1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleeping on Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Jul 6, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

It doesn’t get more of a hole than Cleveland. I legit fear for his development.

2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I see a lot of Brandon Roy in Suggs actually, only time will tell. Magic got an absolute steal at #4 though regardless. Scottie Barnes is nice, but will not end up being one of the top 5 players in this draft. I just see too much Ruben Patterson in him, not a bad player, but not at #3 overall.

Jontro and csnerd84 like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's true, but man, we're having fun again. Rockets are back in the NBA zeitgeist. When Harden left, I didn't realize how much I would miss just being a part of the daily NBA discourse. The Rockets were basically forgotten and never talked about. The conversations with the Rockets involved is so much more fun to participate in.

thankfully the drought was only for one year.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Oh yes, yeeeeeeeeees. Those step back threes were good for the soul lmao.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think Barnes will develop into a nice all around player, but players with strong weaknesses have a tougher path to develop.

But you never know, there have been some NBA greats who turned weaknesses into strengths.

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

I’m loving the FreeDawkins videos. They show the highs and lows. You get a much more accurate and better feel for how that player performed as opposed to the videos that only show you their best moments. Suggs has a motor on him. I think he made a lot of winning plays defensively, probably more than any of the top 5 picks. His offense needs to be fine tuned a little and he needs to focus on being more of a playmaker, but he’s fearless.

#186 vator, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  7. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Couldn’t agree with this more. It’s an exciting time to be a Rockets fan. Young talent= an immense amount of hope and potential.

Even though we may not be a great team this year, I’ll be tuning in just to watch these young guys develop. Silas also has a grand opportunity to shape and mold this team as he sees fit. He can grow as a coach with HIS guys.

forchette49 likes this.
  8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

And weeeeetttt

Drift Monkey and HP3 like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I disagree I dont think Raps will ever regret taking Barnes.

Suggs is a decent pg but there are so many good pgs now they are a dime a dozen. How many 6'10 forwards are there with ball handling skills, can guard 1-5 and are extremely athletic like Barnes? Dude is legit baby Giannis I take that over a good pg any day. In fact in high school Barnes shot the 3 better than Cade so if Cade can improve so can Barnes with a lot of effort and practice.

I dunno who Ruben Patterson is, but on height alone he isnt an apt comparison to Barnes. Barnes is 6'9/6'10 Patterson is 6'5 lol.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The Kings and Magic have sucked for quite a long time now. Things change though. Look at the nba Finals. Hopefully the Lakers epically flame out and go back to sucking as well soon.

forchette49 likes this.
  11. vator

Rueben Patterson = The self proclaimed "Kobe Stopper"

Not really seeing the comp though tbh

roslolian and saleem like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To me summer league isn’t about the stats but the look and feel.

Suggs looks like he has it for sure. The questions were his shot. 3-6 from Bree is great. 24 points in 22 shots is NOT great. Not sure what to make of the 1 assist given it’s summer league. But again… looks like he has it.

I’m not in love with the shot disparity. Again 22 shots. I think next most on his team was 9. Granted that was Cole Anthony who was 1-9. Again could just be a summer league thing. Certainly though I’d have been more impressed with a 15 point, 9 rebound 7 assist outing where he took fewer shots but again, not putting much stock in it.

it was nice though that while Green took 18 shots, two other rockets took 15 and two other took 10.

Suggs did better getting to the line but 4 ft on 22 shots is meh but not as meh as Greens one on 18 shots. Both need to learn this skill (ask Sengun lol).

roslolian, saleem, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

How do you feel abt him taking 22 shots though?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. vator

2 of those 4 free throws were at the very end of the game with GSW fouling to stop the clock and get the ball back. Suggs and Anthony literally seemed to be refusing to pass to each other because they wanted to stat pad. Not joking

hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was driving so listening to it but the commentators were horrible.

it’s not entirely surprising Anthony would play this way. Suggs not expected though.

saleem likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If I were the coach I'd snap Cole Anthony's neck for getting in Suggs way.

That scrub chucker can sit his ass on the bench, he'll have plenty of time to be the man in China 5 years from now.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah. I had Suggs top 6 tbh I think I'd take Kuminga over him as well. He strikes me as very similar to Marcus Smart.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

19. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Earlier in the summer I looked at Suggs highlights and realized he was really good but at #2 we surely couldnt've pick him there. Green is clearly the better player but I love Suvgs intangibles, Greens intangibles is great as well. If we drafted cade or Mobley I'd be disappointed but Green is the one guy in the top 5 you can't regret taking over Suggs.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

missing you suggs...