1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

is it worth it to get a new modem for comcast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Jun 28, 2021.

1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

With only 3 or 4 streams, 300Mbps down is more than enough for your usage. Netflix 4k streams are about 20Mbps each, Apple TV 4k streams are 40Mbps and Amazon Prime UHD streaming maxes out at around 30Mbps. So at most, you're using around 150Mbps at once with 4 streams going. You will not notice any difference with a higher speed modem.

You should downgrade to the 300 or 400Mbps tier and save a few bucks a month.

If you have issues with lag or signal anywhere in the house, getting a better router would be a better choice.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.

3. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

If it's all working just fine, I say don't change a thing if you can afford to. An "upgrade" can make things worse.

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I don't pay for unlimited. But I've almost come close to going over that 1.2 TB mark.

Internet I'm paying $60/month along with the home phone $30/month. I got a package deal from Comcast after I basically called in and said I was going to cancel everything if they didn't give me a better deal. Along with Youtube TV, its all $145/month

The bill was like $250 before that.