1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

2. jowman

jowman Member

Little dicks always hatin on harden

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Traditionally, yes, but Curry is the GOAT shooter, and there's never been anyone who commands attention like he does without the ball. If you want the word "playmaker" to mean what it's always meant, then the definition needs to be updated.

If it happened frequently, then yes, I could see the argument for it, but I don't think that happened very frequently.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think we should credit Curry for his off-ball impact. It's just much, much harder to quantify. If we limit playmaking to on-ball impact, at least it's easier to compare playmaking of different players because it can be translated into actual events recorded in the play-by-play.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

But then you lose the essence of what "playmaking" truly is. I get that it's easier for the casual fan to ignore off-ball contributions with regards to "playmaking", but we are all on a Rockets forum. We should hold ourselves to higher standards.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not a fairly common situation and its not being doubled team off the ball.

[​IMG]

Air Canada likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Well a Curry lead offense....is well mediocre. They are 21st in offensive efficiency. He's been amazing but and his advanced numbers are great but overall, his ability to raise a team's offense with middling talent just isn't that good. GS is winning games with their defense. And the talent on that team isnt any worse than Harden's 2015-2016 team nor his 2014-2015 team.

vator and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This dude is just making **** up and then wanna drop a casual fan in here.

The higher standard you should hold yourself to is stop making **** up like Curry is double teamed of the ball.

9. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

There you assuming stuff. I like said I came here defending him. What do I have to give him credit for? Anybody who has watch the Rockets the last few year know what Harden can do. This no surprise. Regular season is not where he falters. That a fact, not a dig. Just like when have seen his success we've seen his failures too. I just choose to not ignore them like they don't exist and he's all of sudden is going to get it now that he's in Brooklyn.

10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

You really think you should be talking LOL

11. HardenVolumeOne

yea no excuse for curry to be leading the 21st ranked offense

Nook and HP3 like this.
  12. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Can CF get this thread to 500 by the time James is hoisting that Larry O?

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry is double-teamed off-ball. This is common knowledge. Why do you think people make a big deal about his "gravity"?

Look at this play:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?G...ing Dunk Shot (12 PTS) (Green 4 AST)&sct=plot

It's extremely common for defenses to overplay Curry like that.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not common knowledge and that's why nobody else is saying that.

Switching incorrectly is not double teaming off the ball and those 2 guys immediately left him when he did not have the ball.

Guys do the same to Harden all the time why do you think he is so deadly in the PnR so again why is Curry a better playmaker?

HP3 and vlaurelio like this.
  15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry's "gravity" really is common knowledge. How can you be unaware of that?

Both defenders literally followed him from the free throw line until they were both beyond the 3pt line. Curry causes these type of defensive breakdowns pretty frequently, and they usually lead to baskets. In your opinion, why don't plays like these count towards his "playmaking"?

Because Curry doesn't need the ball to create defensive breakdowns.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Both defenders followed him because of a switching mistake and they barely took 2 steps toward him and then "doubled" Green.

Harden gets the defense to do the same thing and he is a better playmaker with the ball in his hands so why is curry better?

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Both defenders followed him from the free throw line until they were both beyond the 3pt line. Yes, it's a switching mistake, but it also results in him being double teamed without the ball. And Green isn't doubled on the play.

Curry frequently causes these types of defensive breakdowns which the Warriors generally capitalize on. Why don't you consider this to be "playmaking"?

Harden doesn't get this sort of off-ball defensive attention, and even if you're going to argue that he does, he certainly doesn't move enough off-ball to capitalize on it.

Why is Curry better? Because he consistently causes defensive breakdowns with and without the ball.

18. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think i'm going to try and fly to a city that allows fans when bkn comes to play

i'd like to see james in action during his championship season..

pippendagimp and vlaurelio like this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member