1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Passage] It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

try towing a camper to Montana with an electric vehicle

100_3421.JPG.jpeg

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you referring to the lack of current infrastructure for charging stations or the torque required for hailing because electric motors provide far more instantaneous torque than ICE vehicles.

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Counter-point: why does anyone "need a reason" for owning a truck? When did people get so obsessed with what other people are doing that doesn't affect them?

(obviously not directed at you)

SuraGotMadHops and JumpMan like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

exactly

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've already provided that. Only 13% of Americans work blue collar jobs (jobs that might require the hauling capability and storage capacity of a truck) and even there many Blue Collar jobs don't require a truck.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...lly-reached-blue-collar-workers-will-it-last/
    "Only 13.9 percent of workers are employed in blue-collar professions, vs, 15 percent in government and 71.1 percent in the service sector. "

Having a job and being able to earn a living is a "need" owning a boat and a camper is a "want".

Even if we were to accept that owning a boat and a camper is a need only 10% of Americans own a boat.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Per...hUKEwjpu4LC2e_xAhVMBs0KHQQaA5oQ4dUDCA4&uact=5
    "There are a total of 17 million recreational boats—13 million registered plus 4 million unregistered—currently in use in the United States. One in ten U.S. households owns a boat. In 2009, 75 million adults—or 32 percent of all adults—went boating."

Even less own a camper
    https://www.rvia.org/media-resources

7. fchowd0311

I'm assuming that some personal decisions have effects that don't exist in a vacuum that might effect others. Hence why some people might care about others personal decisions.

8. London'sBurning

The person you're quoting started this topic in the first place. Not even the liberals that do create topics on this forum. It's manufactured division just to show off truck photo ops.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. London'sBurning

continued...

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As noted already driving larger and heavier vehicles actually does affect everyone else. They do more wear and tear on the road. They use more resources and in collisions with other vehicles do more damage.

Also this is D&D. When has anything stopped anyone here from criticizing other people for any number of reasons.

Nook, London'sBurning and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good point. I had forgotten that in the original piece posted by the OP already states why most people don't need pick up trucks.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. London'sBurning

This topic is a good example of Os trolling. He starts a topic, says discuss. People actually engage in good faith. Os shows off truck photos refuting the topic HE created and then people want to go around blaming others for what exactly? It's a magician sleight of hand from a silenced libertarian living quite well it seems in New York state. Libertarian boomer humor man. It's so meta.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. fchowd0311

Maybe this isn't the case with more intellectual educated libertarians, but it seems like the base libertarian mindset has a very child like view of what constitutes "individual rights". They make the child like assumption that all personal decisions and their effects are made in a vacuum.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yes, I saw that. From a website I had never heard of. Using a stranger's opinion to paint one party as holding this opinion, like both sides do with twitter when they pull out individual tweets and say "the left/right wants this."

I would've ignored this thread if that was the case but then I saw multiple people arguing "wellllll people shouldn't be driving them unless work requires" and that is just a take insane enough to get me to hit "post reply" instead of ignoring and moving on.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I wish you made sense, I really do

18. London'sBurning

I guess my first inclination would be to see if the OP is genuine and takes a stance like the one you described and then see if that OP has some realm of influence that could literally change how truck ownership works in the future at even just a local level. Instead it's from a troll trying to paint a broad picture of liberals that they want to take away your truck ownership citing a fringe blog no one would even know existed had the troll not linked it and created a new thread. Some engaged the merits of necessity based truck ownership over simply wanting and having the ability to own a truck thinking the topic started by a troll was being done in good faith. It's manufactured division.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. London'sBurning

I just wish you took a stance on what you link and were consistently thoughtful in what you posted even knowing I might 100% disagree with you on some topics. You're a legitimately good poster sometimes. You being cryptic and me failing to understand you is not my fault. Do we fault readers who fail to understand the motive of fictional character's created by an author? Or do we blame the author for failing to clearly communicate a fictional character's motives and intentions? Some authors deliberately make it hard to understand a character's motives for other reasons beyond just narrative structure like trying to convey to the reader that the character itself may not even understand their own motivations. Are you personally confused over the topics you create? I doubt that. So that's not what you're doing. You're just trolling.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think I do a pretty good job with people who aren't insulting
    don't think I actually said that.

For the record, I disagree with the article from Passage 100%. I was enjoying reading peoples' comments; I participated when I thought @rocketsjudoka made an inaccurate statement.

then the "discussion" takes kind of a weird turn, including putting words in peoples' mouths and editorializing about the OP's motives