1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suns re-sign Chris Paul (4 years, $120M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Well, speaking from union member perspective, I work in a different industry that is unionized and but obviously different from the NBA. I wouldn’t be too thrilled about about my Union leadership taking less money than what they can really command. But with the way Chris Paul has been making his money on these contracts is impressive nonetheless.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and this is why cp3 is a better leader and better president of the players

3. StevieCrossover

Glad it turned out great for CP3. Good contract extention at 30 mil a year. Wish him good health to finish off his career and beat out the Super Duper Team Lakers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. HardenVolumeOne

you know an injury is gonna happen with cp3, you just gotta hope its not towards the end of the season

hakeem94 and StevieCrossover like this.
  5. vince

vince Member

CP3 proved he’s worth some serious money. What a rollercoaster ride, to go from NBA overpriced bum treatment, (literally Rockets had to include a plethora of draft picks to get OKC to take him) to a 120 million dollar contract.

Major props to CP3….

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Because he took the money?

Man I'd take 400M in cash over a ring too doesnt mean I'm great leader lol. It's just preference, ans it's up to the players to decide what they want. These players are grown ass men when they hit FA can you tell me an instance a player got inspired by Cp3's decision to get paid the max amount he can be paid?

Olynk chose money thats why he is in Detroit, Kent Bazemore chose winning thats why he is in LA. How much they took into account Cp3's decision to take that max deal: none.

7. HardenVolumeOne

yep ask dennis schroeder, victor oladipo and montrez harrell what happens when you dont take the bag when its offered.. looking like those guys i just named should fire their agents right now

vince and hakeem94 like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Really? Since when did union members interfere with other people's business careers? So you ask the union president to just be moved to other parts of the country if it means higher pay? Work all the night shift differential and max amount of overtime he can charge otherwise he is letting everyone in the union down? You audit all his leaves, medical benefits and make sure in his own performance evaluation he demands the highest possible grade so he gets the most salary increase? I havent been in a union but the union in our company doesnt have crazy demands for their president. The president's job is to ensure benefits for all members of the union and represent members in negotiations. I've never heard of a mandate he should be a money grubbing grinch and should nickle and dime the company for every cent otherwise the members would be angry with him.

I mean it sounds dumb tbh. Its not like Cp3 would be taking less out of the goodness of his heart, it would have been for greater chance to win a ring. I didnt see anybody rioting when Fisher took that vet min.

Members of the NBA union rioted when Fisher allowed less money for NBA players during CBA. They didnt give a **** when he himself signed for veteran minimum.

#48 roslolian, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what? Players wanting to take the bag when its offered doesnt mean they will be angry when their president decides he has made enough money and will take less to win more.

Most of them wont give a **** there is a finite amount of capspace in the NBA when somebody takes less somebody else gets more.

Cp3 as a president mostly plays a role in CBA time. During the CBA bus job is to ensure they get the largest slice of the pie. How much Cp3 himself makes nobody gives a ****. Jordan made less yearly salary than Pippen for most of their careers except for last 2 years in Chicago. Nobody gave a ****.

#49 roslolian, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. vator

vator Contributing Member

So he gave up a 1 year at 44 million for a minimum of 2 years at 75 or 3 years at 90 million. Nice

ilias and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  12. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Trust me, I am very familiar with the CBA negotiating process and what that entails...

13. HardenVolumeOne

bro im agreeing with you that it was smart of cp3 to take the money, i was critisizing those 3 guys for not accepting extensions when it was offered

roslolian likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Get injured in the playoffs again, have surgery, sign big contract at 63 years of age. Nice.

hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Looks like Cp3 took a paycut annually to me, he chose a longer term contract that = less taxes over 4 years over one large salary.

If he actually plays 70 or 80% of the games for the next 4 years I'll be darned. I doubt he'll be that durable but if anywhere you want to be healthy, playing and past your prime it's in Pheonix, Grant and Nash both agree. ;)

16. Major

Major Member

It's funny we've gotten to the point that we think players are stupid for not taking paycuts to latch on to superteams to get rings. And that staying with a pretty good non-super-team that a player enjoys is considered just chasing money.

hakeem94 and tmoney1101 like this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

120 million reasons to stay. LA couldn’t offer anything near that. Good for him. Still unbelievable that we got ****ed so hard on a trade because of his contract and now he’s signing a 4 year 120 million dollar deal 2 years later.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I never said Paul is dumb for not taking the bag I just said the player union shouldnt be used as an excuse when he wants money over a ring.

PHX isnt a superteam....not when they'll be paying 40 yr old Cliff Paul 56M or whatever his new salary costs.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Is that you moray? Im a big fan

hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I feel like the Lakers could have done something about this, though. If they could get Westbrook, why couldn't they try for CP3?