1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who knew it was Morey who was washed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Josh Smith, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

I have never liked Daryl Morey as a GM

bmelo likes this.
  2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I mean they do have the same amount of rings.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL Stone is using the foundation Morey built....this dude is not on Morey's level.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Nah. Morey's greatest problem was he built a team in the era of the greatest team in basketball history that will never be topped from a pure talent standpoint.

A very convenient fact left out by people who tend to hate on Morey/Harden/et all

5. Downtown Sniper

Why? He allowed the franchise you follow to get out from basketball purgatory.

Weird take.

tycoonchip and HP3 like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You realize that stone was very likely just executing on what Morey was planning to do?

HP3 likes this.
  7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Morey is no scout. I’ll give him credit if Nwaba but Christian Wood was a no brainer.

Christian Wood really was the NBA dummy test for fans and front offices. How smart are you when it really counts? Can you see talent?

Warriors went and got freaking Wiggins and gave Oubre the MLE. DUMMIES.

Dallas got James Johnson from Detroit for a decent Delon Wright DUMMIES.

MIL almost traded Donte for overrated Bogodanavich and lost a Wood and Brogdon the last two years, and gave away everything for Holiday. Dummies.....

Lakers, Celtics, Rockets, Heat probably have the best scouting in the league IMO.

But all that is to say, Morey had some atrocious moves as far as developing talent.

Tucker and Luc were recruited by CP3. He wanted freaking Shumpert and a poor fit in Iguodala.

Houston never ever used Nene in the post or on dribble hand offs even though he was an amazing passer.

Melton, Hartenstein, RoCo the first time... Harrell got no development or trust. Capela barely played over Howard. House barely got run the first time.

A lot of misuse of talent has happened under Morey. He and D’Antoni were a terrible combo for this stuff.

ipaman and rockets1995 like this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

[QUOTE="LorneMalvo, post: 13307448, member: 62783

Houston never ever used Nene in the post or on dribble hand offs even though he was an amazing passer.

Melton, Hartenstein, RoCo the first time... Harrell got no development or trust. Capela barely played over Howard. House barely got run the first time.

A lot of misuse of talent has happened under Morey. He and D’Antoni were a terrible combo for this stuff.[/QUOTE]
    That's because we didnt need to use Nene that way at all.

Melton was used for cost cutting Fertitta, Hartenstein is really not that good and was also not played by Mike. Howard was still a brand name that you cant just bench like that. And House sucks ass right now. And was trash in the playoffs.

And please dont blame Morey for Iman Shumpert when that cost cutting for Tillman.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Daryl Morey sure loses Talent in Coaching and Players

Nick Nurse - RGV Vipers Champion, Raptors won a Championship

Robert Covington - released as a Rocket Rookie over Old Francisco Garcia

Danuel House signed him 2 times

Christian Wood was released by Daryl from the Vipers Summer League Team, I really liked Christian during that time. Very sad he got released. The lack of Centers made me think Dantoni would've never played Christian at all.

Very Happy the Rockets got Christian Wood back to the Rockets.

Hassan Whiteside - RGV Vipers, Double Double

LorneMalvo and IBTL like this.
  10. HardenVolumeOne

hoping hartenstein doesn’t come back to bite us in the ass too. The nuggets forums can’t stop raving about him

11. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Some visionaries have been delivering devastating criticisms of Morey the Moron for years. It just took the unwashed masses some time to catch up because we were ahead of the curve.

12. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Best bench and best big paired with Harden. Wall & Boogie still need to get their rhythm back but they will be good. Wall might not be the perfect fit like Cp3 was but it’s better than Russ.

We just need Green back hopefully Stone is able to trade Clemons even if it’s by giving a 2nd rounder. Green would be a nice spark of the bench with Ben for our shooters. We got Tate, David, Pj, Brown for our hustle & energy guys we cousins probably add House & Green for Energy, too.

Josh Smith likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cleverly-disguised Morey Only Hater thread

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They couldn't beat the warriors without Durant either.

15. Downtown Sniper

Oh, you mean the time they had the most winning-est season in all of basketball history?

So by this standard... every single person in every single front office of every single franchise bar LeBron should essentially be labelled rubbish and useless and trash. Is that how it works?

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so many hot takes.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I will say.

He traded Josh Richardson and pick 36 for Seth Curry.

Yea, Seth is a great shooter but did he get confused and think he was trading for Steph? Feel like Dallas should have attached the pick in that deal. Morey has to pay a Harden tax in every trade because GMs don't trust him.

ashleyem and DreamShook like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this statement. It's all about the parking lot 3 and 6' 7 tweeners.
    Go up by 9 with three- 3pointers then turn around and play no defense and your smallest dude guarding the center.

I love morey and I believe his ability to tinker and trade is unmatched. The way he brought harden to rockets was amazing. His relentless pursuit is to be appreciated and honored. Philly ia lucky to get him..

Now that all said the tree needed shaking.
    Every hero including morey has his blind spots and just like a band always plays a certain kind of music morey teams kinda all end up being same. Bunch of pj Tucker, pat beverly Ryan Anderson types.
    Nothing wrong with them but maybe too fringe on the concept? A lot of spreadsheet and video game type moves with a disconnect that is too focused on maybe "value" or even "cheap asset" strange "metrics" ??
    Morey poster child for treating everyone as assets..i even joke with morey himself about this and get a like. He's funny..hes cool. I'm gonna miss the guy.. heart sign.. Under morey my life is definitely different and he really is a pioneer in the analytics.i had been in things personally in work but I feel like morey is one who opened my eyes to math..kpis..etc
    I think he too recognizes the chance part as the out for his stats life approach. 1 out of 10 times you will die haha..

Rockets lose a lot with him gone but I do wonder now shaking the tree if rockets can take all his teachings and ways and extrapolate the best..i know nothing of fertita son but I'm hoping him following morey he was able to glean..

Then from there you add/keep solid guys like Lucas silas and you allow stone guy to keep rolling. Have your "ops guys " be ops guys and maybe old fern bot ain't so bad
    .. I imagine they were phasing out morey ..morey no idiot saw this too..

I like what fertita is doing and if can take all best parts and keep humming can maybe come out of this for the better..big maybe..
    Morey is that good though ..to be safe id probably do zero deals with him haha

Ramo$e likes this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I thought this team, this year in particular, were going to be a pleasant surprise. He's been in the background the whole time, soaking up GM knowledge. He's a lawyer, the chance he gets shafted in a deal is minuscule. Love it!

Josh Smith likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morley is a good GM but he was overrated because of his "hip" presence, always available. You have other guys like Presti (talent finder geez...) Riley (quiet forceful master) Ainge ( asset hoarder) Masai (value/risk mgmt) and others who do it differently. Morley (math nerd who loves big names) isn't quite on those guys level imo.

Ramo$e and J.R. like this.