1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Obviously, in a vacuum, this is a bad deal. We get objectively worse, especially when considering Wall's injury history, and don't get more than a middle of the road asset in return. But we aren't operating in a vacuum, and I think fans are having a hard time coming to grips with the state of the Rockets and Russell in particular. You're kidding yourself if you thought we could get an Aaron Gordon type of player out of this trade, and what were you going to get from CLT, a corpse of a wing in Batum prior to getting stretched? Come on.

At the end of the day, if everybody is healthy, we'll probably be a 3, 4, or 5 seed, and if Wall struggles to stay on the court, we'll be 7, 8, or 9. Either way, we'll know by the trade deadline and can use that as an indicator of how we should proceed with Harden. Do we go full tank and try to lock up a Ben Simmons type of player in a deal, or do we compete?

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Too bad people didn't use that philosophy with Chris Paul. He is the biggest b**** ever on the court. Never seen a player get away with so many trash flops and flails.

Great player, but a total piece of **** out there. Fair weather fans complain about Harden, but Paul makes Manu Ginobili's antics look reasonable in comparison.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It would be funny.

My point was: This mindset that "BUT BUT BUT, HE WASN'T GOING TO PLAY" is probably not true. No matter how disgruntled he is, he isn't giving up $550,000 a game over any perceived slight.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

It isnt about the championship its about how the Rox took on Wall's contract for just 1 FRP when OKC had to receive 5 picks to take on Cp3. Even if it works out in the end the Rox still got scammed twice.

If your ex cheated on you and that caused you to meet your wife, that doesnt mean your ex is forgiven for being an unfaithful b****.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yep. The sad thing is the Rox are gonna rebuild with 30 yr old Cousins and 30 yr old Wall. I'd rather just blow it all up and let 25 yr old Wood take all the shots and tank for picks.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Worse yet they'll either have to ride out Wall's contract Or spend even more picks to dump it elsewhere.

roslolian, RasaqBoi and daywalker02 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was hoping for someone significantly younger or a slightly smaller contract plus more players for depth purposes.

roslolian likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we all were .... this is pretty much worst case scenario - replace Westbrook with another point guard that eats up a huge percentage of the cap.

You'd think after two attempts at pairing Harden with a star PG they'd learn their lesson - get a quality 3 or 4 who isn't ball dominant (and some depth).

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Has anyone noticed the contradictory and illogical assumptions made by the media? Many of these so called “analysts” and writers such as Chris Broussard doubt that Cousins will get back to elite form. Meanwhile they all assume Durant will be back in elite form. Not sure why there are two narratives when they both suffered the same injury. The media sure is funny.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hey, at some point they would be running out of overpaid PGs of yesterday that they could possibly trade for.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. izeroi

izeroi Member

I knew our trading options were limited but I think I would have rather just kept WB than traded him for Wall. With Wall not having played in 2 years and the ridiculous contract he has this trade makes me a little nervous. If he can actually stay healthy then great.

roslolian likes this.
  13. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

what a petty comment. u just HAD to include that last sentence didn't u? lol.. like another poster said, grow up.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If Wall doesn't play does Tillman collect insurance?

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So many have discounted the fact that he was being rushed back from Covid & the quad in the playoffs. Totally lost to these short sighted souls is how he played when healthy. At minimum, you let him play value back in this year. Maybe things had reached the point of no return. I don't know. But, Wall and a pick likely in the 10-15 range 3 years from now is really disappointing, as far as I'm concerned. I understand that IF healthy John might be a better fit. But, like I said earlier in this thread, I don't see him playing more than 40 - 45 % of any season while here. And at 40/yr that's a disaster. I hope Im wrong. I would have loved to have seen us spread the risk while filling needs.

Batman Jones and roslolian like this.
  16. ilias

ilias Member

Can’t see this as nothing else than an absolute disaster in terms of building a winning team. Wall is a worse player, has injury issues and a worse contract. Our upside has reduced significantly, our floor has cratered. This doesn’t even help with tanking as we add no meaningful new picks.

It’s safe to say now that Harden will be 100% traded and we are in full rebuild mode trying to gather as many picks as possible over the next 2 years. I am looking at summer of 2022 as the next step, that is when it will be possible to trade Wall’s expiring contract with picks for a star player and/or play in the FA market. That will give us a big 3 of Wood, 2022 star signing, and any young talent we get in the Harden trade (LaVert/ Simmons?) to start building a challenger again.

17. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Likely because Cousins is coming off an Achilles and a torn quad. He tore the achilles, was out a year, and then only played a handful of games before tearing his quad.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah this is the most likely scenario. I sure as hell hope we dont start marketing Cousins and Wall as our new big 2 wtf.

ashleyem likes this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Yes he had some bad luck the last 2 years.............before that he played in at least 77 games 4 seasons in a row

Wall looks really healthy and ready to bounce back

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah but still makes little sense to me. It was an ACL. Several players have come back from ACL injuries. The opinions of these expert analysts are unfounded and based on nothing.