1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not that Mobley is Milicic but they have to avoid that situation at all cost.

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

There are a bunch of young guys (that we've all never heard of) that score a bunch in the G-League. Even Nik Stauskas and Jeremy Lin are putting up good scoring numbers. Not to mention his shot selection is flaming trash

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Bagley has absolutely no defensive instinct and Bamba has no offensive coordination or touch. Mobley has both of those things. Do you remember how raw Capela was before our coaching staff & Hakeem got ahold of him? If we even saw half of the progress we saw from Clint out of Mobley, he'd be at Capela's level.

Green fans say his willpower to succeed will push him to stardom. What about the Zags kid who just led a team to the title game? If we're going to mention Green's work ethic we have to mention Suggs aswell. What are his glaring red flags? He shot kinda sorta bad from 3? His form is stellar and he shot 34%. He'll be formidable. What other red flags do you see?

The league already has an over abundance of lanky athletic wings, I just don't see the hype for Green. The PG position is getting weaker and weaker every year with all the big name PG's (Lillard/CP3/Curry/Wall/Westbrook/Conley/Lowry etc etc) aging out into their mid 30s. Look at all the garbage starting PG's across the league, Suggs will absolutely be a starter no later than his third year. He's arguably the most NBA ready player in the draft

To summarize, I'd most certainly take the 13ppg/6ast-ish floor general PG or the second coming of Clint over a huge question mark that could just be a 20pts/2rb/2ast Jordan Clarkson/Zach LaVine hybrid. There's enough of those already and we literally already have one in Eric Gordon lmao.

I'm not a hater. If the Rockets pick him I'm rooting for him all the way, I just wouldn't be making that choice if I were in any position to make the call. He's the bustiest of the 3 in my mind

#383 BigggReddd, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

I’ll say it, Jalen Green will be the best player out of this draft class. I’ll put it in my signature to keep me accountable for those claims. I’ll eat the crow if I’m wrong, i don’t mind.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wonder if folks have literally eaten a raven, not ever and esp. not in these times.

D-rock likes this.
  6. bushies

bushies Member

Don't think this means what you think it does

Caesar, D-rock, coachbadlee and 5 others like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Green is O.J. Mayo 2.0

airflights92 likes this.
  9. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Dam. What happened to that guy. Lol

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did pretty well in the G league, not rookie DMo level good, but alright.

If he really was ready to come set the world on fire in the NBA shouldn't he have been capable of outplaying KPJ? Shouldn't he have been able to outplay 2013 Andrew Goudelock?

I'm not saying he's no good, I'm just saying I have doubts about some of the hype surrounding him.

I would reasonably expect Mobley to put up 20/10 if he had played in the G league just like rookie DMo or rookie Terrence Jones did.

We can say it's a higher level than college but no defense is played in the G league whatsoever, they are all star game caliber games.

HTXSportsAddict, BigggReddd and CXbby like this.
  11. Rockets4Life13

If his shot selection is flaming trash and he’s at 61% TS anyway, he must be hella nice.

you don’t think a guy like Jeremy Lin would absolutely destroy college? This is a professional basketball player against ****ing kids.

wake up people, college aint as hard as y’all make it out to be.

#391 Rockets4Life13, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  12. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If you listen to what he said it was also quite a dramatic change of events because of the covid protocols and lack of ability to really socialize. I think people are downplaying it a bit too much. He got steadedly better during the season. That’s all you can ask for and we’ll see if he continues to improve.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Bobby Brown said his nba comp was ja morant, which further confirms to me that Green is closer to 6’3 than 6’5. Dude is tiny

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All of that is fair, and it wasn't even a legit season, I'm just saying there's reason to pump the brakes about the kid a bit.

All of the top guys have a considerable amount of work to do before they'll be where fans want them to be.

For the record, I like Green's attitude and his desire to improve. I think he could develop into a Bradley Beal type...but it's not a guarantee. We've never seen him truly dominate at a level beyond high school. Can he? Probably, but we've never seen it.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But it's only been a year out of high school, we haven't really seen any of the top picks dominate. Suggs Mobley and Green are all not for sure things like a AD or Luka

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

KPj is closer to OJ Mayo than Green. Green is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and great worth ethic. KPj is a consistent **** up and already calling himself the franchise which is setting himself up for another meltdown. He's one more mistake away from likely playing overseas until he matures, yet clutchfans act like he's a lock to be Hardens replacement and drafting based on KPj being the high usg superstar.

Mobleys a good kid too and obviously very book smart, but something about him screams "Lakers or not interested in basketball," which means he will play well enough for a big contract and then demand a trade to LA eventually. I know anyone can leave the team that drafted them now if they're not a big flashy market, but Mobley gives me high bail for LA vibes.

Suggs is a good leader. I like him althoguh he's the least exciting. So all 3 of our potential picks are the furthest away from Mayo while the guy currently on our roster is highly likely the next OJ Mayo.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Green seems to be a very dedicated student of the game. He doesn't have that Jordan/Kobe type of aggressive dickish leadership trait. More similar to Kawhi in that he's just extremely dedicated to his craft but not extremely vocal and demanding of his teammates though at 19 that can easily change. I'm fine with that. It seems more safe than Mobley who seems to think of basketball more as a proffesion than a passion.

Green is the obvious choice to me. I can see him reaching Devin Booker level and that's good enough for me.

IvanLCPM, Rocketeer, PatBev and 3 others like this.
  18. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Everyone is forgetting about the money aspect for Tilman. Jalen Green is going to bring excitement with his athleticism. All Ferntits cares about is $$. I would be shocked if we don't pick JG.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

To add another point is Silas is a guard whisperer…yeah he’s worked with KP in Dallas but it was more about his relationship with luka.

From

Curry
    Kemba
    Luka

I think Silas would like the idea to work with green and form a back court of KPJ/JG

everyday eddie, D-rock and csc177 like this.
  20. csc177

csc177 Member

Wow he definitely said he has Morant’s athleticism and explosiveness. Lol…Talk about cherry picking and running with a narrative