1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Magic 4/18/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Porter's 3 ball looks better of late. Maybe he's been on some leg day **** in the weight room, first two weeks he was here I was starting to feel sorry for the front of the rim. Olynyk is in the right place at the right time, he's playing the best basketball of his career. Maybe he actually resigns here if no one gives him a 15 million dollar offer, which they might because he's killing it. The fit between Tate-Olynyk-Wood is stellar on offense. Like real nice. There's a lot of variability for a point with 2 bigs who can run pick games for you, 2 bigs who can step out and knock down 3s, move the ball and the bonus of being able to drop it down to Tate to manhandle guards on the block. Defensively they are trying to lose games so idk maybe there isn't much to take from it but other than Tate being the energizer bunny and the KJ Martian phenomenon there really isn't much to speak about. I've noticed Wood tries to block righties going to their right with HIS right (across his body) like he doesn't have a left arm/hand and it's aggravating the fk outta me.

Armoni Brooks just took Gordon's roster spot as far as I'm concerned. I know this question is in a vacuum and probably has good answers but I'm just going to pretend like it doesn't..... why in the hell was it so hard to find young, talented players for the last 8 years?

2. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Because Gene Peterson said so.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Me: hhhhhmmmm Rockets wins
    Espn: John Wall - DNP
    Me: That checks out. That makes sense.

Rocket River

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Every year Morey had this obsession with surrounding Harden with washed up "undervalued" vets because "the window was closing". He traded draft picks like bitcoin and didn't ever seem to do any solid amateur scouting. I really like Morey buy that was a fatal flaw.

saleem, don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well he did find Pat Bev in Russia. And, we had a young shooter in the Portland series whose name escapes me, and Daniel House.......

DD

7. napalm06

Troy Daniels? Yeah he'd find random borderline undrafted gems and that's a plus. But for every one of those there was a Dorsey or a Dekker or a Chinanu, or a Flynn, Robinson or Lawson, or a David Andersen or Papanikolaou. He didn't use the draft or G League as much as he could because he fixated on reclamation projects.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well yeah, but we were chasing a title then, now we are not, we are chasing being relevant again.

DD

Le$$ likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Missed the game? Win we did!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

There are some flashes of entertaining basketball

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I guess that's part of it at least. There was D'antoni's (or whoever's, he's the coach he gets the point) ridiculous iron clenched fist of a rotation too. How Danuel House and Clint Capela managed to break their way up through the ranks is almost unfathomable. I mean they basically told Danuel House thanks for being the 2nd best part of the team this season, 3 years/9million when we can totally do it? **** YOU GO BACK TO RIO GRANDE AND THINK ABOUT IT FOR 3 MONTHS. And then paid him the contract he asked for right?? lol...

It's just a bizarre attitude towards youth. Are all these guys just on the chopping block the second a veteran shows up? Or can like, developing a promising young talent be an expectation again?

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Wendell Carter, Mo Bamba, Johnathan Isaac, Okeke. Interesting mix of players. Some were believed to have high ceilings as preps. Isaac is the one I wish would stay healthy. I think he could be a real player. Carter looked really good for a stretch last night.

13. napalm06

Adelman and JVG were hardly young talent scouts themselves (Brad Miller and Jared Jeffries anyone?) I feel like this organization has been starved for prospects for 20 years solid outside of Yao and Francis... 20 years ago.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

hasn't been playing but still got to visit the strip club when in FL

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We don't need to bring the legend into this.

This is definitely a sweet time to tank, as John Wall Tank Commander will lead us to the promise land.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  16. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I just say it because he said it when the Rockets won. He is why I still listen to each game on the radio.

You are spot on about John Wall.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Brooks, Lowry, Landry, Parsons it hasn't been a list of HOFers but there have been a few good young players here before D'antoni arrived and took a wrench to it. I'm having a laugh at myself now realizing I'm doing the Patrick Fertita thing about having a mix of young and veteran players. Like, you're telling me Dantoni wouldn't have played KJ Martin? Maybe not even Tate? Well Dantoni and his zero championships can get fired then. It's not so much about those two players it's about a flagrantly terrible mindset from the coach. He couldn't find a spot for an athlete like Martin? Well then he's really just a shitty coach who let his players get away with stupid gimmick offenses that made noise but never won.

!!!!

Oh wait that's exactly what he is.