1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Bobby Marks--Rajon Rando: ‘He Has Been Horsesh***'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

‘He Has Been Horsesh***’
    By Sean Deveney

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:52pm
    [​IMG]

GettyRajon Rondo, right, the newest Clipper.

Not everyone is a fan of the trade the Clippers made last week with the Atlanta Hawks on the day of the trade deadline, dealing away guard Lou Williams for veteran point guard Rajon Rondo.

In fact, former Nets executive Bobby Marks, now working for ESPN, was about as blunt as possible when it came to how Rondo has played thus far this season.

“Let’s face it, and I’m gonna use the PG-13 version of this,” Marks said. “Rondo has been horses*** this year. I mean, he has.”

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM2k5SHBw1n/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That is not far from the truth, no matter how much you might be inclined to defend the 35-year-old veteran point guard. Rondo has not been totally healthy and when he has, he’s averaged just 14.9 minutes in 21 games, putting up a measly 3.9 points and 3.5 assists. What’s worse, he is signed in 2021-22 for $7.5 million, so the Clippers’ commitment to him likely will go on past this season.

Of course, nothing is ever simple when it comes to Rondo, and his numbers alone don’t measure his impact. The Clippers did not really want him for the 3.9 points a night he provides, but rather for his ability to run the offense and take ballhandling pressure off Paul George and Kawhi Leonard—and for his well-known ability to up his game in the playoffs. As paltry as his numbers were, the fact that Atlanta was 16-11 when Rondo played and 7-12 when he did not says something about his impact on winning.

“If you get the regular-season version of Rajon Rondo, this trade is a complete disaster,” Marks said. “I’m not going to sugarcoat it right now. What the Clippers are banking on is that they will get Playoff Version of Rajon Rondo. Because as I said before, he has been terrible this year.”

Another Ex-NBA Exec Rips Clippers Trade: ‘I Don’t Understand’
    Many agreed with Marks. Among them was former Memphis Grizzlies executive John Hollinger, who now writes for The Athletic.

Hollinger originally panned the deal, saying, “I don’t understand the Clippers’ interest in Rajon Rondo, especially at the cost of a pretty good player in Lou Williams, and I’m amazed that Atlanta was able to blast itself out of the deal while actually receiving assets in return,” and also added, “Wow, does this feel like a reach.”

(At least former Clipper Jamal Crawford approved:)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I like the Rondo trade for the Clippers.. Would like it more if Lou was still with the Clippers ‍♂️</p>&mdash; Jamal Crawford (@JCrossover) <a href="">March 25, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But on Monday, Hollinger had a different tack with the Clippers, finding some financial silver lining for the L.A. front office in the Rondo gamble. That comes in the form of a potential trade for a veteran at this year’s NBA Draft.

“Along with the [Clippers’ 2021 first-round] pick,” Hollinger wrote, “Rondo can be traded alone for up to $10.3 million in returning salary, or combined with other minimums (Daniel Oturu or Terance Mann, for example) to bring back a player with a salary in the mid-teens. That acquisition, in turn, could allow the Clippers to restock and make another run next year.”

Rondo & Clippers’ 2021 First-Rounder Could Make a Strong Trade Package
    The Clippers will, in fact, hold their own first-round pick in this draft, putting it in rare company. In three of the five drafts after this one, the Clippers are slated to have no first-round pick at all and are subject to pick swaps by Oklahoma City in the other two (2023 and 2025). That does not mean the Clippers actually will use their pick in July. As Hollinger notes, it would make a very good enticement to a trade for the Clippers.

Certainly, the Clippers can upgrade their bench with those tools—for, say, Larry Nance Jr. of the Cavaliers ($10.7 million salary next season), Chicago’s Tomas Satoransky ($10 million) or Memphis’ Kyle Anderson ($9.9 million). The Clippers would not even have to include the ever-burgeoning Mann in that case.

If they did include Mann, they could come away with a top sixth man like Terrence Ross of Orlando (owed $12.5 million next season) or Denver’s Will Barton ($14.8 million). That would be a solid replacement for Williams, though the Clippers would once again have a point-guard problem.

That could start the whole cycle over again—another short-term fix at the point, followed by a bashing of the deal by former NBA executives.

Ex-NBA Exec Rips New Clipper Rondo: ‘He Has Been Horsesh***’ | Heavy.com

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's 35....

Why **** on a multi-time all-star and NBA champion just because he's getting old? Not everyone can be LeBron or Malone, 15 season career is a hell of an accomplishment.

Jontro, Patience and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's nothing wrong with what he said because it's true. he specifically said this year, which again is absolutely true

4. xaos

xaos Member

I haven't watched one game of Rondo this year, but I'm assuming they got him for Playoff Rondo

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Clippers aren't winning in the playoffs with Lou Williams. The Rockets found that out as well and got him out of town.

Rondo at least is a good ball handler and their is a 50% chance he will be motivated to defend and play in the playoffs.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I swear I have seen this article for about the last 5 years and Rondo all ways has a great playoffs.

hakeem94, Nook and MC31B like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, even since he left Boston the narrative is constantly that he is washed up and he ends up doing well in a key playoff series. A lot of this is that he rubs some people the wrong way so people have strong opinions about him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Playoff Rondo for Playoff Lou-
    Looks like the Clippers won that trade-

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if he is also being judged on that one playoff series with the Mavs where he did not care.

Patience likes this.
  10. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I don't see why they wouldn't do it. I figured they'd sign him in the offseason instead of having to trade for him.

Doesn't hurt them to bad to lose lou will though ... He's great when he has the usage rate (like that first year he was with them), but pretty lackluster when he doesn't (since kawhi and pg got there).

If rondo resembles something close to "playoff rondo" like last year, the clips get better for sure. Rondo is pretty much the only thing they lacked on their team: a proven pass-first playmaker who doesn't take a lot of shots but can hit the open jumper enough to keep defenses honest. If the clippers lose this year, there really won't be anyone else to blame but their stars' (most likely pg).

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

That response seems a little extreme, especially coming from a guy like Bobby. Rondo was fantastic in last years playoffs while Lou has notoriously been horseshit in the playoffs. Rondo gives them a true floor general, something they've been lacking. With the Lakers struggling with injury for the foreseeable future and Denver having a down year, I think this is the best shot the Clippers will have with this core. I don't see the big deal here.

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah, Rondo destroyed the Rockets in the playoffs last year. I think it could have actually been a close series, but playoff Rondo put the Lakers over the top.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Playoff Rondo 2020 destroyed the Rockets. Playoff Rondo 2015 was destroyed by the Rockets. Life is weird man.

Patience likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My 2nd favorite CP3 moment was when he smacked up Rondo for spitting. NBA is running out of guys that will keep it real versus the Bowens, Draymonds and Rondos. Anyways, carry on.