1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden's Brooklyn Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jerryclark, Jan 13, 2021.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the lakers odds might be wrong. they have the lakers as -550 for the portland series, the rockets series, and the denver series. there's basically no chance that's right. i remember looking last year and i think it said -400 for our series so i'm guessing portland odds are right and us and denver are wrong.

-200 is not technically a toss-up, but something being 2/3 likely is not something you are betting your life savings on. we would have probably won with a better performance from harden (or aldridge playing the 2 best games of his career), but they aren't going to make a documentary about what a monumental upset it was. and it's extremely unlikely we're beating the spurs, thunder, and heat all in a row.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

then i'll call it simplistic. he has gone from playing with dependent players who needed him to do everything to a team with 2 of the best scorers/shooters in the game along with maybe the best spot up shooter in the game. the court is way more open, making it much less necessary to dribble for a long time before determining if there is an opening or to determine how best to set up the defense to get a teammate open. you can also throw a pass to those other 3 guys with a defender close to them and they can still get off the shot so you can throw a lot of early passes just by noticing the defense a little out of place (whereas people like tucker/ariza/ego/etc would not get a shot off and probably just throw it back to harden). i have noticed this a lot. as for passing more, again the options are better so of course the score vs pass balance has shifted. it's possible harden has shifted something about his game, but the vast majority of any changes can be explained by his teammates.

yoeddy, hakeem94, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

After 17 years in the NBA a ripe aged Duncan averaged a robust 14-9 in 2014

5. HP3

HP3 Member

No FTs, bigger market ="omg this NEW HARDEN IS KEWL" ........they are casuals.

rockbox likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Riddle me this. How does a guy that shoots over 50 percent for behind the arc be slightly below average at the free throw line?

hakeem94 and Reeko like this.
  7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

yeah that’s weird about Harris. Maybe it’s because he’s used to jumping on his shots? He seems to jump higher on his 3s than other people do

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. riko

riko Member

Durant is out again against the clippers. Harden can really get into the mvp consideration if he can beat the Suns, lakers and clippers as the main guy . Huge game for him tomorrow night

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Their guys seems to have more autonomy in that offense, and I agree with it. Hardens also passing it way more, which is reflected in his drastic drop in usage rate (I understand that usage rate tracks possessions ending in a FGA, FTA, or TO). It also helps A LOT when he’s passing to way better offensive players than we ever had here. Even with CP3 and Russ here, Harden was registering at least a 36% or so usage rate.

This is what I see watching their offense and it’s just more effective. I really think that their guys, even role players, continue actions where they catch it from Harden, don’t have the shot, and then go into the next option. You may disagree and I can’t really get push back other than giving you my impressions based on my eye test and Harden’s usage rate. Hopefully Zach Lowe writes about this or something LOL.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea but the autonomy is like.....straight line drives or maybe like pull up twos? I feel like we did that here too? Like they can bleed efficiency in those areas because they have 3 superstar players. I will have to go and look at more of their games but for the most part, I still just see Harden controlling things out there.

11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

What I am saying is please go back to elementary school and learn to read. You win for the worst reading comp on this forum, by far, you get a gold star for that. I am guessing you failed every standardized test in school huh.

#2731 BallSoHarden, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  12. akxninja

akxninja Member

Bruce Bowen lead the league with .441 3pt% and shot .401 FT% that same year lol

durvasa and hakeem94 like this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

whatever you say JA defensive depth fan lol

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Which was 2nd and 1st on a team where almost 8 people avg double digits. He was still their best player and the top scorer only avg Ike 17 a night.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Cmon the year before that 39 yrs old derek fisher put the clamps down on harden in the clutch....that okc series was very winnable were it not for the harden choke

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That San Antonio team was obviously still good, not just winning it all but the 62 wins.

I developed the opinion that matchup wise that Rockets team could have beaten any of the top teams that year but since Leonard won a ring in Toronto I've gained more respect for him as a player and his San Antonio accomplishments and those Spurs.

I have been saying that Rockets team had a real shot so long I did forget why I was saying it

durvasa likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Who knew James could be so thin, fit and fun!

rockbox likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Icehouse

The Rockets went 4-0 against the 2014 Spurs. I'm sure that's why I'm stuck in that opinion

durvasa likes this.
  19. riko

riko Member

He looked pretty clutch when he bent over Paul in Phoenix in the clutch

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The revisionist history of Harden losing to inferior teams is just not true

Him being basically solely responsible for the losses is not true.
    Question: On those Harden "choke jobs" Who were the second best players on the Rockets in those games and what were their stats??

Rocket River

Air Canada and Reeko like this.