1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Yes! I think Okongwu would be a perfect fit along side Wood. Hes Bam lite. Reddish has good size and upside. Everyone else included is fine

joshuaao, RudyTBag and Nook like this.
  2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you swap out Augustin for Exum and save a year of salary commitments (lines up better with Dunn too)?

Okongwu is an interesting sweetener to absorb Bogdanovic' contract. He's an interesting enough player, just expensive.

If I'm the Rockets though, I'd be building for the year that Wall expires. Bogdan goes one year past that, as does Eric Gordon. His game should age fine, but that's a bit of a tough commitment.

mikol13 likes this.
  3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

#1583 Furious Jam, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    cmoak1982, CVcrew, Dacamel and 6 others like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm thinking too of how many meh picks do you want in one season. I think about the draft where we took Lamb, Royce White, and TJones in the same draft, and I think a 2nd rounder too. If you look at it back then and said that if we gave up the worst first rounder (Jones) to trade for Taj Gibson that year, would that have hurt or helped. Taj Gibson at the time might be about where you'd currently project AGordon possibly? Maybe he's even higher in upside still, but you get the point.

I'm 100% on board with Stone engaged in as many of these scenarios as he can though. Just try as many avenues as you can to maximize assets, and getting good young players in trades on great contracts is a good thing.

My other concern though too is that he becomes another Oladipo, and wants out this Summer. He might look on paper like a young players to us, but he could be closer to a veteran who wants to win then we think. Taking in players that aren't comfortable losing 20 in a row is something I'm very cautious of. You bring in someone like Gordon, and you want him to play well, we might want to think about having a few more Scola's on this team to make us more competent on the court cause right now, I'm very leery of brining anyone in that has any preconceived notions of being a competitive basketball team.

Haymitch likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

By the way, a friendly reminder that the current return on the Harden/Tucker deals is effectively Oladipo, 5 FRPs and 4 swaps.

If we go the picks route with Dipo, that will increase to 6 or 7 FRPs.

6. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

In a heartbeat.

KPJ
    Cade/Green
    Reddish
    KJ Martin
    Okongwu

That’s a hell of a real young core. All under 23.

joshuaao, Nook and raining threes like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Aaron Gordan is not good enough to demand his destination. Sounds like bs to me. If the price is dipo and one of our crappy picks so be it. We don’t need him to show up this year anyway. He doesn’t show he doesn’t get paid. We can trade him for more next year at the deadline. All Dipo is going to get us is some expirings and a heavily protected first in my opinion.

eliefor3 likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I made my point before seeing this, and that kind of confirms it. We have to face the fact that right now our situation is not one that is conducive to bringing in veteran players IMO. THIS SUMMER when we can sell a healthy Gordon, Wall, and Wood as a core that can be competitive... yeah... then you have the chance to get a player like Gordon on board, and excited.

RIGHT NOW though this team is viewed as the first year Hinkie Sixers. For the rest of the season, I think it's best to pull in youngsters with something to prove. I think sitting Wall the rest of the season might be a good idea as well. For this reason alone, I think Gordon and similar players would be a mistake to trade for. Timing is just really really bad for veteran player morale.

raining threes and Boston84 like this.
  9. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

@furiousjam Feel like he gave such a shitty team in Orlando a lot of years. He paid his dues. But I know what you mean.

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Need a wellness check for drock

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I've been saying this for a while now but we really can't target anyone not on a really long contract cause they'll walk as soon as they get here. Is Aaron Gordon good enough to choose his destination? No. But if he's traded here he'll just mail it in next season and walk after. Would be a waste to attach anything to Oladipo to get him or any other soon to be free agent. The Rockets org is toxic right now and anyone will bail as soon as they can.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

absolutely .

when you say brogdan you mean bogdanovic right ? I think this one is bogdan

either way , it’s the one that was in Sacramento right ?

I used to want that guy to pair with harden . Idk if he is hurt now , and if so how badly . But , if it’s not too bad then I think the guy can be decent .

I like oladipo more than I like John wall , but he’s gone next year anyways . Exum is good to use here so you can collect actual assets . I think on its own, salary relief isn’t worth as much as all of those players . We can’t thin our depth out more or else We are going to forfeit due to injury .

This immediately gives us guys to play . We need to cross our fingers on KPJ and wood and hope we don’t break the losing streak .

I want us to stay in the bottom 3 , but I want us to play well and be rewarded sometimes . Things will change as the season goes on . Look at some of the injuries around the league .

we will play coasting teams or injured teams. But I’d rather those not be our only wins.

I think the streak has put us in a pretty good place . B2b tonight is killer . If raptors give a **** they should win . (Did they play last night too ? )

we should prolly be able to go ~.300 from the trade deadline on . That’s my hope lol . .400 just seems greedy .

Nook likes this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I doubt he’ll mail in a contract year.

14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Has anyone checked on d-rock? Aaron Gordon turning down his advances may be the last straw in combination with this losing streak. AG has no clue his biggest fan has the heart of a champion!

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He'll mail it in the same way Vic and John are right now. Play for themselves instead of the team. Rack up stats while racking up Ls. Ballhog all night, every night. It won't be pretty.

raining threes likes this.
  16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

In my opinion, Gordon was a good player to target. He would have complemented Wood well and provided a presence at a position we're really struggling at. It sucks he doesnt want to come here, especially if the cost was swinging Oladipo and a pick.

Water under the bridge. This rebuild is going to take some time. The FO will HAVE to draft well this offseason, and we should be able to trade Oladipo off here soon which will open the door for Porter to get more minutes. We're going to win a game at some point here, and I think we'll probably win just enough to put our bottom three positioning at risk, but who knows. I'm sure the FO is regretting the Levert deal. They overestimated Dipo's worth and are now struggling to find suitors, and underestimated Levert's worth (he would have been attractive to younger teams like the Kings in my opinion).

D-rock and HTown_TMac like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

It is a tough commitment, but the Rockets could probably move Gordon and or Bogdanovich going into the last year.

It really comes down to how much the Rockets value Okongwu and Reddish..... it is an interesting way to inject recent draft talent onto the roster but at a cost.

FWIW I personally would do it.

Deuce, BigMaloe, BallaDoc and 5 others like this.
  18. raining threes

I do this deal in a heartbeat. Adds young athletic guys with size that fit the same time line. Do I think Tilman does it? No chance

Nook likes this.
  19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Someone go knock on his door.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

im all for buying low on young recent draft talent that hasn’t panned out (although that hasnt worked out well for us in the past), but don’t see it being worth taking on negative assets like Bogdanovic...and certainly not worth giving up any picks for. I think our best chance for rebuilding is to invest in the draft and invest in player development.

Nook likes this.