1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood red flags?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Dec 30, 2020.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Milwaukee also really liked him and he was really developing at that point and by all accounts was a very hard worker. But his 3 point shot wasn't there yet and Milwaukee had to waive him to make room to sign a guard because of injuries. Giannis was not happy about it. Obviously, Milwaukee wouldn't have done it if they fully knew what they had.

Reeko likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ll never truly know exactly what they were thinking...to me it’s mainly a terrible organization making yet another bad decision

if it was a good organization that had the Christian Wood we saw towards the end of last season and didn’t give a him a good offer then I’d wonder why, but an org like Detroit can’t get the benefit of the doubt from me that they’re logical...maybe they just thought he was simply overrated

he did have some issues earlier in his career, but I don’t see them currently being an issue now...he said he finally woke up after getting cut in China, and it does seem to be the case...he doesn’t seem lazy, immature, or to not take the game seriously anymore to me...to me, if there’s a red flag or anything like that at this point in time, it’s his defensive awareness

jiggyfly and roslolian like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not overheated I'm just saying you are the one all over the place. You don't seem to understand what a red flag or what a legitimate question is.

I didn't say all character issues have been answered I'm saying the red flags about Wood have been answered. First you claim character issues will pop up if his shot doesn't fall now you are saying his homeboys might get into his ear. What's the evidence for character issues popping up if he struggles or his homeboys are gonna go to his ear? If there's no precedence of both things happening before how is that a red flag? Things that happen out of the blue aren't red flags lol. For example Zion getting injured in college, that's a red flag. But Brandon Ingram suddenly getting blood clots that's not a red flag cuz you had no idea he had that condition. Detroit didn't let Wood go because they were afraid his homeboys were gonna get to his ear I'm 100% sure of that.

We don't know what the future will hold, Wood can end up dying tom ala Len Bias. But the risk of his homeboy going into Wood's ear like Kawhi is not a red flag cuz it is unfounded speculation. Are there stories of Wood's homeboys going into his ear and telling him to become a scrub now that he got his money? If not then I don't see how that's a red flag or even a legitimate question. A legit question is something a hard nosed reporter will ask Wood after the game. You think a reporter will ask him about his homeboys after the dude just put up 23 and 10? If you want a legit question it would be something like being able to put on weight to better defend bigs in the paint.

At the end of the day we got Wood on a steal contract. We don't need him to be a superstar at that deal we just need him to be an average starter cuz that's really all a 13.5M contract is worth. Hell Eric Gordon makes 18M a year. I dunno what kind of red flag you think Wood has that would make signing him a mistake.

#123 roslolian, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am curious because I want to know if we can depend on him moving forward and can he be a cornerstone player.

I have no idea why this bothers people so much and it's especially troubling that we are now putting him in the all star game.

Even he has admitted he has had issues have you never seen anybody start doing dumb stuff again once they think they have it made, it's not like we are talking about when he was a teenager.

So yeah there is a point to asking what his issues actually are I also hope that they are really behind them but what happens if he is not getting enough shots or his defense starts affecting winning and his time gets cut?

So know do you see why I am curious?

ROCK3TM4N likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The character issues are the red flag, what are you talking about?

The bold part shows you don't have a clue about how players circles can lead them astray and how that is a legitimate question.

Did we just forget about what Happened to House last year after he learned his lesson?

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

There are many types of character issues. What "character issue" do you think is a red flag for Wood specifically?

Exactly, House got his money and relaxed. Wood got his money and balled out of his mind. How is that a red flag for Wood when he shows he is worth more than what he is making? I don't understand what your point is bro. The fact that Wood is averaging 23 and 10 shows its not a red flag for him.

How can Wood being House 2.0 be a red flag when the dude is averaging 23 and 10? It might be a red flag before he started playing, but it's not a red flag now cuz his current productions showed he worked hard and didn't relax when he got his money.

rockbox and Patience like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The fact that you think him playing well means he can't revert to what he as done in the past shows you are out of touch.

The fact that you think 4 games into the season means anything is especially troubling.

I am out because you are making it seem that I hope Wood does not do well and nothing can be farther from the truth.

Good day sir

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

What has Wood done in the past? Not work hard on his game? He already did the work in the summer man. He can't undo the work he did on his body unless he suddenly stops working out and starts eating at McD's every game.

4 games into the season is all you need for some red flags. For Luka Doncic for example 4 games all you need to see if he would translate into the NBA. That's his red flag would he be too slow and unathletic to play in the NBA? Obviously the answer is NO, you answered that his first official game in the NBA.

4 games isn't the proof for Wood's red flag, it's the work he put in the offseason. The 4 games are just a product of the work he put in the summer. It's just a byproduct of the process he went through. Wood can play like crap the next 10 games and he still answered the red flags regarding his maturity, dedication and work ethic. Cuz if he still had those character issues then he wouldn't have spent the summer working on his game and trying to be better.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No I am genuinely confused now. Why do you even want to know if he's ready to be a cornerstone player 4 games into the season. He's literally signed for 3 years at a cheap $14 MM a year. It's not like he's up for extension next week and the Rockets are contemplating whether to
    to offer him a super max.

As I said, if the issue was a major issue, we would hear details by now instead of a murmur of a passing comment on a random podcast. Again he's locked up for 3 years for cheap, he's going to be playing major minutes, red flags or no red flags it's going to be what he does on the court talking.

I think it bothers people because right now it's literally mindless speculation, and it will be mindless speculation unless he actually does someting stupid at which point we will find out if has issues. What answers are you looking for exactly at this point, you want Clutchfans to guess his off court problem based on nothing? Here I will put in my vote that he has a alcohol problem, let's discuss that.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you don't care if we have the pieces to be a contender?

What he signed for and how long means nothing in this scenario, its well known that he has had issues he admitted to them himself it's hardly mindless speculation and the reason we got him so cheap.

I have no idea why you make it seem I am creating these questions from whole cloth they have been wideley reported and are the reason we were able to sign him.

With that said I am only curious but am willing to take him at his word but also realize that it could also not be all roses and honey.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he's so frail that it seems like he takes some nights off battling for rebounds. (probably cuz he's bruised up from the night before)

boy needs to go on a good ole fashioned houstonian diet plan. anyone got a gift card to ninfas?

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Does not run back hard on defense. Got beat repeatedly down the court (not always his fault, shooter can't shoot and run back if his guy leaks).

tochiee22 likes this.
  13. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Some red flags I noticed after a couple games.. maybe it’s just bad habits but fixable in my opinion

Fouls too much.. reaches and makes contact most of the times. Some bad calls, but why put yourself in that position

Doesn’t box out well.

takes some bad shots from time to time. I know he can prob make some of them, but still.

lastly, stops with the ball too much. Entices double teams and gets us down on the shot clock.

overall, still has plenty room to improve

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He has some work to do, and the idea that we can't be curious about the rumored off-court issues because he's played well in 4 games is absurd.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That last point with stopping the ball. It seems to me he becomes really indecisive when the team isos out for him. He often stands in one position confused on whether he should do the quick jumper or try to drive in and then the defense collapses on him which often can lead to a turnover ad Wood currently is bad at passing out of doubles.

He has to be more confident in his post game and iso game to the point where he makes quick decisions.

He also needs to add a lot of meat because he just can't get good post positioning and is always pushed out by the defender when he tries to post up. That means at this point he should worry about making the quick move rather than backing down a player.

tochiee22 and ElPigto like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He needs to bulk up. I look at his struggle post ups and think to myself Tucker probabaly gives him the business on defense during practice. Chuck wagon would shut him down.

I’m happy to have him though. He was o e of the few bright spots last night against Dallas. The kid is a bucket . Hopefully he’s not close tent and keeps developing. He’s like LMA-lite

fchowd0311 and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those are not really red flags to me, I just want him to continue to work hard and not get the big head and start slacking.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Y'a think?

Talk about a blast from the past, where you been?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will take 23 and 10 all day long.

DD

clos4life and palmsnbananas like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is this beating around the bush? What were his issues?

Is he an alcoholic like Ty Lawson? A domestic abuser? Pothead? Is he just lazy and has a low motor?

Who are his homeboys? They dangerous?

Does he push prostitutes off the bridge cuz that would be worrisome.

#140 daywalker02, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021