons, they will be a better playoff team next season so it will take longer for Embiid to break loose.

I have my eye on Mikal Bridges, Paul George, maybe Otto Porter (if he has a big bounce back as I expect), Aaron Gordon, OG Anunoby, Hachimura, Jaylen Brown, Jerami Grant.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

First-round pick Usman Garuba to join Rockets at Summer League
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Usman-Garuba-to-join-Rockets-Summer-League-16380092.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

It has not yet been determined if he will play though it would seem unlikely that he would participate in the Rockets’ third game, Thursday against the Toronto Raptors.

The Rockets' next game would be Sunday against the Orlando Magic before they conclude their summer league schedule either Aug. 16 or 17.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Years of D-Rock gushing over him, listing his wingspan a dozen times... now he doesn't even care

He's got new crushes

[​IMG]

hakeem94, pippendagimp and D-rock like this.