1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade targets for rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Meh.

The Rockets should try to trade Gordon, Oladipo, Tucker and House.

I would deal all of those guys for expiring contracts and draft considerations.

Then during the summer use the cap space to sigh John Collins to the max.

That gives you a 4/5 duo of Wood and Collins.

The Rockets would have a front line with a lot of athleticism and mobility. Both can score inside or outside.

Collins is 6'9" with a 6'11" wingspan. I would like him to be a couple inches longer but he is adequately sized. He also is a good defender and blocks shots and rebounds. He can play some small ball center as well.

Both Collins and Wood can shoot 3's as well.

The only real weakness of the duo is that neither of them are great playmakers for their teammates.

Still that would give the Rockets a front court of someone 23 and 25 years old.

Collins is expected to leave as a free agent and doesn't want to be in Atlanta.

That would give the Rockets two potential cornerstones to build around.

The Rockets will likely get a decent draft pick (theirs or Miami) and will have all their future picks to target wings and guards in the draft.

Also, a Wood and Collins duo may not be so good that it keeps the Rockets out of the lottery in 2022 where the top of the lottery is loaded and the Rockets can target a potential franchise guard.

saleem, Deuce, luckyman76 and 2 others like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Given all of the available information online it doesnt take that much time and, for me, the alternative is my day job. Give me the fantasy 10 times out of 10.

Once I identified the teams that I thought would make good partners for the Rockets (contenders who have some young talent on their rosters) I just included those guys that I thought the Rockets would be interested in. Sure, Herro, Anunoby and MPJ were optimistic but they are far outweighed by, what I would call, realtistic targets.

BTW: Precious+Nunn+Iggy/Olynyk or Leonard works

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Isaac, Bamba, Nunn, Markkanen, to name a few.

D-rock likes this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hawks would be an interesting destination for PJ Tucker -- could you trade Tucker and a 1st for Collins at the deadline and have his Bird Rights going into the offseason? It then gives you flexibility to move the others later.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't like either of your potential trades, if you're breaking it into two. This team needs a couple of bigs and another playmaker. Plus whatever you're going to be losing from the trades. If I'm giving up a starting 2, 3, and 4, I probably need another good wing. If I'm not getting those needs met, I want picks. In fact, I'm prioritizing picks if I'm throwing in the towel like that. I don't think we should be trading away House, who's on a favorable contract for a few more years.

The only contenders who can trade away FRPs are Philly and Boston. If we aren't keeping Tucker, Dipo, and McLemore, I'd trade any of them for a package that involves first round picks. I don't really like any of the young talent on Boston except for their untradeable guys. I think Thybulle and Maxey are good players on Phi, and represent value, although I'm not sure they fill a position of need. I'd rather see which one of those two teams feels the need to pull the trigger and add a rotation piece for a title run. I would bet on Philly.

I really like Nook's suggestion of John Collins as a free agency target. I think he moves the needle at PF and is still very young.

I don't really want to improve Miami, since it's likely we get their pick in the upcoming draft.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

Ok, fair enough. I agree with a lot of your points. However, I think you're undervaluing the prospects the Rockets would've getting back.

As for Collins, he's restricted so you had better be ready to make a substantial offer that Atl won't match. I like him but not sure I'm ready to drop that much coin on him given how similar he is to Wood as a wiry big man that can play outside.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Collins wants the max.

So Rockets have to figure out if they want to pay Dipo or pay Collins.

Cant pay both with Wall on roster.

8. hakeemthagreat

It hasn't even been a full half season and you're crying about a direction? Give the man some time. He's already got a A+ getting rid of Westbrook & Harden

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Finally a sane thread. Miami best... give me my Precious/Herro. And MPJr. And Bol Bol would be a lovely pair. Prolly Miami since Oladipo wants to go to Miami. Dream young lineup with wall and wood:

Wall
    Herro
    MPJr.
    Wood
    Bol.

Stretch 5 with a Stretch 4 with defensive capabilities coupled with a really fast PG and a tall SG would be nice...

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

At $28M, I'm actually very down with this in building out the front court with the right young players that fit todays game, give us size, and can grow and fit well together on the court. I think a lot of us have been following Collins. Very smart player and would give us a great defensive foundation if we don't screw it up with wings and distributors. I still think we are a lottery team next year with Collins anyway because of the lack of dominant guards that are needed for 40-45 wins. I think that sets us up with a max salary slot at the end of next year to work with all of our assets.

Fansided suggested a trade that makes no sense to me because of the offseason that Rockets get Collins, Goodwin, Fernando and Hawks get Tucker, Kurucs, and 2022 Mil 1st. It is obvious that he is not happy with Young's ball dominant chucking style and doesn't fit there. If he wants us and we have the money I don't see the difference between now and the summer.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Don't want to trade with Miami right now unless in offseason for trading Wall. Would rather trade with GSW, NYK, and Orlando. Maybe Philly.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

We need to see Wood and Markannen paired up

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

u know good and well u aren’t getting Collins for the corpse of PJ Tucker and some 1st round pick

TEXNIFICENT and sydmill like this.
  14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What does it take? Atlanta doesn't look like they're going to make noise this year, and it looks like they and Collins will be parting ways. He's about to get paid, so you're essentially trading for his RFA rights -- what's a fair price for those?

Best comp is probably the Porzingis trade - young, talented big with warts on the verge of getting a big contract. The Knicks traded Porzingis with a couple of other useful pieces (Burke, Hardaway) for effectively salary filler, Dennis Smith, and 2 future first round picks with protection.

So it depends what ATL wants - but maybe it's Tucker and 2 firsts. Their alternative is to try and work something out with Collins' preferred destination, which will likely require taking back big salary.

15. dmoneybangbang

I'm anti mediocrity treadmill, but John Collins at $28 million is the type of young core that is interesting.

Wall will never live up to that contract, but he has better than I thought and is that type of PG that should fit well with Wall and Collins with a proper offseason.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

AG + Bamba is cheaper than just John Collins.

Both in trade assets and cost to retain.

17. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Dipo or Collins will not get the offer from the Rockets . If Dipo can agree extented contract, he will be traded next season

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why would Dipo.agree to contract extension with Rockets?

He refused that offer with Pacers.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think he will think about a short contract extension if he worry about injuries

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you're guessing then stop responding like its fact.

Dipo came off the same injuries while he was with Pacers too.