1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

USMNT 2020/21

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Nov 12, 2020.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What did Gooch apologize for? What did he say?

DD

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All that USA/Mexico hate just bubbled up, and he forgot where he was.

4. Aware

Aware Member

he gone

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think he will be okay. I don't think anyone even noticed it until he apologized. I'm not sure the woman he talked to was offended since she as a former player understands the rivalry.

I assume It was the other woman Host who went through domestic abuse that probably caught it and asked him to apologize.

Aware likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm going to have to have some second thoughts on ever going to a USA v Mexico game. I would probably get arrested if they were throwing crap on the field around me or next to me. Cheer all ya want but you're in F*cking America stop throwing sh*t at that countries' players.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I went to two different Gold Cup finals at the Rose Bowl, and they were amazing experiences. That said, I guarantee it would have been a different experience had the US won as both times it looked like the US was looking good and ended up losing. While the US was ahead, already out of control Mexican fans went even more crazy and pushing way beyond acceptable limits.

peleincubus likes this.
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was vintage USA/Mexico in all ways good and bad. I really like the makeup of this USMNT; they've got some serious attitude that the last few years have lacked.

El Tri was El Tri. Disgusting behavior by players and fans.

Uprising, Buck Turgidson and DaDakota like this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What a game! Can't really speak to anyone's play because I was literally watching it on a phone on the back of a tailgate after my own soccer game last night. Was kinda hard to make out who was who and what was what.

Still...always awesome to beat mexico...whether it be a friendly or a meaningful game. And yes, "meaningful" is loosely used here as the Nations League tourney is just silly and pointless. Likely we'll be doing this again soon at some point in the Gold Cup. But it was awesome to see this play out in a "tourney" final, going to extras. What was not awesome is the typical classless bulls*** from idiot mexico fans. Shame swoly isn't here anymore to give us his typical dumbass defense of morons. It was always enjoyable to rub the many Dos a Ceros in his face.

I agree with @dumbartonbass that this USMNT has an attitude that's been missing since pre-2010. This is a team full of real talent and isn't going to be the type to pack it in, play the counter and just try to be more fit than everyone else. They're going to be creative on and off the ball and show why so many of these guys are playing on the best teams in Europe. They're also not going to take any s*** from the typical flopping and dirty mexico players. As much as opposing teams want to think this is Pulisic and a collection of others, it's not. This is a team that can come at you from different areas. I would like to see something better in the center of defense. Brooks is the best one of the bunch but he's a card waiting to happen. I was surprised Cameron Carter-Vickers didn't get a look as he had a good season with Bournemouth.

And how awesome does Ethan Horvath feel today? The situation that put him in that spot sucks as I really hope Steffen didn't pop his ACL. A few amazing saves and then that PK save what the thing legends are made of.

10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

They've got more juice than any team I've seen since 2010. I don't think it's a coincidence that the USMNT started to wane when key players gave up on Europe and returned to MLS earlier than necessary for big paychecks.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. DaDakota

And let's hope Steffen's injury is minor.

DD

Uprising likes this.
  12. leroy

You can absolutely trace the 2018 debacle to Bradley's and Altidore's decisions to leave Europe early while they were still in their prime. Both of their games took a massive step backwards shortly after coming back. I get that they wanted to get paid and I can't blame them for that. Not that they're the only 2 to blame but they were key pieces who's game took a nose dive after chasing the paycheck.

mtbrays and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. DaDakota

Nah, Mexico is proof that you can be successful with most players playing in a national league.

We were just not committed enough, too soft in 2018.

DD

14. Aware

Aware Member

the failure of the last cycle for the usmnt was simply because the old guard got old and there was no adequate replacements. still, that team should have been good enough to qualify from concacaf but **** happens. every team in concacaf can give you a scare at home.

15. leroy

The mexican league is still superior to the MLS. The gap is closing but it's still there and was even more pronounced in the time frame we're talking about. There's no way you can objectively say that a mostly MLS based national team is in that game last night. Maybe with heart and hustle they keep it close and play a game similar to what the history of the rivalry has looked like but then, in the end, they lose.

16. Buck Turgidson

The one I went to in Houston was interesting, to say the least.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I bet. The nerve to be throwing things at players when they are playing in their own said country. They need to just arrest a 100+ people to set a precedent. End that sh*t once and for all.

Uprising likes this.
  18. mtbrays

Supporting Member

+1 to what @leroy said. Bradley, Altidore and Jermaine Jones followed Dempsey's lead and returned to MLS after Brazil 2014. While you're right that a country can see moderate success with a team full of domestic leaguers (and should in CONCACAF), the post-2014 team was complacent above all else. All of those guys returning to MLS, where they were top dogs among talent and coaching inferior to what they had in Europe, created a sense of entitlement in 2018 qualifying.

Jürgen Klinsmann was a lot of things, but he was right that USMNT players need to do whatever they can to play in Europe during their primes.

leroy likes this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

Showing signs of life. There seems to be a spark with this group.