1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All you guys hammering on Josh...

He's showing insane potential on both sides of the ball in the second.

[​IMG]

2. csc177

csc177 Member

He's a dog that wont be rattled. Need him. Love him.

burlesk, Corrosion, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  3. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

He strikes me as a bit of a shot jacker, but it's the very first game. He can get his shot off, but needs to look to pass more.

hakeem94 and ickaruto like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'm impressed. he can be a legit 2-way player in the league

5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly what you wanted to see from JC. Showed his strength and weaknesses/areas to improve.

Great defense and effort. Although his stats showed 1 stl, he forced 3 more turnovers. He even had the strength to not get backed down by Mobley.

Also showed his handles and ability to create. Shot creation and shooting are the 2 most important offensive skills in the playoffs.

He can improve on passing/having tunnel vision, as well as his shooting. If his shooting improves, you can expect him to be at least a 6th man type of 3/D+ player.

6. opticon

opticon Member

JC plays D and is not afraid. I am rooting for him.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we are all rooting for him. JC is the X-Factor

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Considering we are probably trying to groom him to be our 6th man, he needs have that shot jacking mentality.

9. smr6

smr6 Member

Really impressed with the defensive flashes and effort he showed there. Hoping he will put his focus on that side of the ball this year and lock in mentally to give that effort whenever he gets the opportunity. That will be his best shot at getting minutes early rather than spending all year with the Vipers. If he can be a high energy defense guy and just take what comes to him on offense rather than trying to force it then I think he will be on a good path to what Stone envisioned for him.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

What Josh Christopher can be: Strong defender, capable scorer when the ball comes to him during the natural flow of the offense, above average rebounder for a SG/SF, shot creator for others. Good role player.

What Josh Christopher should not strive to be: Isolation scorer, frequent use of dribble-drives, looking for shots outside of the flow of the offense

The G-League would be beneficial for him this season.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

one of my favorite rockets....a lot of potential there

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, it's just been 1 summer league game. Give the kid a chance.

13. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

He looks like he has potential to be a Jrue type of player. I'm not saying he will be as good as Jrue, but he can be an elite defender that can distribute the ball

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We have the DD endorsement!!!

15. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Martin would seem to end up being more of that 6th man, though if you mean 6th man in terms of scoring punch then yeah I agree.

What an interesting roster. Unbalanced but there's a good amount of established talent along with raw young talent. Defense will probably falter, but boy...scoring will NOT be a problem it would seem.

don grahamleone, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing I wonder about a guy like Josh Christopher is actually the opposite — if he goes to the G-League, he will be one of the most talented scorers on the team. The temptation for going into iso mode, and being the bailout on offense will be there. Is he better off sticking up here, and taking his lumps in practice and with the 2nd team?

Garuba on the other hand… wouldn’t mind him getting a bunch of reps in the flow of a Rockets style offense.

Edit: To also say… Christopher looked like a rookie, but there was a lot to like. He was a junkyard dog on defense, generated tons of deflections. He was forcing things on offense, got blocked a ton, but also had some pretty special finishes and plays.

He and Green feed off each others’ energy. I know he wasn’t picked because he’s Green’s friend, but there’s something to be said to having that around while we go through a few rough years.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

JC has Dream potential! There I said it!!

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

His role will change a bit on the actual team. He's got the green light right now, big time. Let's let him showcase his game right now, it's only SL.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That’s crazy! This kid has real potential! At 24? I’d take him and develop him . He’s 19.

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Card revoked.

I hope JC can make the starting 5 in a few years that would be awesome. Dream? I must be missing an inside joke.

burlesk likes this.