1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chris Paul hamstring massacre of 2018.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 24, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep. I feel the same way and have said so and I know people disagree but I've seen stars do amazing things to get their teams over humps.

Harden is 2nd or 3rd (depends on where people want to Moses) all time Rocket but that right there was his legacy shining moment. Beating an all-time team with his running mate out. It would have been one championship that felt like 3 had they gone on to then beat the Cavs.

People act like it was impossible but despite no CP3 that was a close game. That was a winnable game. He needed to get his team to win that one game, find a way, and do it. Teams have won single games with the odds stacked against them, it happens, it's possible, and that game was winnable. That was his playoff moment to put all the post-season doubts to the side.

Now, Harden's post-season legacy hinges on this year. If he doesn't get it done this year, if his team loses in any round, it's going to take a lot for him to dodge the blame. Unless Kyrie/KD are hurt which is possible with those two I guess.

HoustonWest likes this.
  2. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

This is also why it's hard for me to want to see the Nets win. I liked the Nets under Atkinson and Marks considering the **** position they were in up until last year. Now they're not particularly likeable, even if Harden's image has suddenly been scrubbed and fawned over (to me it's hard to get over how selfish and immature he was forcing his way out and being a general ******* flaunting the COVID precautions).

Harden was never a leader, and he doesn't need to be in Brooklyn because they're so talented. Still I personally wouldn't mind them imploding come playoff time due to their defensive liabilities or general lack of accountability and volatile personalities (we all know Durant -- who has never had to lead a team by himself -- and Irving lack leadership skills).

If Harden is the veteran leader of that group then they are in for a fight against Boston, Philadelphia, Milwaukee or Miami (at this point one would think the Sixers are the favorites in the East).

In the end, it's bittersweet how things ended in Houston, but I don't really care if he wins in Brooklyn; in fact it might be better for Houston fans to hope for dysfunction in Brooklyn (I suspect if they lose in the playoffs then Nash
    might be scapegoated and replaced with D'Antoni).

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

This is delusional line of reasoning. Who are all these stars that are having these types a games you pulled out of your imagination? In reality these stars get exceptional performances from the others that allow the team to weather times where the star has a bad game. Whereas the others didn't really do much in that series against the Warriors. And the lack of foul calls on 3s (among other missed calls) really hurt the Rockets ability to keep the lead. And of course not having CP3 didn't help.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

AI with little help having the game of his life here.

Jordan with the Flu.

Magic jumping center, missing Kareem on his team.

Lebron clinching Game 7 with defense and big shots to bring his team back from 3-1 and lead to a championship

I mean, there are more...let's remember Hakeem and Dirk won championships with no 2nd superstar too...

I think the point is this was an opportunity for Harden to have one of these magical games, no CP3, a finals appearance on the line, game 7....this is where you make your legacy. He didn't.

ronclone and HoustonWest like this.
  5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Still haven’t gotten over it