1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Aware

Aware Member

PJ is washed and was not even part of the squad anymore. Any return is a positive.

Franchise altering trade? no.
    But we got somewhat better draft positioning for a player that didnt want to be here and was going to walk this offseason.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This is legit. Moved up, what 10 slots in the draft into the first? That typically in the off-season takes a pj Tucker lol player.

Traded a protected 1st, back to the team for a future unprotected? Hell who knows if giannis demands a trade or gets injure by then?

Great value

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe the Bucks implode by 2023 and that 1st becomes gold.

#83 jim1961, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He was lost in a rotation behind Giannis, Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez and Mirotic.

You guys know this player we have named Christian Wood? He also has been lost in rotations but showed flashes when he played.

I wanted him as a flier to back up Clint Capela last year prior to the start of the year. He's the best back up center on this team and it's not close.

He's not some star player but he's a decent shooting big who can also play the PNR.

sirjesse, CVcrew and RLP55 like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Are we still doing a Post of the Week thing? Because this one definitely qualifies.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is such a massive W. I was expecting two 2s or a 2 and a meh young player.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Y'all naysayers are tripping. We were hoping to get a 1st for Tucker and we got one. Only contenders would trade for him. What exactly were y'all expecting?

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good deal. Couldn't expect anymore out of PJ.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

*cough*! Tank! *cough!*

D-rock likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

thats probably a problem with your expectations more than anything.

homers ALWAYS overrate players like Tucker. There was a clip making the rounds on Twitter recently from a few years back against GSW where Tucker did his classic super hustle to grab like 2 offensive rebounds and put it in for a score and foul. The problem was the first offensive rebound was from his miss in a pass from James that should have been a relatively easy layup. That describes players like Tucker.

very very very nice to have. But...

expiring. Old. Not even currently playing.

what 7-11 seed wants that?? Probably none. So then it’s a better tram that might have someone else’s pick. But there’s not many of that. You’re not getting the Minny pick from GSW for Tucker lol.

personally I think this is a great trade.

Move up 10ish spots in the draft. Improve - likely - the pick you already had from Milwaukee. That’s a win.

if Tucker had the season he’s currently having but kept playing... and had one more year left on his contract... and the draft comes around and there’s the opportunity to trade Tucker and the Rockets second rounder (low 30s) to move up 6-10 spots id say yep do it. Never mind the other stuff.

11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They basically traded him for nothing, unless you think DJ Wilson or Augustine have some hidden value. The pick swaps boil down to the rockets being able to move up ~5ish slots on their second round pick. So if you thought he was worth more than nothing, you're probably not too happy, and if you thought he was worth nothing, then it's probably fine.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Quite impressive to get something out of a player at that age and scored zero points most games. I will miss u pj, but I'm glad we got something from u

rkh-dog and No Worries like this.
  13. PWR

PWR Member

Will Portland's 2021 1st + Milwaukee's 2021 1st be enough to move up to get another lottery pick?

Maybe, snag Corey Kispert with a late lottery pick. Hmmm....

I take back what I said if Stone can pull it off.

joshuaao and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great!

DD

rkh-dog and don grahamleone like this.
  15. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

We lost our biggest cheerleader Kurucs

16. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

I would have rather just bought PJ out

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I don't think piling up future unprotected draft picks from teams that are currently contenders is a bad thing. Sure these teams may stay good and they will all be in the 20s. But the more of them you get, seemingly the better odds that one of those teams falls apart and the pick becomes valuable.

Look at the Rockets. Things happen. Although the picks we traded for Westbrook were probably stupid even at the time, it didn't seem likely we were going to implode this quickly. And now here we are.

18. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Nook, I enjoy reading most of your posts on here, but I would have to strongly disagree on this one. Stone nailed this trade.

The value of an unprotected 2023 FRP from Milwaukee is higher than a 2022. It is extremely difficult to project 2.5 years out and there is always a chance Giannis decides to leave after 2-3 more unsuccessful tries in the playoffs. I think most teams would rather have a later unprotected pick from contenders.

You would be right about moving up 8-10 spots in many drafts, but this year you may find lottery talent in the mid 20s. Also, we can buy another pick in the 40-50s like we did last year.

Stone likely could not get anyone to bite on a late first, so he did something very innovative and I'm completely on board with this trade.

Deuce, zeeshan2, Richie_Rich and 16 others like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Drafting in the first vs the second means you don't have to dip into your MLE to sign the players to a long term deal.

There are HUGE benefits to drafting late first vs early second unless you want to stash players.

Deuce, vator, ROXTXIA and 4 others like this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothin for nothin. Bout right.