1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

What part of Central Texas? Austin Regional Clinic is starting to offer vaccines to 1b. I've told some older family members to get on a request list.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

They are doing entire facilities, including staff(janitors/dining/valet/etc. my mom got hers on the 29th at her independent living facility —Bayou Manor in Meyerlands. Walgreens sent 4 nurses. Roughly 400 elderly and staff. They get their second one on the 19th.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Williamson County.

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Austin Regional Clinic and HEB will probably be their best bets. From what I've heard, Wilco is doing bad at their vaccine rollout. Travis County has vaccinated lots of people. HEBs are getting maybe dozens of doses a time, so it's hard to get an appointment.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.facebook.com/FMROT/

It was out in Dripping Springs. My dad was really impressed how smooth it went and said he was easily the oldest person there.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Try Scott and White clinics and NexCare (sp?).

Belongs in the "Humanity is Doomed" thread.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You can be arrested for having vaccines in Williamson County.

jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My dad had no side effects from the vaccine so that was good news.

I really feel like we should just follow the UK plan and blast thru as many of the doses as possible to anyone who will take it and not worry about the 2nd dose for the time being. Maybe if the US approves the Oxford vaccine like UK and India have and doesn't wait until April like they said then that will basically end Covid for the US. There doesn't seem to be any negatives to mixing companies for the 1st and 2nd doses and there might possibly be benefits.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

[​IMG]

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nuts how random this virus is. Me and my wife got it a week after thanksgiving and we came out ok. I had no symptoms other than a runny nose and my wife lost her taste and smell. I know a heathy 50 year old and he's in the hospital. Scary stuff. Hope everyone gets the vaccine.

MadMax likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@malakas

Israel doing work.

13% population vaccinated with the first dose.

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Seems like... we are having a hard time figuring out how to get distributed vaccines into our arms. Am I the only one frustrated with the lack of a comprehensive government plan in rolling out these vaccines?

13. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Dr. Gottlieb on CNBC said since we've basically covered medical personnel and nursing homes, we should quit trying to be so exact in who gets it next and just blast it out through every channel we have to everyone that wants it. At this point its better to get shots into ANY arm rather than certain arms.

14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

EHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This is where is comes down to the states and counties. Remember we had this federal/CDC plan to give healthcare workers priority and it seems that a large percentage of them have turned down the vaccine. That prioritization I'm guessing is what is holding back larger numbers vaccinations for the time being. It would be good if the CDC changed their guidance.

I think as long as it is getting distributed then that's all that really matters. It is a bit clunky for this initial start, but we are up to 15.5 million doses distributed which is about 2.3 million more than yesterday. That would mean it would take about 80 more days to distribute the remaining 185 million doses from Moderna and Pfizer if we keep this rate up. That seems pretty good to me.

Astrodome and B-Bob like this.
  16. BleedsRocketRed

Thats literally my girlfriend right now. Runny nose, headache and no taste and smell. Hell, shes been doing Peleton work outs daily both on the bike and tread mill. Its literally not worse than a head cold. Then some people are put on ventilators. Its crazy.

How long did it take you two to recover?

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine, if it has good efficacy, will probably be the game changer in the next 45-60 days. If it works and is safe, a one shot vaccine that is easy to give through normal vaccination channels will really move the needle.

robbie380 and B-Bob like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

For me? Less than a week but for her, about 10 days to feel 100%. Don't know if it's a difference in strains but I had no lower respiratory symptoms at all. Pure head stuff.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Important point because the issue seems to be the local distribution channels having to have too much control over the doses. The comparison would be the US treasury literally storing the money you have in a social security physical box where the money workers are paying isn't able to be used for the older Americans who need it, and other social services that rely on the cashflow of workers paying out to the treasury in real time.

I think the vaccine distribution should be working more like a FEMA response team would act after a natural disaster, and use the US military to quickly deploy vaccination units almost overnight in the US like we all know they are capable of doing. The US military, under the defense production act, could quickly develop a card system for ticketing much like you would do for tracking tickets through Live Nation or Ticketmaster manage vaccine inventory by "tickets sold" etc. The tickets are tied to your personal SS number but it's not something that has to be tracked and managed in real time which would slow down the process. It gets entered in the database at your first vaccine, and then just simply tracks when you've had your second dose so people don't give their card to someone else for a 3rd dose on the same SS#.

This shouldn't be that hard. I'm convinced the only reason why Biden isn't planning on doing this (and he still might) is because of conspiracy theories from the right who will jump all over "THE MILITARY" being deployed, and tie it to the mark of the beast prophecies so the religious right all the other lunatics freak out.

But yes it's the fragmented and confusing controls of this process at the local level that seem to be gumming up the system. The J&J single dose vaccine would help out tremendously.

CometsWin likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm on day 12 today, and feel about 90%. The main thing is a burning in my lungs, urge to cough, and can't smell a thing which doesn't really bother me, but just bizarre. Otherwise feeling 1000% better. I started feeling better on day 10 when I could tell my body started acting like it normally would when I got a cold, and then had more normal immune responses.

I think the thing for people to realize is that the Covid symptoms can be.... not that bad really... but at the same time scary as F. Your body is doing some weird stuff in those days before your body can start creating a proper immune response, and now knowing the virus firsthand I can see how it can go south quick.

TWS1986 likes this.