1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. conquistador#11

Kind of have to admire how 'patriots way' has bombed franchises into submission.
    It'll work! Maybe just maybe having the greatest qb to strap on a pair of uggs had something to do with that.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nice start for Caserio.

Lol

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Keep eating the same meals everyday Nick - you got this

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same Spencer Tillman who calls out “nice!” St the beginning of most plays even when the running back gets stopped 3 yards behind the line? Or who said a conservative ground game is the way to win in the NFL?

9. conquistador#11

Spencer Tillman thinks every player in a preseason is a diamond.
    He's a positive attitude guy always has been. When he talks about his championship days with the 49ers, I thought he had done some good things in their playoff runs. I went back to nflreference and it just showed a bunch of 0/0/0/0/0s. That was a couple of seasons ago.

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

As Texans fans we're obviously jaded with what our team was to what it's become. But we have slowly forgotten how we didn't have any cap room, and somehow turned that into tons of short 1-year vet deals.

I won't go anywhere near this being the best GM job in the last decade, but I can say for sure in January I thought we were looking at 0-16 and now I feel comfortable with saying we could win 6-7 games. No cap room, or 1st or 2nd round pick.... I think it was pretty good.

Plus if Deshaun somehow plays for us this season (big IF, I know) we could easily hover around 8 wins.

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction to week 1 this has been my take from the start.

Nick Caserio was a hell of a hire.

Came into this off-season with no money no draft picks flipped the roster all the way upside down made lots of savy trades.

It’s going to take time but Caserio knows what he’s doing and he is going to build a true winner here in Houston.

The team has an identity now and has really embraced the true meaning of TEAM.

In Caserio we trust.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

We beat the worst team (statistically) from a season ago. And they started a rookie QB who didn't look great in the preseason, either. Also, we were at home. Also, even though Lawrence had 3 INTs, he also had 3 TDs against our defense.

I appreciate your positivity after a win, but praising Caserio as of right now is like...oh...proclaiming how Stone is better than Morey after only one solid offseason.

Imagine the Rockets sweeping their season series (of 2 games) against Detroit this upcoming season, and then saying how Stone is amazing solely due to those 2 games. That's what your post is like.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Morey think Simmons is worth a F ton right now when the rest of the league doesn't feel that way and no way Morey would have had the draft haul Stone did

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Just going off what was said above.. “Came into this off-season with no money no draft picks flipped the roster all the way upside down made lots of savy trades.” With that alone I don’t understand why bring up beating the worst team last year statically have to do with what Nick did this off-season. You actually see a structure of building a team for the future that we didn’t have in the past. That alone he deserves credit for.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Exactly and I even said this has been my take from the start look at the poll.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Check the poll this has been my take from the start.

My post has absolutely nothing to do about week 1.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Poster bumped this thread, trying to get his point across after the Jaguars got demolished. If the week 1 score was reversed, guarantee you the poster wouldn't have come into this thread to extol Caserio's offseason transactions. Also, how else are you going to gauge how a GM is doing, if not for the games they actually play? Transactions from "flipping the roster" can look "savvy" on paper, but until you get on that field, it's all theory.

I'm not saying this team has to beat the best teams for Caserio to look good. But I can already see overreactions happening based on this one game.

Texans played their first game well. But there's 16 more to go.

At this point, Caserio is better than what BoB did as GM. But anything smells better than the smelliest poop that was 'BoB the GM.'

He has to think that way - it's literally his job to try and get as much value out of what he has. It's also not like Simmons is some washed up vet scrub. Dude hasn't hit his prime, is still one of the best defensive players in the league and a really good playmaker. Just can't shoot. A young Draymond Green who can be the primary playmaker/ballhandler is worth a lot.

Morey has never been in a position to draft so high because his teams have never been at the bottom.

Your two examples have nothing to do with anything.

18. dmoneybangbang

From a cap/financial POV, you can actually squint and see an amorphous blob of a NFL team. I mean that in a good way considering the baffling and maddening years under BOB.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I have a feeling if we had Nick a couple years back this Deshaun Watson bullshit wouldn’t be happening right now

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

There's no way he would have got that haul we did; he's never been about the draft anyway, trading first after first.Outside of Clint, I can't really think of another pick he really really hit on

As for evaluating Simmons, I mean come on:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/w...riors-rejected-absurd-ben-simmons-trade-offer

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-phillys-massive-trade-package-for-ben-simmons-rejected/