1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: HP moving to Houston (Texas)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This is like Trevor's second stint. Gotta start rooting for them again. My HP PC is pretty nifty.

2. biina

biina Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HP has always been in Houston
    HPE is the non pc portion of HP that got turned into another company
    It’s cloud computing and services

Dubious and Astrodome like this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

They left California because of costs and taxes

That’s called being smart

You’re not even a Rockets fan
    Why are you here ? You can’t find Toyota center if you stood in front of the Hakeem jersey statue

china troll

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Compaq

if you don't know this word, you are clearly a troll and never came here for the Rockets

delete your account immediately and go back to realgm or yaomingmania
    @Reeko

Dubious likes this.
  6. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

HPE needs to ditch the “HP” name like Accenture needed to ditch Andersen.

But moving away from the brains powering the product isn’t the best move. Just asking Boeing.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

dude.
    There are two companies because HP broke out into HPE and HP inc.

They still have the same customers.

@durvasa

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

OK...so Compaq was in Houston on SH249 and Louetta in the Spring/Klein area. At its height in the 90s, they had like 25,000 employees at that one location (with other locations around Houston too). Not only did they have corporate offices, they did a ton of their manufacturing there.

When HP acquired Compaq, the campus BASICALLY stayed the same. Still a ton of HP employees, with only a few execs moving to California. At one point, the Houston campus was the single biggest concentration of HP employees in the world, despite having hundreds of offices everywhere.

When Randy Mott (CIO) came in, he moved a pretty good chunk to Austin, to the old Tandem site. Through various layoffs, and cut backs, plus more outsourcing of manufacturing, I believe the 249 campus came down to ~12,000 employees. Still a lot, and mostly well paid corporate jobs. Around this time, the consolidated their buildings and sold a chunk of the campus. Some of the original buildings went to an office real estate company. A big chunk went to the community College system, and the two newest/best buildings were sold to Pennzoil I believe...and then to PETEX. Then, some of the land was sold to Noble Energy and they built their HQ there.

Through all of this, there were probably 10-12,000 HP employees still there.

Then Meg Whitman: she broke up the company.

Software was spun off and merged with Microfocus. This was mostly done in CA, not a lot in Houston.

The printer and personal computer portion (consumer portion) was rebranded as HP Inc. The Houston employees for HP Inc. moved to near the Woodlands around the Exxon campus at 99/I-45 sometime last year, I believe. The HQ is still in Palo Alto California.

The IT Services portion (basically formerly the left overs of the HP acquisition of EDS) was spun off and merged with CSC to create DXC.Technology. The DXC employees moved to the Cutten Road data center. That office has slowly emptied out, even pre-pandemic, as employees were either let go, OR they were allowed to work remote. DXC, while maintaining the Data Center, has recently stated all employees can work remote forever, except for people whose job requires on site. The DXC HQ is outside Washington, DC.

The HPE portion (probably more than half of the Houston employees, and ~50,000 employees world wide), is the Enterprise to Enterprise business. Mostly running data centers, cloud computing, Server manufacturing, etc...it was left at the 249 location. Since that location has flooded multiple times, they've decided to build a new building near Exxon, South of the Woodlands. This company still had the HQ in California, and its THIS company that has decided to move its HQ to Houston. The impact: most of the Houston HPE employees were ALREADY IN HOUSTON. This will bring in probably 100s of jobs from CA, not 1,000s. The good news is that it keeps a pretty good sized IT employer in the Houston area, but its not as big as an addition as you'd think due to the fact they were already here.

One last note, and one that creates confusion: the HP inc. company and the HPE company will now basically be next door to each other at the 99/I-45 location.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

thanks

this is like in the GARM where I have to explain to dummies we are the houston rockets and not the new york knicks

10. Supermac34

The two remaining HP named companies, HP Inc, and HPE kept the HP portion because that brand is STILL one of the most respected and recognizable in the world, despite the company being not what it once was.

"HP" on a resume STILL carries a ton of weight, and when you're negotiating a big contract with a CIO or CEO, its best if the person has heard of your company.

11. Supermac34

People in Houston should know their Compaq history. Younger folks don't realize how revolutionary Compaq was. At the time it was the fastest company to hit $1billion in revenue. It stormed the PC market and challenged IBM. The history is both happy and sort of sad, and there are probably some folks on this board that lived through some or all of it.

The mergers of Tandem, Digital, HP, EDS are all basically in textbooks about how to fail at acquiring companies.

tinman likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

And people should not join Clutchfans from foreign countries just to post in the D&D and never talk about the Rockets

we've deleted a few of them already, i still see they are popping up here

13. tinman

Supporting Member

also the D&D is a bunch of Lillith fair , art history rejects who work at subway part time and hate corporate americas cause their friends got real degrees

the don't know a thing about businesses and corporations

they believe in taxes so they can fund their bum weed lifestyle while real people work

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I worked at Compaq from 2000 to merger and then for HP until 2005. I worked for the ProLiant business... which was a great place pre-merger. I was asked to work in the "clean room" and post merger the place was never the same. The move from Capella to Carly was a huge blow to the company. The HP people were slow, political, and I could tell horror stories of really dumb business decisions to protect the HP crap. I miss the old Compaq days... lots of really cool people and products.

Dubious, durvasa and Supermac34 like this.
  15. biina

biina Member

Its smart for the company and their shareholders, but its bad for the average citizens, whose hard earned money pays the taxes that are being used to fatten the coffers of these companies.

But your take is not surprising, given that it is the essence of the gospel of trickle down economics preached by the GOP i.e. corporations and the wealthy getting uber rich is good for the average guy. Only idiots and sheeple would still believe that BS

16. biina

biina Member

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe!

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Why is this in D&D?

This move is like the jilted stalker ex-girlfriend moving halfway across the country to be near you. HPE, it’s over. We broke up years ago. We had some good memories at the old, busted 249 site, hanging out in the Commons, watching the assembly line in building M5, walking the length of the Spine... but those days are gone now. Go peddle your servers somewhere else. Last thing we need is MORE traffic in Springwoods Village during rush hour. (Seriously, you guys don’t know how crappy it is to be sandwiched between I-45 and 99 without any back roads in or out of the area.)

Nothing was worse than the Mark Hurd years. (Well, okay, Leo Apotheker was pretty bad, too.) HP did pretty well under Hurd, yes, but employee morale was never lower. That man cut things to the bone, and everyone was so demoralized.

Dubious likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I love my Subaru. The other stuff, though, is not me.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

You are sort of right and wrong,

It is news and it is not news. Those relocated HPE people will just move in the ALREADY BUILT building next to Exxon and Southwestern energy.

They have a really nice movie theater in Springwoods, hope COVID didn't ruin it.

Hardy Toll Road brother! Ain't no traffic

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

This isn’t really news at all. It’s not like HPE spent a bunch of money to build a campus in the Bay Area, and now they’re back pedaling. They’ve been using the Aruba office in San Jose they already owned, and yes, they were already building the Springwoods site for the sizable amount of HPE employees already in Houston.

Jumping between HPE and HP, Inc. employment happens so much, it might as well be a recognized sport. And with the 2 offices in walking distance of each other, it might even accelerate now.

BTW, HP, Inc has also been slowly divesting itself of its property in the Bay Area, too. After selling off the land which became Apple’s “spaceship” campus, HP is now consolidating orgs in a small number of buildings at the Palo Alto HQ and renting out space to other companies. Will HP relocate entirely someday? Probably not, but with WFH/hybrid workplace quickly becoming a staple for tech companies, I think the days of large campuses are over. (Looking at you, Microsoft, who has its own freaking shuttle system to get around all the buildings in Redmond.)

tinman likes this.