1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. jowman

jowman Member

Best player in the league for awhile now. Passed lebron as best regular season player for several seasons

2. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

And you have low ball IQ

HP3 likes this.
  3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Harden's actual passing is vastly superior to Curry's and he also draws double teams faster and more frequently than Curry.

HP3 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have absolutely fallen in love with the Nets -- they are so fun to watch.

ParaSolid and Rocket_ph like this.
  5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yeah the championships are won with multiple stars or multiple superstars... If you don't have that, then you need some massive injury luck in your favor.... Welcome to this era of ball since it seems you haven't been paying attention.

vlaurelio likes this.
  6. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

He won those with his scoring primarily and IDK.... HAVING THE MOST TALENTED TEAM IN THE NBA?

7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

That was NEVER the answer... It was always if you have great midrange shooters, then you SHOOT the midrange.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Harden is a better passer than Curry, but Curry draws far more double teams. Don't forget that Curry gets doubled off-ball. Harden doesn't.

9. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Harden is clearly a better passer than Curry whether it's kickouts, skip passes, PnR passes, lob passes, pocket passes, transition lead passes, etc.
    Harden draws more double teams ON ball than Curry.
    Defenses HEDGE Harden far more than they do Curry.

Yes Curry's gravity in certain situations leads to him getting more defensive attention off ball whether it's a trap or a "double" as you say, but this doesn't make his playmaking superior to Harden's.... That's hilarious.

HP3 and vlaurelio like this.
  10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Simply wrong. Off-ball, the defensive attention Harden gets pales in comparison to Curry.

I suggest you watch some Warriors games. You'll be shocked at how frequently GSW scores due to defenses overplaying Curry off-ball.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Here's every shot attempt by Harden in his last game against Sacramento:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?C...eamID=1610612751&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

Here's every assist from that game:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?C...eamID=1610612751&flag=1&sct=plot&section=game

Can you point out all the double teams he faced this game? Because I'm not seeing them.

12. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I watch GS and I know what you're referring to... Also when I say hedge that's referring to someone leaving the player they're guarding off ball to jump in the way of the ball handler so they can't get into the paint or to the basket... GS literally did this themselves against Harden quite a bit in multiple series...

I'm not talking about one game or even just this season.... I'm talking about the bulk of his career and tenure in Houston especially the last 4 seasons.... Most of the double-teams other guys see including Curry usually come out of screen-and-rolls, when a second defender is brought to them and both players stay attached like this:

Curry has faced this yes, but Harden faced this much more than Curry ^ and that's different than a second defender simply leaving his man outside the play and rushing out to double-team at the top of the key, which is also what happened to Harden often in Houston and way more than it ever happened to Curry:

Also something you don't seem to be acknowledging is Curry has had an all-time great release valve in Draymond, who dismantles defenses with the 4-on-3 advantage..... Harden for most of his career and tenure here did not... When Cp3 was healthy and available was the only time defenses couldn't get away with being this brazen.... One of the reasons defenses have been able to do this so often especially in the playoffs is because Harden didn't have a Klay Thompson for most of his career... Or a KD... Or heck... Even a Draymond Green.... Defenses often times blatantly disrespected the supporting casts around Harden...

Here's a good article from Lowe:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28243765/james-harden-vs-double-teams-winning

"Houston scored 1.093 points per chance on shots that follow -- after one or more passes -- Harden dishing out of a double-team as he crosses midcourt, a mark that would lead all half-court offenses both for the season and since Nov. 20.

That dovetails with public data. Houston has scored 114.3 points per 100 possessions since Nov. 20 -- fourth overall, per NBA.com data. That number jumps to 116.6 with Harden on the floor. Houston in that span has averaged a mammoth 1.14 points per possession anytime opponents trap Harden on a pick-and-roll, according to Second Spectrum data."

Harden is undeniably a better playmaker than Curry.

jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Then you're in the wrong thread.

Not really. Your examples showed the ball-handler getting doubled. I've been talking about Curry getting doubled off-ball.

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

He perfected that floater 4 years ago

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Wrong because the argument is who was a better PLAYMAKER for their careers.... PERIOD... You're choosing to just focus on Curry getting trapped off ball, but literally ignoring every other aspect which is what I went into.

HP3 likes this.
  16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And this goes back to whether or not you consider Curry's off-ball doubles to be "playmaking" for his teammates. I do, and that's why I think Curry's playmaking is better than Harden's.

17. riko

riko Member

That’s why harden is regularly mentioned as a top playmaker in the world yet no one mentions Stephanie

Anyway this has been debated here and you were laughed out of this thread by virtually everyone here. Take the que and quit while you’re ahead

HP3 likes this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Most people here are Harden fans who look to marginalize Curry whenever possible. The real laugh is failing to understand that drawing double teams off-ball which creates good looks for teammates IS playmaking.

Do you know why no one talks about Curry's playmaking? Because it's overshadowed by his GOAT shooting.

19. riko

riko Member

And your a delusional Curry Stan bro. Get over it.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Why? Because I consider drawing double teams off-ball to be "playmaking"?