1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s Talk Potential: The Young Guns: 25 and Under

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's nice to see young guys without expectations play and develop. But we have to keep things in perspective. Players like this always look better on teams that aren't so great. I really like Stone and the org's eye for talent. It certainly bodes well for the future. ( just think what he'll do with first rounders)Especially when you have the right coach also.
    Wood is obviously the real deal and shouldn't be going anywhere. He'll get bigger/stronger...and his game will improve moving forward.
    KPJ, of course has all the physical tools to be a starter in this league, but needs help mentally/growing up.Still a long shot, but worth a try for sure.

Out of the other guys...Brown and Jones have a decent chance to stick here or somewhere else.

We don't have any threes, so obviously Tate's going to look better than what we have.

Martin might make it, but he has no shot..from downtown...or midrange.

#61 Plowman, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    snowconeman22 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

KJ Martin could be our next KJ McDaniels

3. dmoneybangbang

Only Wood has legit star potential, while the rest are varying degrees of roles players and possibly super role players. I think Tate is next line since he has such a diverse skill set and size; decent handles, decent vision, good bball IQ, with a strong body.

4. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

If the pandemic ends and everyone runs to vegas and restaurants by then we will be ok to pay their salary.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

But would be willing to beat out offers made by other teams? Woods will be 28 and so will Tate? If you were in there shoes, you would want to get the most money possible, no?

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why do you say this? The whole “Tilman is cheap” rhetoric is getting absurd and tiresome. He’s always paid stars.

If Wood keeps playing like he is, Tilman gives him the max. Book it.

crimsonghost likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Tate wont be a star and will be wanting to get paid(he'll be 28)....and will Tillman be willing beat out other offers....will Tate want to stay on a non contending team? Its doubtful. I dont even know that it will be smart to sign him. Tate is the type of player who is useful to a championship contender.

He shouldnt really get the max because he's not the number one guy on a championship team. I dont belive that. I dont believe he will be better than AD, KAT, Jokic, Embid. He also doesnt have the defensive impact of Rudy Gobert. That is my opinion. And Woods will be asking for the max, he will be 28 years old.

8. Houston77

Supporting Member

Tate is TBD. Wood, however, is already playing like a star. He's putting up numbers comparable to those guys you listed.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

To AD, Embid, and Jokic? Have you seen what those guys are doing? They are head and shoulders above him.

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

If they are head and shoulder above, why don’t their stats show it?

11. HP3

HP3 Member

12. Houston77

Supporting Member

13. HP3

HP3 Member

They don. Jokic has never been a great defender, its not hard to beat him in that aspect. Offensively though, Jokic has a case for being best in the league right now. Him and Woods are on different planes of existence offensively.

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, different planes = 2 extra points per game? I’ll take the 23 ppg guy who plays better defense.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Cmon man .

doesn’t jokic average near double digit assists ?

HP3 likes this.
  16. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’m not saying Jokic isn’t better now on offense. But the point is this is Wood’s first year as a full time starter and is averaging 23/10 while playing solid D. To downplay his performance is crazy.

HP3 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay...let me explain, Jokic is averaging what like 21 PPG right, but he's doing it on like 64 TS% , that's a a pretty big gap in efficiency for Woods who has like a 60 TS%(which is good still). Jokic is safe to say is vastly more efficient scorer. Jokic is also....he's a top 2 passer in the league and I mean that when I say it, he's that good. He's everything for the Nuggets right now. Like the stats I gave you show that his impact not only dwarfs Woods but he's also better than pretty much everyone in the league right now offensively. Im not trying to down play Woods but Jokic...is different man. Woods can be a great player, but...I just have a hard time seeing him as better than Jokic.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

not downplaying it , but still Jokic is in a different league right now. ( at least offensively) . Part of that is that hes had 5 years as a full time starter. Wood hasnt really PROVEN anything yet. He's got a lot of potential and has put up some good numbers. He's also had some pretty bad games.

Truthfully is wood a top 15-20 frontcourt player yet ? I dont think so

HP3 likes this.
  19. Houston77

Supporting Member

Top 15? Easily.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Never tank. Always compete.

HP3 likes this.