1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Olympics Go Ahead?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Charlie-99, May 28, 2021.

1. Charlie-99

Charlie-99 Member

What are everyone's thoughts on the Olympics going ahead this year?

Japan are currently going through a fourth wave of covid and there's a lot of opposition to the hosting of the games in Tokyo this summer.

The International Olympic Committee have said that cancelling the games is 'off the table' - Tokyo Olympics.
    It's a tough call either way.

What do you think?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

The fans will come and go, and we'll never really know how it spread inside of Japan, or likely outside of it either. Think they will fill the stands. There is so little to do, people will show. And I will watch.

The athletes will likely do the same, show, but for what I ask. It's entertainment we don't need as people. And the athlete will walk away with a sense of accomplishment that cannot be replaced, but likely no glory. Only one or two athletes will walk away with glory. They will likely all live. But people we never knew will die.

As far as Japan, they've already lost billions. They can't get it back. It will ease some pain, and we will watch it, it will come across as an entertainment success, but it's going to be financial blow to some degree. To that, I say, Japan will likely not even blink or feel it.

All in all I wouldn't do it, but the reality is it will happen, and it will be fine, and while people will die, the world will hardly notice or care in the end.

As far as the effect on the USA, it won't matter. Whatever is happening in Japan or India is our future, and it's inescapable Olympics or not. That will be us in two months.

Charlie-99 likes this.
  3. VanityHalfBlack

Heck yeah, I'm ready for the Summer Games.

ico4498 and Charlie-99 like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it should go ahead especially if athletes and staff can be vaccinated as part of the process. So many of them only get one Olympic cycle to perform and further delays will only jeopardize their careers more. Japan's current vaccination trend is abysmal so I understand why the broader public is reluctant to host the games.

Charlie-99 likes this.
  5. Charlie-99

Charlie-99 Member

Judging by the outfit in your avatar, I take it you are in the gymnastics category??

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  6. Charlie-99

Charlie-99 Member

True - at that elite level it can be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I imagine most of them have been vaccinated already??

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would imagine that many from first-world countries have been, but an effort should be made to vaccinate everyone traveling to Tokyo to participate in the games if their home countries are unable to vaccinate them beforehand.

Charlie-99 likes this.