1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Or just use KN95 or one of those x95. 95 for 95% eff.

2. SuraGotMadHops

This is where we're headed..

[​IMG]

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I got the second Pfizer vaccine yesterday, surprisingly very few side effects. For the most part just injection site soreness beginning about 12 hours afterwards and nothing else. No fever or anything else that are supposed to be very common with the 2nd shot.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is efficiency the right word? Isn't it effectiveness?

Also, does that mean that one cloth mask is around 55% efficient?

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Good news. Even with a lot of people feeling crummy after the shots, you are still more likely to have no side effects (other than a sore arm) that to have them.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Am I the only person that's been wearing a disposable mask under my cloth mask the whole time? You can't even see it.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope that's where you're headed.

8. KingCheetah

I got a K&N cold air intake for max horsepower.

RKREBORN and JumpMan like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

You first. The bag itself would improve your appearance.

10. KingCheetah

no u

11. Buck Turgidson

What color hat prevents Covid?

Commodore likes this.
  12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

For real lol...It's the new s t d, and everyone has it!

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is one of the next vaccines that could get approved in the US :

Novavax says Covid vaccine is more than 89% effective

From the the article, if you don't want to click :
    • Biotech firm Novavax said Thursday that its coronavirus vaccine was more than 89% effective in protecting against Covid-19.
    • The study also found that the vaccine appeared to be 85.6% effective against the U.K. variant, also known as B.1.1.7.
    • A separate phase two study in South Africa showed that the vaccine isn’t nearly as effective against a new strain ravaging that country.

The results were based on 62 confirmed Covid-19 infections among the trial’s 15,000 participants. The company said 56 cases were observed in the placebo group versus six cases observed in the group that received its vaccine. That resulted in an estimated vaccine efficacy of 89.3%, it said.

The study also found that the vaccine appeared to be 85.6% effective against the U.K. variant, also known as B.1.1.7. A separate phase two study in South Africa showed that the vaccine isn’t nearly as effective against a new strain ravaging that country.

The shot was still considered effective in protecting against the virus, but at an efficacy rate of just 49.4% among 44 Covid-19 cases in South Africa, where 90% of the cases contain the troubling new variant, the company said.

It’s unclear if the data Thursday will be enough for Novavax to be given an emergency use authorization by the Food and Drug Administration that would allow the distribution in the U.S. The company began a late-stage trial with 30,000 people in the U.S. and Mexico in late December.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well I caught covid. I was having cold/allergy type symptoms for about a week prior to Monday and then on Monday I lost my sense of smell so I scheduled a test for the next day. After that I've been dealing with body aches, low grade fever, and sleepiness/fatigue. The thing that threw me off is I never really had any covid type symptoms leading up to Monday. It certainly could have been both allergies and then covid, but I tend to think it wasn't because my gf was on pretty much the same timeline as me with cold type symptoms and then covid style symptoms. I haven't really had much of a cough either. The coughs I did have were mostly in the cold symptom stage and it was a wet cough which isn't normally associated with covid.

The only thing that sucks with all this is my gf had covid in March 2020. She had a positive test and lost her sense of smell but overall she said it was mild back then. So reinfections are certainly a thing and we have no clue what type of strain this is.

Overall, I think I'm on the recovery side and I think my fever is gone. I know people hate the comparison, but I'd have to compare it to a flu type infection.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Good to hear it wasn’t worse than that. Get well soon

robbie380 and malakas like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Get well. You got a mild covid case, which has many of the symptoms of a flu.

Among my family and friend that got covid recently, 1 died (60s) two days ago. Another (60s) isn’t likely to make it. Another (40, very fit) started with a mild case that turned severe after day 6 and lasted through day 12. Now on his way to recovery. Everyone else (9) had mild cases, two of whom are in their 70s. Both the 70s tested positive about 8 days after their 1st vaccine shots. One went through monoclonal antibodies treatment. I assumed the vaccine and treatment kept their illness mild. 3 (kids) didn’t have any symptoms.

robbie380 likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Fairly good result for J&J. Further evidence that the S.Africa variant is the one to watch out for.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-29/j-j-single-dose-vaccine-provides-strong-shield-against-covid-19

In the more than 44,000-person study, the vaccine prevented 66% of moderate to severe cases of Covid-19, according to a company statement on Friday. And it was particularly effective at stopping severe disease, preventing 85% of severe infections and 100% of hospitalizations and deaths.

Based on the result, J&J plans to file for an emergency-use authorization in the U.S. in early February. The drug giant’s top scientist said this month that he expects a clearance in March, and that it would have product ready to ship then. The company didn’t specify how much of the vaccine would be available immediately, though it reaffirmed that the U.S. would receive 100 million doses in the first half of the year.

J&J’s results produced more evidence that the variants will be harder to ward off. In the U.S., where mutations aren’t thought to be as widespread, the vaccine was 72% effective. But in South Africa, where a variant called B.1.351 is circulating widely, it was only 57% effective. And the shot was 66% effective in Latin America.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yeah, and still no data on if a second dose helps or not. These numbers higher than the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine after a single dose.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is protection for the B.1.351 S.Africa variant, just less. Moderna is planning Phase 1 trial with a booster shot customized for that variant.

Moderna to study vaccine booster aimed at coronavirus variant | BioPharma Dive

Not sure if this is the trial: Moderna to Start New Trial Adding Third Shot of COVID-19 Vaccine | 2021-01-20 | FDAnews