1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Motion to rename the Rangers the Texas ERCOTs

2. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The guy that was about nothing but winning is also the guy that is responsible for the team losing 4 draft picks.

3. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

What is going to happen when Correa and Bregman get hurt? What about when Framber and McCullers and Urquidy all get hurt at the same time? Who is going to play then? I guess Click should have signed 30 guys to account for all the possible injuries
    Projections are just telling us what we want them to tell us? Bwahahaha, what a joke. I wonder why you don't believe them!

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. raining threes

See I'm fine with losing draft picks if a winning team on the field.

BTW, Luhnow said he didn't know about the cheating. Take that for what it's worth. Goldstein said he didn't know about the cheating and I believe him.

Do you have a problem with the way Luhnow ran things?

CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.
  5. raining threes

Besides Corre/LMJa none of the guys you listed have injury histories. Hopefully Whitley will fill in for LMJ. Who's going to fill in, in the OF?

You didn't answer my question, were you happy with the job Luhnow did?

6. raining threes

He got hurt last year and has an injury history.

7. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I was fine with the job Luhnow did, right up to the point that the cheating happened. But I guess you were fine with it, since integrity means nothing as long as there is a winning team on the field, right. That does sound like what you are saying.

By the way, nobody has a history of injuries, until they have an injury. Hopefully Whitley will fill in? That is your plan? LOL If you are so concerned with the possibilitiy of injuries, and having somebody available to step in, you should be much more concerned about the pitching staff, as injuries are much more prevelant there.

Whoever they feel is best suited is who will fill in the OF. Maybe it is Diaz, maybe Souza, maybe McCormack, maybe Siri, maybe they make a trade, or sign somebody unexpectedly. I do not know what evaluation analytics they have. It really doesn't matter what name I give, because you will just whine that it should be somebody that they didn't sign, and that Castro sucks. After all, you don't believe the numbers because they do not support your wants and desires. HOWEVER, I can pretty much guarantee they will answer the question when they set the 26 man roster.

8. msn

msn Member

"Dude hasn't done anything in two years!!"
    "Actually, it's been one year and one week."
    "Dude hasn't done anything in two seasons!!!"
    "It was only one season."
    "This one season crap is nothing but an excuse!"
    LOL OK. Ignore.

jiggyfly, IowaAstro, mikol13 and 5 others like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You asked "when was the last time he made it through a whole season healthy?".

I answered your question. He did it as recently as 2019. There was not a single time he wasn't available 2 consecutive games.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. raining threes

Cheating has been part of baseball since the begining.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree agree.

I value a starting caliber CF over a backup catcher.

They have pitching depth in the minors to withstand a couple of injuries. Garcia comes to mind and I think Solomon makes a big jump this year. Although I would've liked to have seen Click pickup a cheap vet starter for depth purposes. Who knows maybe Pruitt is that guy.

You think Straw is a starting CF on a championship team?

11. raining threes

Can you say outlier.

I think you missed the point.

12. raining threes

Ok you're right. He's had 1 season and 1 off-season.

Moves made Raley/ Baez/Chishek/Castro. Can you spell chpionship? Especially when looking at what time other contenders have done.

13. prospecthugger

I find the Luhnow comparison to be kinda weird for a number of reasons.

I don't want Click to try and be Luhnow, I want Click to try and make the Astros organization better.

I don't think Luhnow did a very good job taking into account the human component. He was very process-focused, which is good, but if your leadership skills cause the people who help develop the process to leave, you're hurting yourself. Regardless of your feelings of the media, appearing callous is going to hurt the perception of the team. With the turnover in the front office, and Luhnow's handling of the Taubman situation, I am not convinced Luhnow has the interpersonal skills to be the head of a modern MLB team.

Click's offseason seems very Luhnow-esque to me, so far he's:
    Signed a solid reliver to a roughly standard reliever contract (see Gregerson, Sipp, Smith)
    Signed Brantley to a 2 year contract.
    Acquired a veteran catcher to push Stubbs down the depth chart. (Since Stubb's 2016 breakout, the Astros have acquired McCann, Chirinos, Maldonado x 3, Garneau)

Also, I feel like the one big concern about the team is CF, which still has one of the better FA available. If Click signs JBJ, or is waiting for him to make a decision before moving on to a trade for a solid CF (I think Incinarte from ATL makes some sense) then CF goes from a relative weakness to a relative strength.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Great take. If you take away the farm Luhnow was able to build thru tanking, what did he do that was so great? He made some decent signings and some poor signings, some decent extensions and some poor ones, some good drafts and some poor ones, some good trades and some bad ones. By far his greatest gift to the Astros was selling Crane on the complete tank job that allowed them to add the core talent the made them competitive.

Like you pointed out there are plenty of correlary Luhnow moves to the moves Click has made.

Click will make or break himself thru his drafts and thru how he handles the financial flexibility he has coming next offseason.

jiggyfly and prospecthugger like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

If cheating and integrity matter to you when it comes to sports, then you really should move on from baseball. Cheating is and has been rampant in baseball for well over 100 years. The Astros, like every other team have been cheating for a long time. If you are mad that the Astros were caught and made an example of that is fine. However the idea that you are upset they cheated is simplistic.

16. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

What I am mad about is that the league sent a letter to every team and told them to stop. It was part of the game right up until that point. For whatever reason, the Astros chose to continue, and paid the price needlessly. So to me, your excuse that everybody was doing it, is just a load of shite. Please let me know if I have erred on any of the facts

#2656 Astrofan59, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  17. Nook

Nook Member

It has been part of the game after that point as well.

The reality is that cheating is very common in baseball.

Pitchers regularly use substances to modify spin rates and movement.

Hitters get signs for what pitches are coming.

Players use illegal substances in their bodies and for concentration.

It IS the game........ from when Ty Cobb sharpened his spikes to Walker Buehler cheating in the playoffs LAST YEAR.

Even the guy that ratted on the Astros has used illegal substances on the ball to get results when needed.

You can get mad that the Astros were caught..... but if you are pissed at the Astros for cheating, they you better be pissed at every other team and the league as a whole.

18. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

For what its work. Was just checking the RotoWorld fantasy projections for 2021 in the general category of OF. surprisingly I saw Myles Straw at 37 overall ahead of such names as :
    Kyle Schwarber
    Cory Dickerson
    Ian Happ.
    I know a lot of this is predicated on stolen bases, and defense does not factor. But, universal logic outside of this board seems to think he will be middle of the road to slightly above average. Just passing it along.

https://www.rotochamp.com/baseball/PlayerRankings.aspx?Position=OF&StatType=RotoChamp

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

I am looking forward to seeing what Myles can do, give the kid a chance, evaluate the situation after two months.
    Giving someone like JBJ, a career .239 hitter, millions of dollars without giving Straw a chance makes no sense.

20. SuraGotMadHops

I am still at the "wait and see" stage with Click, but I can understand some of the anxiousness with respect to some of his moves, or lack thereof.

I don't think it's fair to compare what he is doing to how Luhnow ran things, I'm still upset that he is not the GM anymore, I dont think Crane should have fired him, and I know there is debate regarding whether Manfried forced Crane's hand. If that is the case, than eff Manfried forever.

But I do think back to Luhnow's early days here ... he had inherited Springer, Altuve, and Keuchel from Ed Wade. Similar to what Click is doing now, he brought in guys he was already familiar with from St Louis (i.e. Rasmus), and made some low profile signings (signing Gregerson who was our closer, McHugh who was low risk, Harris off of waivers, etc.). Luhnow made very low spash moves and worked his way from there with good drafting (Bregman, Correa) and trades. Even with those homeruns, he struck out on some picks (Appel, Aiken), and my God if only we could have a do-over on the Gomez/Fiers trade, even the Kazmir deal.

I don't think anybody considered Rasmus, Gregerson, McHugh, Harris, Valbuena, Conger, et al to be big splash moves, but Luhnow had a plan and all of these moves lead to later moves.

Bottom line, I am willing to give Click some time to see how this plays out.

jiggyfly likes this.