1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

I think the best line up would have Bregman hitting lead off. Best eye and plate discipline on the team.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not be surprised if this is the actual lineup.

The Beard likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bregman is unquestionably the teams best hitter, but the question is hitting him leadoff wasting his power. In a dream world Straw would be able to get on base at a clip closer to what he did in the minors; if he could post a .360+ OBP then he would be a no brainer lead off man with Bregman hitting 2nd.

IowaAstro and everyday eddie like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd have no problem with Bregman and Alvarez batting 1,2. Gets those two about 60 more plate appearances combined than if they bat 3,4. Plus it is a nice good morning to the pitcher in the first inning.

#2524 Joe Joe, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking the same, but I think the one I struggled with the most is Yuli because of the weird reverse splits. Batting him behind a lefty creates a nice pocket for a situational lefty to face 2 hitters (possibly three if Castro bats 8th) who might struggle against them. I guess it is mitigated by Tucker's good ABs versus LHP? The balance (and depth) up top with RLRLRLR is pretty good though.

Go 'stros!!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

#2526 J.R., Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    The Beard likes this.
  7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

It's gone!

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Erased from existence.

9. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Joe Joe likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nice to see some recognition to Urquidy.

The Beard, awc713, No Worries and 6 others like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Just have to say: goddammit why did ****ing Verlander have to get hurt? A healthy Verlander in front of Greinke, Valdez, Urquidy, and McCullers would be among the absolute deepest rotations in the league, and it would allow Javier to be the lights out multi-inning closer this team so desperately needs. RAGEeeeeee

awc713 likes this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’m not ruling out Verlander being a multi-inning arm come September-October. Disagree about Javier, he’s 23 and finished third in ROY. No guarantee he can close out games. It may ruin him. Keep him where you’ve developed him.

If Verlander doesn’t get hurt. Javier probably doesn’t debut.

13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

This will be a great opportunity for Leon

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

Feel like Altuve is going to be the X factor and really determine how this year goes for the Stros. Some projections are down on him...but I’m hoping he puts together a monster year. 2020 offensive stats are irrelevant to me...and he was really clicking in the playoffs. Plus his 2019 campaign was solid. If he stays healthy, and with a good ST under his belt...oh man. I get the aging and power drop concerns, but I just think everyone is sleeping on him again. His stat sheet is insane and I think he’s still very much an elite hitter. Also underrated, he has 5 30sb campaigns (and a 56 season)...but at the same time hasn’t swiped 30 since 2017. If Altuve is slotted first...and is back to GOAT status... I don’t know. I’m SO excited to see what he (and this entire team) can do this year. We’re deep AF. Bregman, Altuve, Brantley, Yordan, Correa, Tucker. In one lineup? You kidding me?? I think we’re in for a really good season. Plus, the AL West is looking pretty weak, all things considered. With LAA not addressing their pitching needs and Brokeland deciding not to pay good players, and Rangers/Mariners still in rebuild mode...we *should* be in cruise control until the playoffs.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is no guarantee he doesn't blow his a out starting. Though, I fully expect the Astros to keep him as a starter unless he fails as a starter with a slight chance he spends a short time in pen if Astros bring in another starter. Even in this scenario, he would move back to starter after first injury. Starters are just worth more and their arms build up more endurance for the playoff run.

16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I agree. An Altuve with a chip on his shoulder(the way it’s been his whole life) is going to be fun for us to watch and spells bad news for the rest of the MLB.

Im looking for a HUGE year from Breggy. A healthy Yordan could be putting up prime “Big Papi” numbers. Tucker having a great 2020 and having the confidence needed at the MLB level is vital.

If Correa also stays healthy and builds on his amazing postseason, to go along with Brantley’s consistency at the plate.... I just see this being an elite offense again.

I may be crazy- but the real x-factor this year could be Pedro Leon- imagine if this dude is the real deal and bursts onto the scene this year AND produces. If that happens, Click is going to deserve some major credit. It may also explain why the Astros have been out on just about any legit big league CF. I think they not only believe in Leon, but feel like he will be up to the big leagues THIS season.

The comments about him being a “very fast riser” and being invited to big league camp is very telling to me.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Astros aren’t out on a CF, I believe. I think it’s gotta be a 1yr deal though and only Pillar and Bradley could be an upgrade. I think it’s more likely Straw though too see how Leon progresses. Maybe find an expiring CF at the deadline if need be.

raining threes likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros interest in Leon predates Click. Luhnow, Putila and Goldstein were all interested in him. In fact the interest was so strong and above the industry standard that when he finally was available the Astros reached out to his agent and arranged a personal and private workout. Putila and others put him through a lengthy workout using special technology and equipment that measured his speed, acceleration, routes to balls and bat speed and exit velocity.

Later that night the Astros met his agents asking price. Other teams that were going to see him do a public workout received texts that Leon would not be working out and had an agreement with the Astros. That is part of why the Astros view on him is very different than the industry and other teams.

Had there not been COVID, there is a good chance he would be competing to be the starting center fielder. He was supposed to sign in July of 2020 and would have had some work in the minors and academy coming into this year.

James Click deserves ZERO credit for Leon.

Also there seems to be this assumption in baseball circles that he is a center fielder. In Cuba he was a corner outfielder with a strong arm. I have no idea if he is capable of playing center in MMP. There isn’t even an agreement on his size as he is listed anywhere from 5’8” through 5’11”.

A lot of scouts did not see enough of his power to rate him high. From what I have been told his power has really developed and the raw bat speed, angle and drive all were excellent for the Astros at the private workout.