1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

That's not how strength of schedules work..

And the NCAA is dominated by guys who can't even make the G League bench. How many NCAA guys play basketball past college? It's a small fraction...

The G League is full of PRO-fessionals, albeit "minor league".

2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I would be mad if we traded the pick for an all star return. I feel this team needs to grow with young talent and see what happens. I really don't know why Cade is only going to 1 team.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Detroit is different, they were terrible drafters in the past. I think their fanbase knows.

It is just another bad PR gig for them.

Being the No 1 pick is a huge status though.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure they would.

The guys who dominate on highest level in college almost never go to the G league at all because they are too good for it. You weren't going to see Zion Williamson or Ja Morant in the G league. Look at your 2019 draft, how many in the top 10 even spent a second in the G league?

None of them. The G league is for scrubs and reclamation projects.

KPJ went there to help get his mind right and get in shape and he absolutely dominated the league because he was WAY too good to be playing in that glorified rec league.

JayGoogle and CriscoKidd like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Considering how many players never play professional ball after the NCAA.... what would one consider that level of competition if G League is for scrubs and reclamation projects?

What's lower than that?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How many players dominate in the NCAA at the highest level and never move on to play professional ball afterwards?

The fact that Wanker State Junior College exists does not mean that the top NCAA programs are the same. I think if you put the G league Ignite team in the NCAA tournament, they probably don't make it to the 8.

7. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Green went to the GLeague because he wanted to get paid for a year and he turned down offers from Auburn, Memphis, Oregon, etc. I'm sure Green would have dominated his one year of college if he had decided to go.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he had gone to the NCAA and dominated over a larger sample of games against better competition then he'd probably have a better argument for being the top pick. He opted to get paid and play in a glorified rec league instead. I can't say I'd have done differently, but it wasn't the best move for his development IMO.

9. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

Who is to say that a pandemic NCAA year was great for a player's development versus G leage

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not only that, the guys that don't go to the Gleague can go right to Europe/overseas as well. So you might have a point about that. Guys that don't get drafted can still make more for an overseas team than the Gleague.

The Gleague has mostly been used for guys to develop and old vets desperate to make it back into the NBA or just simply enjoy playing basketball.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And with all that being said, you advocate drafting Mobley who is 100% guaranteed to spend time in the G-League next season just like most bigs with very little offense to speak of? Interesting take.

Drift Monkey and BossHogg713 like this.
  12. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Lamelo Ball spent the same amount of games in the Australian League which is clearly a lower level pool of talent vs G League, he won ROY.

Playing vs Pros (No matter what tier of players) is a lot diff than 95% of average joe's in college who will be working a 9-5 job in a year or two.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not at all, if Mobley is the pick, he's the day 1 starter next to Wood. Suggesting he has "very little offense to speak of" suggests maybe you haven't watched him very closely. Day 1 he's a better passer than Green and could better run an offense.

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He needs to clean up that diet asap. Cut out all that processed/sugary foods.

Caesar likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll say that.

NCAA teams do more to develop players than the G league and they practice more and play more games even in a pandemic year than they do in the G league.

The G league is a glorified rec league for has been's and never will be's.....I know, I've watched it for years.

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You honestly don't think Mobley's going straight to the G league? Good to know there's no point taking you seriously going forward I guess, it'll save me time.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just like pretty much every year, top 10 picks don't go to the G league.

With Mobley, he's not a finished product.....none of the players in this class are, but he's a day one starter no matter which team picks him, that goes double if the Rockets pick him given that they currently have 1 player over 6'6 on the entire roster.

Honestly thinking he'd go to the G league is flat out absurd.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Let's put aside Wanker State Junior College.....

Take a look at the USC roster..... and compare them to the G League Ignite. The G League Ignite would have dominated the PAC12, it's just laughable.

If Mobley put up similar numbers against stronger, faster competition then he'd be going 1st or a lock at #2. He'd be my pick.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mobley straight to the G-League playing on a 17 win team?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure about that, they couldn't even dominate the G league. In fact, they got beat by 25 in the first round of the G league playoffs after RGV beat them by 23....and neither was even their worst loss on the season.

The hype is really skewing how the G league is perceived IMO.