1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Indians

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 1, 2021.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

And those people would be objectively wrong. When you have maintained a team as competitive as they have over multiple periods, with different managers, completely different sets of core players, it’s hard to argue that they are run poorly.

The point is, they are gonna hang around. We need to earn it.

jiggyfly and Rock Block like this.
  2. STR8Thugg

Or they could hit a stride in the second half and blow up your version of projections. Obviously it’s sports, so anything can happen. I’m so tired of clowns on here acting like the division is a guarantee. Just stop saying stupid jinx ****. The athletics are a good team. They do worry me. I’m not losing sleep over it, but treating them like the 2005 tigers is ridiculous.

3. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

IIRC Reddick and McCann didn’t like it or use it. They didn’t stop it but didn’t want anything to do with it

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Right. Beyond the normal comfort of being at home I take it to mean they had a extra comfortability at the plate. Didn’t translate it to anything statistical but probably why they kept going with it. Also I’m not sure how aware they were of their home/road splits as the season went on.

5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It’s not my “version of projections”. I cited a series of actual facts that correlate to future success. You can stick with superstition and “jinxes,” but that makes you the clown here, not me.

6. STR8Thugg

How exactly do those actual facts “correlate”? So the only way they continue to win games at the current pace is by “getting lucky”?

The Athletics are certainly an annoying, b**** of a team, but my lord how freaking dense does one have to be to think they are just “getting lucky.” I suppose that’s why actual games are played instead of just reading through advanced statistics.

Anyway, hopefully we continue to prove we are the superior team the next 3 games. I think we can at least agree on that.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Theking

Theking Member

Oh man, he just called you a clown. Get the strap STR8Thug!

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Run differential correlates to future win projections. Ease of schedule correlates to figure win projections.

Of course they could continue to perform above what the combination of those would predict - it is probabilistic and not deterministic. If you choose to ignore math, that is fine, but it doesn’t change anything any more than my mentioning it “jinxes” the team.

But pretending the trends don’t exist, falling back on the tired trope that “see, the results haven’t followed the statistical probability so the statistics are stoopid,” and then saying I am a “clown” or “dense” for bringing it up and “jinxing” them is STR8Idiotic. Luckily there is an ignore function for people who stoop to personal insults (twice).

I will be watching the games this week just like I have watched every game this year. I hope and believe we will win at least two. And I know for a ******* fact that whether we do or not will not be proof of which team is better.

#909 cmlmel77, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    RunninRaven likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That was fun! Just needed to recalibrate after sleeping on the Os. Really would like to see the guys lock in with intent vs the As - message sending time!

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, they have already won 7 out of 10 against them… and if you include the ambush in the playoffs last year, that’s a fairly good stretch of message-sending games.

12. STR8Thugg

Yeah the problem with your logic is simple. If the Athletics run differential stayed relatively constant, then sure the numbers would figure to even out. It's your assumption that they will finish the season with an unimpressive run differential.

I am not choosing to ignore math, I am simply choosing not to make blanket assumptions based on the first half of the season. I have watched enough baseball to know it's not as simple as that.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I agree but those rodents have also enjoyed a fair share of success this year and even rode a cake schedule to #1 place for a while. It would be nice to remind them who the exterminators are as often as possible.

14. STR8Thugg

I'm all for paternity leave but I don't play DH for the Astros. Is Alvarez back tonight?

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

He's back.

16. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure yall are right. I paid minimal attention to the whole thing at the time and now it's been a few years.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It is somewhat fishy how coincidentally Reddick had by far his best hitting season with a .847 OPS in 2017.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Marwin also.

19. HTXSportsAddict

Marwin used the system according to everything I've read. Reddick supposedly didn't. Reddick had been around an .800 ops his couple years prior to signing with Houston outside of his short stint with the Dodgers. Seems like Reddick just had a career high BABIP year while being in a pretty deep lineup. Then again........who knows?