1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a complaint but an observation: Harden is still playing analytic ball aka MoreyBall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Dec 27, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I quoted that dude about not engaging with you....that's it. You then quoted me. Please....just have some respect for yourself.

Smh, ad hominem again. My guy...just get some help, go talk to someone.Im done dude.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

@HP3 , that’s a years worth of ignoring you I’m paying you back for.

you’re gonna do a couple of things.

Sign up at pearland, Clearlake, or wherever for city ball, enroll in a night time stats class and you have my word here ill fit the bill when you give me the receipt. It doesn’t get any easier than that I promise you. I’m doing what you, nobody around you has had the courtesy of doing for you.

3. Pete the Cheat

while I am only a part time observer these days I have to say you have for over a decade come off as an enormous douschebag and completely derail threads over your own ego.
    But you do you...carry on

jiggyfly, LosPollosHermanos and HP3 like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

This is sad. If you genuinely think Im upset at any of this, Im not. Im just embarrassed talking to someone like you.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Sorry If I played into his ego. I will stop engaging with him.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dude I literally gave you a blank check to prioritize education and EC activities, how are you gonna paint me in a negative light?

Our boy Jim has been putting people at treasures through school in a similar fashion..

#206 LosPollosHermanos, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Taking a shot that you can't hit isn't a good shot. It doesnt matter if you are open or not.

So I'll ask again. Is a wide open 3 a good shot for Ben Simmons?

If you think that you see what happens more accurately than a multimillion dollar camera system in NBA arenas.

It makes it convenient to say the NBA cameras are inaccurate but do you have any proof of that?

HP3 likes this.
  8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

This is beating a dead horse. Guess I'm not really understanding the logic here when you say "Taking a shot that you can't hit isn't a good shot. It doesnt matter if you are open or not." Since the mid range shot is an easier shot to make than the three ball because it's closer. I have explained my position about taking open shots several times in this thread. If you disagree with my basketball philosophy then you just disagree. No harm no foul. I answered your Ben Simmons question already in the post you are quoting. Many good teams still utilize the mid range shot, including the team that just beat us last night, and a "guy" that so many CF posters think would be an acceptable trade for James Harden in Jamal Murray. Let's just agree to disagree. I'm sure I'm not going to change your mind about this topic and you're not going to change mine either. No point in discussing this anymore, let's just move on.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

PJ Tucker, Trevor Ariza, Eric Gordon and Clint Capela, and James Harden. Who do you want taking a pull up two LOL? Tell me which player? James Harden was already the sole focus of the defense. It's highly doubtful that Golden State defense would have adjusted their strategy because THEY WANT YOU TO TAKE THAT SHOT. It was not clutch time when we lost the lead to Golden State, it was in the third quarter. And it was at least a 3 possession game. For most of the 4th quarter it was more than 9 points, it wasnt single digits. At one point, it was 13 points. So again, tell me how would mid range would have helped that game.

10. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

It never gets old for you does it?

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Im talking to you because you seem reasonable, explain it to me.

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Read what I just told the last guy today before your post or my many other posts in this thread. I'm tired of debating this. You don't agree with me and I don't agree with your points. It's cool...

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

This is what you said.
    I'm just going off of what you say here. What "adjustments" did you want? At 6:20 it was a13 point game. Who do you want getting a mid range jump shot? I know we disagree but...I'm not seeing the alternative here?

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yo , we handing out free stats classes ?

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

If the stats class would only have me on that dude's level by the end of it LOL then I dont want it.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

All your background in stats and you ignore some very basic fundamentals that I believe even Morey acknowledges about the weaknesses of 3>2 philosophy. The main one is 3>2 is "more" true as the sample size increases and has far more variance as the sample size decreases. Just like a 50/50 coin will eventually result in 50% heads and 50% tails given a long enough amount of trial runs. The smaller the amount of trials the higher chance of you having a lopsided result like 5 tails in a row.

That means in close game situations in the 4th, 3>2 becomes signficantly less effective. The best shot available becomes the most efficient shot as time left on the game clock approaches zero.

#216 fchowd0311, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Htown's Finest likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Have I ever told you differently?

18. fchowd0311

Yes you have. Plenty of times through the implication of scoffing at any mid range attempts as if they are jokes.

And the way Harden and the Rockets handle the 4th quarter of tight games the past few seasons, they pretend like this aspect of probability doesn't exist and continue to spam bad three point attempts in tight games in the 4th and is a large reason why this team just looses so many leads late in games.

#218 fchowd0311, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Literally said this to you in this thread.

Statistically we've had the some of the best offenses in the NBA for some time. Im talking top 10 at worst(usually its 1-3). If we are losing games, it has been because of defense not offense. The one year we got Westbrook it was because of offense and our dude's being gassed. So I'm gonna ask, what do you mean? And for the record, we arent the only team that loses leads late in games. Comeback victories have been happening for awhile in the NBA since the 3 point revolution. And those teams take more middies than we do.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Teams can't magically transition from a "3 and lay up" offense and then competently expand their shooting range to other areas just for the clutch. It needs to be practiced and executed for it to be effective in late game situations.

And statistically we have some of the largest drop offs in scoring efficiency from reg season to post season which tells me that this playstyle only is effective in the regular season where teams play different teams every other night and don't have the time to memorize tendencies like they can in a 7 game series.

Ironically, our defense is what got us closer than any other team against the healthy KD Warriors. Every other season with Harden, the Rockets advanced like any other above average team making first or second round exists.