1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Off-Topic] How does an Astros fan get back into being a Rockets fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I’m with you OP. I was a diehard Rockets fan, watched all 82 + playoffs every year, but I caught maybe 5 or 6 after the Westbrook trade and didn’t even bother throwing on the G7 win against OKC in last years bubble. Then this year I watched 1 game, which ended up being the first of their massive losing streak, and didn’t go back. Astros have taken all my interest recently, but the draft has me pumped and I’m very intrigued to see what next years team looks like.

Theking, TWS1986 and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only hope is that the current last two years rockets was like Drayton chasing it before Crane (tejada trade, etc) and eventually bottoming out.

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

This.

4. conquistador#11

You say that in retrospect but the 100 loss seasons were excruciating. The biggest moments in the threads were "Insurance vs assurance " runs, which one is correct? Assurance for sure.
    The Rockets had their franchise player. A player, that a lot of posters consider was on par with Dream, just flat out quit 9 games into the season and traded days after. I'd never seen anything like that. The rebuild started then.
    Since Jan 12th:
    They have a no.2 pick, 23rd, 24th, KP who was 20 yrs during the season and averaged 17/8 as a starter. That's not including the Brooklyn picks that will be valuable once the nets get bounced again next year and quit on each other.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Some will return. I'm barely able to watch the Astros because they keep throwing propaganda out there sporadically.

I stopped watching Hockey 40 years ago ago. I stopped watching Basketball 15 years ago. I stopped watching football 5 years ago. I even stopped watching Baseball for a couple of years and my return can be lost easily.

The bottom line. More Politics equals less fandom. It's not even about the team record or franchise stupidity anymore. I HATE the politics MORE then I LOVE the SPORTS.

I haven't forgiven Cassius Clay for it and that was fifty years ago.

#25 Marshall Bryant, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

What have they done politically that rubs you the wrong way?

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I won't go through the litany, but any honest observer will know. One problem is that some deny that Politics is Politics if they agree with the Politics.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

Sports should stay out of politics but politicians can demand a boxer to go to a war.
    That's not consistency.

TWS1986 likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just don't bother. Every year it seems somebody new comes out of the woodwork here, starts becoming active, starts showing their true colors, and then all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately they just can't "talk baseball"... wink wink.

Bregatron, TWS1986 and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. Theking

Theking Member

Rockets need strippers at half time.. only thing that could get me watching again.. chica locas could help!

That and boot this DD weirdo from Clutchfans

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I didn't watch too much Rockets this season, but KPJ's defense (lack thereof) overshadowed his offense when I tried. For NBA draft, BPA is the best strategy. Though if KPJ is seen as a core piece going forward, that might cause me to lean more towards Mobley with No. 2 (hoping for Green or trade up) as their will be plenty of block shot opportunities for Rockets big men.

Opinion on Wood is much higher than KPJ despite not being great on defense either. His shooting seems to really open up the floor for the wings.

Caveat: My opinions on NBA matters should be disregarded based on small sample size.

#31 Joe Joe, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasars, unto GOD that which is GOD's and unto SPORT that which is SPORT's.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So what you are saying is that one shouldn't be making political posts in this subforum when D&D is just a few clicks away.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's tricky to comment on why Sports is losing fans because of politics without discussing the politics. I have sought to keep them separate, but I should be admonished when I fail.

15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Ehehehegehehege

16. Buck Turgidson

The only thing I render is the fat when I'm cooking meat.

Sorry, Joe, can't help with your quandary since I'm in pretty much the exact same boat. Totally lost interest in the Rox with the Westbrook deal but I'm planning on watching more games this year to see how the youngsters are doing.

TWS1986, The Beard, vince and 2 others like this.
  17. vince

vince Member

What helps me is that I see the NBA more like the WWE. I know that the athletes are incredibly gifted and talented. But the referees are like ring masters, how they affect the matchups and the eventual outcomes. And though not as scripted as the WWE, as close to scripted as can get to be seen like a legitimate competitive event. Basketball is about fabrication of a story line novela…. That’s why they focus on personalities instead of the product.

I’m a big basketball fan, but I refuse to be duped. I watch for the spectacle, not for titles.

Morey hiring the independent firm to judge the foul calls, showed that the Warriors “the poster team for the NBA at the time” got favorable calls overwhelmingly. The NBA is about a show, a prescription matchup of teams that the viewing audience wants to watch.

I get why baseball has a series, because so little separates the elite and bad teams, a game of inches. Look at the standings in baseball, and most teams hoover at .500, and your elite teams might carry a .600-.650 winning percentage. And a lot of that is due to lingering injuries that happen via the baseball season. Baseball is a rigorous effort of last team standing, and why a series is so crucial for MLB. And the big factor is that a team has five starting pitchers, that determines the outcome of each and every series throughout the season.

But in basketball where your elite team are .800 winning percentages, there is no need for a series. Elite Teams constantly win 60-67 games a season. For me the NBA series in the playoffs is a sham.

The NCAA basketball and NFL do it right, they know basketball does not need a series to find a champion team.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The only thing I like about Tilman is Vic and Anthony’s

19. The Beard

For someone that hates professional sports, you sure post a lot here

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. The Beard

Here is the truth about the Rockets rebuild, listed by importance

1. KPJ, how does he develop, from a personable standpoint much more than basketball. He can be a superstar physically…but as his career path was heading before coming here, could be a zero.

2. The #2 pick. I won’t pretend I watched enough CBB or G League to know who we should take, but obviously it needs to turn into a stud

I like our potential “complementary pieces “ in young guys like Wood, Tate, Martin…etc

If KPJ and the #2 pick are studs, we will be back sooner than most think.

If either don’t work out, it will be a while

If both stink….think 2013 Astros for a long time

BHannes2BHonest likes this.