1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Someone hit me with the D.J. Wilson inside scoop.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Mar 17, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He's known to be an underachiever. Perhaps playing and bonding with our talented young group might encourage him to work hard.

hakeem94 and fattz like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rich man's Bruno. :D

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

did someone say BRUNO?!?!

[​IMG]

rfrocket and RudyTBag like this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think our scouting dept. or Stone or both seemed to be pretty good. Wood, Tate, Nwaba, KPJ, KMJ. So what if they strike out with Wilson, Lamb, Patton, and Jones. Wilson is worth a shot. We moved up a few spots got a decent trade piece in the off-season. We weren’t getting **** for Tucker and we got positive assets in my opinion. Harden dealt us a bad hand. These guys seem to be making the best of it.

For all the Levert, Allen > Dipo fans. Those guys are going to get paid big bucks and Dipo will probably net us at least one more FRP if not more if we take on a **** contract. We can’t be hard players in FA until we get rid of Wall so why not take on a bad contract no longer than Wall’s, if it nets us good future assets. Gordan getting hurt really screwed us.

rkh-dog likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Looks like a young TB12 rooting for Montana!

7. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

This is a great time to give the young prospect a shot, he wasn't getting much time behind Giannis. He is 6'10 and athletic. Has some perimeter skills and has a decent stroke from 3. He has some talent we can work with and mold into a nice role player while we keep looking for our cornerstone players in the draft and FA going forward. Put him in coach and lets go.

rkh-dog and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought you were going to be an instant Wilson Only Fan. :D

hakeem94 and Williamson like this.
  9. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Or poor man's (pick anyone of our hilarious underachieving '09ers from the past): TWill, Thabeet, Jhonny Flynn, Jordan Hill, Ty Lawson, Casspi...
    Let's hope the flyer on DJ Wilson works out.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yikes!!

12. malakas

malakas Member

If you want a word to describe DJ it is he is soft.
    He avoids contact like he is allergic and that's why he is not a good finisher. That's why he didn't make it in the rotation.
    He has a pretty good shot from outside.
    If you expect him to go for dunks or rebound in traffic good luck with that.
    I haven't been watching much lately but I doubt anything changed.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let's hope he is our Dale Ellis, or Christian Wood, or Drazen Petrovic - all guys burried on the bench that turned out to be star players.

DD

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's super interesting. I watched some highlights, and I know, that's why they're called highlights, and he was dunking on dudes. Hopefully his timidity is a product of being afraid to make a mistake and get yanked and not just part of his nature. If that's the case, coach can work with it. If he's just timid, well, it's a tough league for the timid.

15. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Didn't realize there was so much hate for Patton on the board. I like him! He needs to improve his rebounding and rim protecting, but I think he has the tools to get there. He has a real three point shot.

I look forward to seeing Wilson on the court. He should get ample opportunity to develop and that kind of size, athleticism and shooting aren't so easy to find. Not a bad haul for Tuck. PJ for DJ & DJ

rkh-dog likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Patton just looks to me like he is clueless and at times floats....doesn't impact the game all that much.

DD

rkh-dog and hakeem94 like this.
  17. jogo

jogo Member

I don't know anything about DJ Wilson, but I did look up his stats yesterday as a defender and this post agrees with me: he look ok.
    Individual defense is hard to measure, the sample sizes are low, etc. But here's what I saw:
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/d...n&TeamID=1610612749&sort=PCT_PLUSMINUS&dir=-1

2020-2021 in 12 games with 4.4 opponent shots per game, they are shooting 12.7% worse when he defends them 44.8%-32.1%=12.7%
    2019-2020 in 34 games 4.6 6% 44.2%-38.2%
    2018-2019 in 46 games 9.2 2.3% 45.2%-42.9%
    2017-2018 in 11 games 2.8 12.2% better 45.8% vs 58.1%

So, really bad in first year in a tiny number of games. Really good this year in a tiny number of games. Good in the previous two years. Might mean something and might not.

D-rock, Easy, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  18. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Maybe so, and Wood is soft as well. So is Porter from Denver Nuggets. They both want no contact. That has not stopped folks here from singing their praises, or wanting to trade for them, correct? Maybe Wilson finds his groove like Wood did. He is a prospect with size and skills for todays NBA.

19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Throw him out there for 12 minutes. Now is the time to audition people. Maybe he flashes or maybe he gets us a few more ping pong balls - it's all good either way.

hakeem94 and malakas like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member