1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets can get to another level with one roster tweak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jan 31, 2021.

1. macan

macan Member

House + PJ + a pick for Aaron Gordon?

D-rock and True Rocket like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

And offensively as well.

PJ is still elite at corner 3.

As bad as OP eye test makes him out to be, Tucker is still shooting 39% from 3P for the season while Tate shooting 33% from 3 for the season.

Tate is great, especially during win streak but do not underestimate Tucker's leadership on defense, communication and as a mentor to younger players.

FYI, Tucker was a +4 on the court last night.

3. Sanity2disChaos

You meant BMac... he should be traded. Keep and pay PJ or trade him to a contender if he only request it.

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is actually a positive.

raining threes and HP3 like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Should Rockets get rid of all 3 players with negative net rating then?

HP3 likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

No just the worst one. Wall and Woods net rating get dragged down by playing with PJ too much. Net rating does not account for who the other 9 players are on the court are, rapm and raptor do adjust for teammates and opponents and both stats rate PJ far worse than even just pure net rating. Those two more advanced stats rate him this year as one of the worst players in the entire league (not just merely worst on the team).

7. paboy1984

paboy1984 Member

u woke up at 7 in the morning to post this crap smh.... PJ actually playing great outside if scoring his defense has been great so don't post anything else

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It would be nice if we could trade Wall, but I don’t find that to be very likely until maybe trade deadline of his final year. Wall at 1/3 of his contract I would have no problem having on our team, but that number is hard to build around.

Cousins is a minimum guy at a position we have little depth. Not much to do there.

Tucker is the only one of the 3 I could see being flipped for assets. And it just so happens he’s been our worst contributor so far and it makes sense to trade him if possible.

D-rock likes this.
  9. shlhl

shlhl Member

Who can you replace him for? Are you trying to save Rocket owner money? He actually help to win a couple games (Not reflecting from his statistics)

D-rock likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nah fam I woke up at 5am for the brain storm and rough draft to post it at 7am

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Its reflected in his stats(advanced ones) that he is killing the team. You replace him with air and we instantly get better. Starting lineup House at SF and Tate at his natural position PF.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like it of course.

Magic won't.

macan and raining threes like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hating on PJ is one of the weirdest things. He’s 35, he’s making 8 mill, he plays hard on D, he hits his 3PT shots at a good percentage, he’s a great locker room guy, and he’s expiring.

His minutes should be limited to like 25 a night at his age, I’ll agree with that, but outside of that quit trying to scape goat the dude

14. HROZ

HROZ Member

This is stupid

Tucker is shooting @ 39% from 3.

Sitting him in the corner is fine.
    His guy can't come off him.

Or they're giving a 39% 3pt shooter a wide open look.

Plus we're short on bigs and SFs.
    House & Tate are decent PFs but now ask them to play 35mins at PF against the bigger bodies.

Tate I can see doing it. But he's a rookie and there's no reason to ask him to do it

House won't be able to.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  15. HROZ

HROZ Member

I really got no time for Tucker haters.

He's still a good player in the league.

Look at how many teams asked PJ when they thought he was on the he block.

He's old and I can see why we aren't offering him an extension after the Paul / Gordon misplays.

But to act like he shouldn't be starting is something else.

raining threes, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I have not been a fan of PJ tucker lately, but the players all seem to think he is vital, and coach is playing him these minutes for a reason. He does not owe anyone on this roster a thing, and he chooses to play PJ. PJ is a sort of glue guy, and if the goal is to make the playoffs, you need one guy who has experience in the West playoffs and a veteran leader. The only other guy is Eric Gordon, and he is not that type of leader, he is a good vet to have, but I do not think he is as vocal as PJ. If you trade PJ you risk your entire team falling apart after a stretch of a few bad games.

D-rock likes this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He might be the reason for slow starts somewhat but they could be worse. Tucker always grabs the hardest player to guard. I think to judge PJ Tucker you have to look at what his opposing player's +/- looks like when guarded by the rest of the NBA and versus him. I would assume that would be a net positive. So even if PJ looks like a -1, the player he's guarding is a +1 but against the rest of the NBA they average say +8. That would show his ability to slow the best players in the league.

It's like this player X that Tucker is guarding kills the NBA, but against PJ he just barely wins. I think that's a good thing. He's slowing down their offensive production and forcing teams to beat us another way. Once they go that other way, that's when we get our advantage.

Os Trigonum and raining threes like this.
  18. minis9

minis9 Member

Approved

19. minis9

minis9 Member

how many of those minutes are with Harden though? I’d imagine Tucker/wood/wall played with harden the most when he was still with us?how does it look post harden trade?

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

HP3 likes this.