1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo..............Not seeing it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jiggyfly, Jan 27, 2021.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I knew I recognized that move. It's the same move Sidney Dean got burned on for game point. Go Back to Sea World.

CXbby, Dgn1, vator and 2 others like this.
  2. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Wrong. Nets sucking this year does everything for the Rockets - it hastens the departure of Durant and Harden, who are in win now mode and will want to find destinations where they can win. Then their fanbase will turn on Kyrie, who will inevitably leave as well and then all their draft picks will be ours. So yes, I am rooting hard against the Nets from now till 2027.

Richie_Rich, Mr Woods, CXbby and 3 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Nice, very nice.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Well I dont see it that way. I see it is our second best franchise player finally winning a ring. He can win this year, they can lose next year and you'll get the same results. And if they decide to blow it up early, they literally have assets in Durant, Irving and Harden to rebuild and get assets or whatever. And then its not totally great for us. Nets arent as screwed as you would think. They are a smart organization and those picks arent guaranteed to be good even if they blow it up(which is why I didnt like the deal to begin with). But we'll see, I hope they suck too eventually(just not this year). Either way, Harden winning this year has no direct expense to the Rockets. So yea, Im fine rooting for him. And I dont care to be called a bad fan for wishing our former players success. So stop with this stuff.

5. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

I'm fine with you rooting for him - that is the point of watching basketball. Not really my place to tell you you can't root for whomever or not, I'm not the thought police. We get attached to certain players, like how I loved watchin Scola on the Rockets and have followed him ever since.

That being said, I'm just pointing out that there is absolutely great utility to the Rockets in seeing the Nets fail. My personal perspective is yes, even if that means watching a guy I used to root for fail, then so be it. And your point about assets in Durant, Irving and Harden, no one ever gets a similar package back of talent when they trade a star, it usually is a package of good players plus picks. That is especially true if Harden and Durant publicly want out / quit. So that would likely mean that their regular season win rate would take a hit, which is fantastic for us from a team building perspective.

So anyway long story short, yes I'm justifying my perspective in wanting the Nets to fail, and you are free to root for whomever you want, but I'd suggest that you don't have to tell people that we should be grateful for Harden's contributions or that we should wish him the best because we can all have different perspectives.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Smh. No. If he wants to come back in a couple years and win with us then ok. But I am rooting for everyone but the nets until he leaves. His exit was not ideal. I was his biggest fan imo

ElDobleK and Nelly like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

And thats okay. You have a right to be mad at him. He acted like an ass.

Astrodome likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Right, that's fine. I havent said that. I was responding to that poster who called me a bad fan because I am rooting for Harden to win. We are in in agreement. Regarding the Nets, the reason i say Im cool with them winning now and losing later is because, them losing next year, would maybe allow Harden to excercize his player option, leaving them more screwed with no assets to rebuild. Them realzing its not going to work early, may make them not as good in the short term but they will likely have sustained mediocre success that will likely lead to a low draft pick.

Scola Scoops likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That he is a max player and a guy to build around?

Nope?

He is looking better but still does not look like a cornerstone piece.

Look dude this is not about saying Oladipo is a scrub, it's about signing him long term as a piece that will help us when a championship and at more than 25 per I still don't see it do you?

vator and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Seeing that he is a max player and someone to build around?

What exactly are you seeing?

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Do I think a 20+ ppg SG who plays elite defense is worth the max? Yes. Do I think we can build a championship caliber team around Wood and Oladipo? Yes.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Cool I disagree and history agrees more with me than you.

13. Houston77

Supporting Member

Considering your “history” is arguing that Gordon is better than Oladipo, I’m not overly concerned about how you view history.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I never said Gordon is better than Oladipo I said he is playing better and has been better getting to the basket better this season.

And their career numbers are remarkably similar and Gordon has been the 3rd option for about 5 years and he does everything about as well as Oladipo but you don't want give him max money do you?

vator likes this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You’re dreaming bro. Oladipo ain’t that guy plus he wants to be elsewhere. He’ll be a free agent at the end of the year.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i mean Wood's contract allows us to pay Oladipo but only for the next 2 years. Maybe we can front load it?

17. Houston77

Supporting Member

Their numbers are pretty different. When healthy, Oladipo recently has averaged 21 - 22 ppg, whereas Gordon is more like a 16 - 17 ppg guy despite both players playing 30+ mpg. The fact that Gordon is a bench guy boosts this average since he's the #1 option against lesser rotations and still plays a ton of minutes. Also, while Gordon is a plus defender, Oladipo has been in conversation for DPY.

Look, I love Gordon. I'll be the first to defend him on this board. But the difference between Gordon and Oladipo is the difference between Gordon's contract and max money.

18. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

My bad then for assuming that you had been saying those stuff. Maybe I got mixed up with other more pro Harden posters as well on this board. I consider Harden to be a player to likely be great long into his thirties because his game ages well... so I hope he finds a reason to leave the Nets soon.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'm seeing he's a fit this year for this team right now. Two way player that has star ability.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  20. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Thank god Oladipo has turned the corner and is looking like his former self!

He’s been looking hella good after a horrid start (aside from his first game)! This does three things, makes our team good, facilitates a trade with another team, makes it worthwhile to re-sign or sign and trade him in the off-season!

Go Oli!

D-rock likes this.